• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the most you have ever paid for a comic?

129 posts in this topic

Seems like a pointless measuring exercise to me...
It is. Every time this topic comes up.

It is not at all. It is very interesting to see each person’s motivations in collecting, and the reasons for which they would, or would not, spend so much on a single book.

I've bought two copies of ToS 39. I paid ten dollars for one in 1978(F, maybe F+), the most I had ever spent on a book at the time.

Then when I returned to collecting in '08, I paid $1,400 for a really nicely presenting CGC 4.0.

Woops: forgot about the $1,500 I spent on an AF15 that ended up having a repro cover, dealing with which led me to these boards.

The most I spent in all cash was $1600 for my AF #15, while in a cash/trade deal for my TEC #29 I spent $2500. I feel the most comfortable in the $400-$500 sweet spot when buying key comics though, anything above that is a strain for a while.

The most I have ever spent on one book was a combination of cash and trade of 3k for an X-men #1. That was perhaps 15 years ago. The books was supposed to be NM.

I had it CGC'd and it came back an 8.5, but PLOD. Unfortunately by the time I had this done, the store had gone out of business and even though the phone is still working and taking messages the Dealer MIKE FRANK of Woodland Hills CA would never return the call.

I have spent over 10K three times but that was on collections or groupings of books. I think 11k on 17000 books which included near full runs of silver age marvels and DC including DD1 avengers 1 4 etc. It did NOT include ASM 1 FF1 or AF15 but still a great purchase from over 20 years ago.

The second was Buying the best remaining books from a dealer who had closed his hole in the wall store. That purchase included the three Marvel keys missing from above ( in grades 2.0- maybe 4.0) as well as another 100 books

The last time was for several Golden age CGC books including NY Worlds Fair 1939 (5.5), Special Edition 1 (6.5), Big All American 1 (6.5), Comic Cavalcade 1 (6.0) , and several other books. That was closer to 20k all in. That purchase was about 10 years ago, and I have not made a purchase of over 1k since.

more than $1

woah woah woah slow down big fella. I am still in the more than .50c category.

What is the point of a thread like this? Seems like a pointless measuring exercise to me...

My drek is sexier than your drek.

I had it CGC'd and it came back an 8.5, but PLOD. Unfortunately by the time I had this done, the store had gone out of business and even though the phone is still working and taking messages the Dealer MIKE FRANK of Woodland Hills CA would never return the call.

Huh.

I knew a Mike Frank from my hometown who was into comics.

I wonder if that's the same guy....

hm

The most I have ever spent on one book was a combination of cash and trade of 3k for an X-men #1. That was perhaps 15 years ago. The books was supposed to be NM.

I have spent over 10K three times but that was on collections or groupings of books. I think 11k on 17000 books which included near full runs of silver age marvels and DC including DD1 avengers 1 4 etc. It did NOT include ASM 1 FF1 or AF15 but still a great purchase from over 20 years ago.

The second was Buying the best remaining books from a dealer who had closed his hole in the wall store. That purchase included the three Marvel keys missing from above ( in grades 2.0- maybe 4.0) as well as another 100 books

The last time was for several Golden age CGC books including NY Worlds Fair 1939 (5.5), Special Edition 1 (6.5), Big All American 1 (6.5), Comic Cavalcade 1 (6.0) , and several other books. That was closer to 20k all in. That purchase was about 10 years ago, and I have not made a purchase of over 1k since.

Sweet books :)

My first big buy was around 1985 it was $150 for an x-men 1 in about 3.0 with a detached cover.

Same year I found an AF15 cover less for $30. Yep regret selling that a few years later.

Most recently bought a FF5 in qualified 1.0 for $150.

If only I had the money some of you do.

Most I've spent is $23 on a low grade raw Marvel Super Heroes 18.

Nothing wrong with that. It's more important that you have fun collecting than how much you spend on books. Some of my favorite books cost me less than $1.

It's also good to spend within your means. I've only used a credit card for a couple purchases and paid them off immediately.

Just have fun collecting!