• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first PLOD

41 posts in this topic

2b. Sent to CCS but CAN remove

$6 shipping

CCS Removal $25

CGC Grading $35

Return shipping $12

Approx $80

Sale pRice $180

Net Cash Flow +$100 in 10-12 weeks

BUT you risk grade drop, BUT you might have dealer discounts! I'd probably press it too if I took this option.

Good analysis but some of your numbers are off.

Return shipping on one book valued under 500.00 from CGC is 30.00, not 12.00 .

CCS fees for resto removal and a press will be 50.00 .

'If'' it stays at 7.0 180.00 is very optimistic. In all probablility it will be a 6.5, with a FMV of 110.00 .

Using my numbers you have a 123.00 investment to sell @ 110.00 . He will be losing money .

Would the Grader's Notes say where the CT was?

Sure, let's spend more money on the book. Buy the grader's notes. I tell you, all this analysis is crazy. Speaking from experience, sell it and move on. It's less painful.

doesn't this really depend on what the owner originally had in mind for this book? If it was something to complete a run maybe hanging on to it is fine and they just want an idea what it is worth.

I don't see the point in doing anything more with this book. PLODs get dissed far too often imo. Liek some have said-- resto was common and even encouraged not long ago. Now it is frowned upon but we are talking some minor CT here. Doesn't sound like a death sentence for the book. I can only imagine 10 years from now when people start whining about the book being pressed or cleaned - standard practice for some today.

I like the attitude of some collectors though who see a restored book and like how it looks and can look past the silly purple label.

2b. Sent to CCS but CAN remove

$6 shipping

CCS Removal $25

CGC Grading $35

Return shipping $12

Approx $80

Sale pRice $180

Net Cash Flow +$100 in 10-12 weeks

BUT you risk grade drop, BUT you might have dealer discounts! I'd probably press it too if I took this option.

Good analysis but some of your numbers are off.

Return shipping on one book valued under 500.00 from CGC is 30.00, not 12.00 .

CCS fees for resto removal and a press will be 50.00 .

'If'' it stays at 7.0 180.00 is very optimistic. In all probablility it will be a 6.5, with a FMV of 110.00 .

Using my numbers you have a 123.00 investment to sell @ 110.00 . He will be losing money .

yah I was assuming the minimal resto removal, no press, and the cheap UPS shipping. of course the others are extra.

I think I personally would take the $50-$80 now.

In the early days of CGC I had a DD 1 come back as a 9.4 ... trimmed. Should have been a :cry: but I ended up selling it for more than I had bought it for (from a dealer in Australia), so it was a :)

Sure, let's spend more money on the book. Buy the grader's notes. I tell you, all this analysis is crazy. Speaking from experience, sell it and move on. It's less painful.

At what point did I say that this was something he should do or that it made smart financial sense to do so? I simply asked if CGC's Grader's Notes stated where the CT would be, that's all.

At what point did I say that this was something he should do or that it made smart financial sense to do so? I simply asked if CGC's Grader's Notes stated where the CT would be, that's all.

:sorry: Historically, from my experience, the grader's notes did not have the CT location. However, my experience is from the old days when they were free. Since they now charge for the notes, the notes are more detailed = they may give the location. In most cases there is not one single location anyway.

:sorry: Historically, from my experience, the grader's notes did not have the CT location. However, my experience is from the old days when they were free. Since they now charge for the notes, the notes are more detailed = they may give the location. In most cases there is not one single location anyway.

And notes might be useless anyway, if you can't see it in the first place.

Isn't most CT noticed under blacklight?
I have not a clue. I notice most with my naked eyes. A jeweler's loupe helps too.

If I could not see it it would not bother me.Have gotten great deals on pretty books that I had to look HARD to find the restored...if Ray,RIP, was not so honest,I never would have known.Man, I miss him guys,I really do...

Any way to remove the CT?

I just got the book back so I am not sure how extensive the color touch is.

I am sure someone with the right skill set could remove it (Matt Nelson, etc.)

My concern is that it would cost more to have someone remove the color touch than I could get on the sale of the book (vs a sale as is).

Thoughts?

Crack it and send it to PGX, they'll miss the resto and probably bump you up a full grade so you can break even and pass your problem on someone else.

:jokealert: