• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your CGC Boards Origin Story
5 5

432 posts in this topic

I don't believe I've ever posted in here. I came here initially from a link from Rich Johnston (I know) from Iirc his old CBR column about the Jason Ewert scandal, and I've been a regular lurker since. I finally decided to sign up back in 2017 I think, even though I thought I'd get laughed straight out of here if I tried to contribute in any way, but nearly everyone is pretty decent, and some are fantastic people I love chatting to. 

I joined the CGC boards in 2003 with the user name Rob, and used to be very active here.  Probably haven't posted in 10 years, and am trying to get my old ID back.  Anyone know who I should contact about that? 

On 1/20/2022 at 6:48 PM, Rob9874 said:

I joined the CGC boards in 2003 with the user name Rob, and used to be very active here.  Probably haven't posted in 10 years, and am trying to get my old ID back.  Anyone know who I should contact about that? 

@CGC Mike

• Administrator
On 1/20/2022 at 8:38 PM, Domo Arigato said:
On 1/20/2022 at 7:48 PM, Rob9874 said:

@CGC Mike

Let me look into this.

• Administrator
On 1/20/2022 at 7:48 PM, Rob9874 said:

I have sent you a PM.  This should be an easy fix.  :wishluck:

Hey everyone,

This all really started when my cousin got me a CGC graded comic for my birthday a couple of years ago. It was the second appearance of Falcon signed by Stan Lee. Since then, I've purchased a few graded comics from comic book stores and eBay.

Recently I dusted off my old collection and having had a look online, found that I had a few ungraded grails. I decided to plump for the membership last week and sent my first 5 off! Can't wait to get them back!!

On 5/30/2022 at 6:52 PM, Imran5x said:

Hey everyone,

This all really started when my cousin got me a CGC graded comic for my birthday a couple of years ago. It was the second appearance of Falcon signed by Stan Lee. Since then, I've purchased a few graded comics from comic book stores and eBay.

Recently I dusted off my old collection and having had a look online, found that I had a few ungraded grails. I decided to plump for the membership last week and sent my first 5 off! Can't wait to get them back!!

Best of luck with them!

On 5/30/2022 at 3:52 AM, Imran5x said:

Hey everyone,

Welcome to the boards! Good luck with the submission!

Curious what tier did you send them in ?

:gossip: Hopefully not Economy slow track. 

(They are taking about a year .) 

I joined because I wanted to be somewhere where I (perhaps unfairly on my part) assumed there'd be a host of people who were well steeped in comics history and knowledgeable about comics publishing and such. I've met some great folk I look up to and respect but also have experienced guys who say "I don't know much about this" but then proceed to argue things that are easily researchable- which I'm used to with topical events but not with comics! So the discourse on comics publishing history has been slow. But, I've been genuinely enriched and educated just by reading and not responding to great advice and stories sharing the experience of many sellers on this board which is both invaluable and appreciated.

On 5/30/2022 at 12:39 PM, Namtak said:

I joined the boards for a good time writing about comics ,films and video games,know more about comics and such and may i say i wasnt disapointed!i learned and laughed so much thank to yall(thumbsuand  not judging  too much on my bad writting lol@kav @Comics4All!sintence?

yep

On 5/30/2022 at 3:39 PM, Namtak said:

I joined the boards for a good time writing about comics ,films and video games,know more about comics and such and may i say i wasnt disapointed!i learned and laughed so much thank to yall(thumbsuand  not judging  too much on my bad writting lol@kav @Comics4All!sintence?

@Namtak I never judge you on your Spelin! 

You are awesome! 

On 5/30/2022 at 4:39 PM, Comics4All said:

@Namtak I never judge you on your Spelin! 

You are awesome! 

:D i know but in a year you guys helped me restructured my sentences in a helpfull way(thumbsui reread some of my first posts and even i have dificulties reading them :roflmao:!(english being my second langage and all).:cheers:

On 5/30/2022 at 4:38 PM, Namtak said:

:D i know but in a year you guys helped me restructured my sentences in a helpfull way(thumbsui reread some of my first posts and even i have dificulties reading them :roflmao:!(english being my second langage and all).:cheers:

:shy:

On 5/30/2022 at 5:38 PM, Namtak said:

I am fairly certain if I was to try to converse en francais, I would make more grammatical errors than you! 

On 5/31/2022 at 1:51 PM, FFB said:

I joined in February 2004 after winning an eBay auction from Comic-Keys for an expensive book.  I believe it was an ASM #1 in about raw VF for roughly $10k, but as it was almost 20 years ago, I could be remembering the wrong book.  I do remember the $10k price though, and I'm pretty sure it was an ASM1.

I called CGC about getting it graded as I had never sent a book in before, and whoever I spoke to forwarded my call to Steve Borock.  I spoke to Steve on the phone and he asked me who I bought the book from.  When I told him, he said, "Oh no, he's one of the worst scammers on eBay," and referred me to this forum where there had just been a huge thread about a recent article linking Comic-Keys to Danny Dupcak.  I cancelled the transaction with Comic-Keys and likely dodged a bullet on a trimmed book. 

I started posting around that time and was one of the most active posters for several years, until around 2009 when my first son was born.  I took a break from buying books for about a decade until recently, when my younger son got interested in collecting and I started helping him get his collection started. 

This is a great forum with a lot of very knowledgeable people.  I've learned more about the hobby from these forums than from any other resource by far and have formed many long term friendships with some of my favorite people.  :cloud9:

Those were the days, when we warned about Dupcak.....