• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
3 3

1,885 posts in this topic

They say Elvis Presley got his look from Captain Marvel Jr as it was his favorite comic book as a kid.

Image result for elvis captain marvel  Image result for elvis captain marvel

http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/85/

According to Pamela Clarke Keogh’s “Elvis Presley: The Man. The Life. The Legend,” Elvis used comics as an escape. “Like a lot of kids with a chaotic home life, Elvis created his own world inside his head. He read comic books and was drawn to Superman, Batman, and, most of all, Captain Marvel Jr. Around the age of 12, Elvis discovered Captain Marvel Jr. and quickly became almost obsessed with him.”

Billy Smith, a lifelong friend of Elvis’ and member of the so-called Memphis Mafia, concurs. “One of the comics Elvis read when he was a kid was Captain Marvel Jr. He went after Captain Nazi during WWII. And he had this dual image -- normal, everyday guy and super crime-fighter. Sounds like Elvis, don’t it?”

Finally, Elvis himself once mentioned comic books in a speech."When I was a child, I was a dreamer," Elvis said. "I read comic books, and I was the hero of the comic book.”

So, there can be no doubt that Elvis Presley did, indeed, read and love Captain Marvel Jr. comic books.

6 hours ago, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

Kudos to the Costume Designer Leah Butler for the throwback Captain Marvel Jr. Blue and touch of Cape Red in Jack Dylan's character wardrobe.  It's adhering to the nuances of The Marvel Family source material like this that makes for an entertaining movie. Nice. (thumbsu

5abee81f13370_CaptainMarvelJr_Blue.png.9da1862fd268a1642da8ce76ad00f9cf.png5abee83de69d2_CaptainMarvelJr..jpg.4bcae3a5a7c6764ac1bb9400e4f83f15.jpg

I still think they should have cast Fred Savage in the role of Freddy Freeman...

:wink:

38 minutes ago, Batman said:

Despite my reservations about the storyline, I'm still looking forward to the movie. How long do we have to wait again...?

waiting.gif

From next week Thursday... 52 weeks.  Maybe DC Films or New Line Cinema will have a cast panel or exhibit a sneaky peak mid-July at SDCC this year. :wishluck:

1 hour ago, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

From next week Thursday... 52 weeks.  Maybe DC Films or New Line Cinema will have a cast panel or exhibit a sneaky peak mid-July at SDCC this year. :wishluck:

52 weeks. I can do 52 weeks. I like 52... even the new one. Well, some of it anyway...

Spoiler

257324_20120919152322_large.jpg

I thought this backup story in Justice League was pretty good.

Edited by Batman

13 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Is this movie suppose to be a comedy...like GOTG or Deadpool?  I find myself saying WTF a lot when I see these pictures.

Again, not saying it won't be a good movie...just confused right now.

With all the nutty comedy posts the director has made about this movie over the months, what led you to believe this would be serious? Even the Mark Strong casting could lead to comedy mixed with drama and action. Look what he delivered in Kingsman 2.

37 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

With all the nutty comedy posts the director has made about this movie over the months, what led you to believe this would be serious? Even the Mark Strong casting could lead to comedy mixed with drama and action. Look what he delivered in Kingsman 2.

I haven't kept up with Shazam.  The last thing I saw/read about was the picture of the costume and I said "WTF"lol.

Now I'm curious of what direction they will go with Black Adam(shrug).

14 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Is this movie suppose to be a comedy...like GOTG or Deadpool?  I find myself saying WTF a lot when I see these pictures.

Again, not saying it won't be a good movie...just confused right now.

:gossip:

They need to go that way with Shazam. Shazam`s world is vastly different than Batman's Gotham or Daredevil's Hell's Kitchen,

Not all super hero universes have to read like a Frank Miller or Alan Moore comic book.

:foryou:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Zachari Levi Calls Out 'Shazam' Suit Haters

Over the weekend, Levi went live on Instagram to answer questions from fans, when one person commented, "WHY THE SUIT." Of course, Levi chose to address this and he did so in arguably the best way possible, being totally respectful to the commenter while also slamming the hate for the suit floating around social media.

"'Why the suit?' WOW! Okay, well I don't think it's a suit. I think my suit is f---in' bomb, to be perfectly honest," Levi said in the live video. "I know that there hasn't been an officially released photo yet, but there have been incredibly high quality photos that have been released. And I think any of you people out there who are still hung up on what the suit looks like are just wanting to be angry for angry's sake. I think you're very insecure, you probably are dealing with some stuff in your own life, and you feel a little powerless, and I'm sorry that you do. Wherever you're at and whatever you're going through, I'm sorry that you're going through that."

"But, I do think you should probably take a second and reflect on why you're as negative as you are about maybe anything in life, and then re-look at the suit and go, 'Actually hey, you know what? They're trying really hard to make something that's awesome and that pleases a lot of different people,' because Captain Marvel's been around for a really long time and has had a whole bunch of different iterations of suits. So, you can't win 'em all, but you can at least hope that people will give you a fair shake."

Levi ended the video by just saying that, if you still aren't willing to give something a fair shake, than there isn't much that can be done. "For any of you out there that still don't think you've been given a fair shake, and don't wanna give us a fair shake, well then...sucks to your assmar, I don't know what to tell you."