• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
3 3

1,885 posts in this topic

Visuals looked good... and I certainly applaud the effort to add some humor.

HOWEVER I'm not sure how they missed this from like 20 Marvel movies... you want humor to come FROM the character's essence, not in direct opposition to it.  Shazam isn't a insufficiently_thoughtful_person.  He might be naive because he's a kid, but he does have the wisdom of Solomon ...   I think someone hit it on the head when they called this the superhero version of Big. 

Still, it's just a first trailer, that can be misleading.  The suit and actor certainly look very good.  I hope it succeeds.

2 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Ok, just saw the trailer...

- At no point did I say "wow" or "hahahaha"

- It has the Peter Parker and fat asian dude vibe

- A bit cringe worthy

Having said that, I understand that DC is trying to go in a different direction.  That should be given credit.  So I'm not going to poo poo all over it until I see the movie (which I still intend to).

I appreciate that DC is trying to go "lighter" compared with their previous films, but humor and tone are difficult lines to walk. A fraction of an inch one way or the other can be hazardous. I got an Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom vibe.....too much of a good thing. 

9 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

the trailer was underwhelming. Just my 2c 

Agree.  Looks to be even worse than green lantern.  Dumb jokes, stuff we've seen a billion times, nerd kid picked on by bullies gets super duper powers side kick goes gosh wow what else can you do just a real dud.

On 7/21/2018 at 3:45 PM, Rip said:

Looks like fun but the humor and dopey-ness of the main character (Shazam) worries me. Feels like he would have been better as the Tick.

I'll watch it, I just hope it gets more serious. 

I'm sure it will get more serious when he has to deal with the villain. The goofy schtick seems appropriate for the beginning where he's learning about his powers.

I personally think one of the (many) problems with Green Lantern is that some, including myself, couldn’t break the association of Ryan Reynolds with a smug frat-boy. 

Speaking for myself, Zachary Levi has a lot of goodwill built up because of Chuck. If Levi wasn’t cast in this part, then I would have serious misgiving about the direction they’ve taken with this and would have probably given it a pass. 

But with Levi it’s much easier for me to accept this for what it is; I’m inclined to give it a shot. 

I think the only thing that rubs me a bit is the music in the trailer and the actor playing young Billy comes off a bit smug. 

19 hours ago, Red84 said:

DC seems to have finally figured out that comic book movies are meant for kids as well as adults.

No brooding required.

Ever read any of the original Fawcett stories?

On 7/22/2018 at 12:10 AM, kav said:

Agree.  Looks to be even worse than green lantern.  Dumb jokes, stuff we've seen a billion times, nerd kid picked on by bullies gets super duper powers side kick goes gosh wow what else can you do just a real dud.

i was never able to finish reading a Shazam comic , they were just bad IMO, can't imagine the movie being any better.....