• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
3 3

1,885 posts in this topic

The original concept for this movie had great potential. Removing Black Adam was a mistake. He's without a doubt one of the best villains there is. I can only guess that The Rock persuaded DC to give him his "own show". If BA is introduced as an antagonist for Superman and not "Shazam", I'm going to burn all my Captain Marvel books  >:(

19 hours ago, kimik said:

Hopefully this movie is a pleasant surprise, but I have not really seen anything so far to say it will be a hit. (shrug)

My thoughts exactly. Once Black Adam was removed from the storyline, the whole thing took a step backwards. If Dr Sivana is going to be the villain, they'll have to work very hard to stop the movie descending into Lois & Clarksville...

21 hours ago, kimik said:

Hopefully this movie is a pleasant surprise, but I have not really seen anything so far to say it will be a hit. (shrug)

I have funny feeling this movie will be Superman done right, and when it's over people will like the Shazam character from this movie  more than the BvS version of Superman.

This wll be a fun movie with no Superman/Batman baggage.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

2 hours ago, Batman said:

My thoughts exactly. Once Black Adam was removed from the storyline, the whole thing took a step backwards. If Dr Sivana is going to be the villain, they'll have to work very hard to stop the movie descending into Lois & Clarksville...

Might have been smart move as do we need another dark Superman angle?

Shazam sounds like it will be a fun family movie like GotG now.

6 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I have funny feeling this movie will be Superman done right, and when it's over people will like the Shazam character from this movie  more than the BvS version of Superman.

This wll be a fun movie with no Superman/Batman baggage.

Or it will be a total flop because they are taking the more complicated approach (i.e. group of kids) to Captain Marvel and the villain comes across as geriatric Lex, which is basically all that he is. 

Mind you, Sivana does resemble Freddy Kruger a bit - I would be down for a Freddy vs. Shazam movie.

Edited by kimik

2 minutes ago, kimik said:

Or it will be a total flop because they are taking the more complicated approach (i.e. group of kids) to Captain Marvel and the villain comes across as geriatric Lex, which is basically all that he is.

or the Lex Luthor was so bad in BvS that this Sivana will look good. 

It won't take much for Sivana to be an improvement over the last few Lex Luthors who have popped up in Superman Returns and BvS.

Shazam vs. Freddy would be a much better film. He could torment the kids all throughout the movie before they unite and form Captain Marvel to defeat him at the end. 

Edited by kimik

19 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Might have been smart move as do we need another dark Superman angle?

Shazam sounds like it will be a fun family movie like GotG now.

Light, dark, fun, serious... Whatever it is, it has to be entertaining. Black Adam's character has that potential. He's extremely powerful and has a great back story. Imagine the end battle between BA and CM. Done right, it would be Superman vs Zod times ten. However, what we're looking at is Dr Sivana with an evil plan and some crazy invention. I just hope Mark Strong (an excellent actor) can pull it off.

On the bright side, if BA has been moved to his own movie, that has the potential to be very good if the focus is on his backstory and how power corrupted him.

Edited by Batman

24 minutes ago, Batman said:

On the bright side, if BA has been moved to his own movie, that has the potential to be very good if the focus is on his backstory and how power corrupted him.

I have a feeling this is what they are going for. And that sure would be  twist of a superhero movie seeing him go from good to anti-hero. 

7 hours ago, Batman said:

Light, dark, fun, serious... Whatever it is, it has to be entertaining. Black Adam's character has that potential. He's extremely powerful and has a great back story. Imagine the end battle between BA and CM. Done right, it would be Superman vs Zod times ten. However, what we're looking at is Dr Sivana with an evil plan and some crazy invention. I just hope Mark Strong (an excellent actor) can pull it off.

One thing to keep in mind. People are going to always think of The Rock as Black Adam. Can't really see Johnson playing Black Adam as a dark serious character. Most likely he will be comedic and family oriented. He will most likely be vastly different than what comic book fans envisioned with Johnson playing him.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur