• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics #27 CGC 9.2
4 4

525 posts in this topic

I'm just vaguely participating in this thread like everyone else. I don't own the book so can't make any specific comments outside I would LOVE to own this book :cloud9:

I think we all would! at a 9.2, it will be as if it was fresh off the newsstands :cloud9::grin:

but its not a 9.0 its a 9.2....
ok, ok, you have point there. A 9.0 Tec vs a 9.0 Action, Action wins. A 9.2 Tec vs a 9.0 Action........Tec could take it. Especially since the "dentist" copy with all it's legend and mystic could be the best copy of Action, and it has not(will not?) come to market. This maybe the best Tec out there.

but its not a 9.0 its a 9.2....
ok, ok, you have point there. A 9.0 Tec vs a 9.0 Action, Action wins. A 9.2 Tec vs a 9.0 Action........Tec could take it. Especially since the "dentist" copy with all it's legend and mystic could be the best copy of Action, and it has not(will not?) come to market. This maybe the best Tec out there.

Again, not the best (dentist owns Allentown. 9.4/9.6)

I am not sure how the existing 8.0 could be manipulated to a 9.2. So I would hazard a guess that "no" is the obvious answer

Also heritage still has their 8.0 available on their site. The other 8.0 I've not seen but it is still on census , so more "evidence" this is a newly graded copy

I have scans of both. The Heritage and the Mastro copy that's missing. Once we get scans of this one...

It will not blow the AC1 out of the water, nor will it sell for 4M.

I wouldn't say never for anything regarding key comic prices, but I'd tend to agree. While Batman surpasses Superman in overall current popularity, Action #1 is an unequalled talisman in the collecting world, and it's image far more iconic. It is the grandaddy of all Superhero comic books, the book that launched the entire genre. Detective #27 is the first appearance of Batman. This is not an FF #1 vs. AF #15 scenario. Even collectors who have no interest in Superman feel a special awe when seeing an Action #1 in person, as if it were a Gutenberg bible or a copy of the Declaration of Independence, if I may be allowed a bit of hyperbole.

+ 1. Action 1 will always be "THE" comic book of comic books!

It would never happen. Except for that one time that an Action #1 8.0 sold for a million dollars and then DAYS LATER a Detective Comics #27 in 8.0 sells for... 1,075,000.

No way a Detective 27 could sell for more.

And... again. This is one of one at the top of the census and 1.2 points higher than the second graded best copy. The only other copy in the neighborhood is MISSING. This is a different story than just Action #1 vs. Detective #27.

Who was it that had this copy on display at Chicago?

I sold it to carbonaro so it was he who had it on display. And at sdcc too...and heroes con.

Which book are we talking about?

the restored 9.4 that was a restored 9.2

And went from Extensive to Moderate somehow.

And... again. This is one of one at the top of the census and 1.2 points higher than the second graded best copy. The only other copy in the neighborhood is MISSING. This is a different story than just Action #1 vs. Detective #27.

Agreed, on the other hand though, this is the third best known D27 in the hobby, isn't it? I agree with you that it should be the action 1 sale by a bit but IMO probably not that much. 3.8?

As, at the end of the day d27 and a1 are similar value and the d27s are generally higher grade than the A1s. I.e. The best d27 is a higher grade than the best a1, etc. I.e. there are a couple more really nice tec 27s even if there are fewer on the census right now

People like the number on the label though. So I would guess 3.8/4 range

Agreed, on the other hand though, this is the third best known D27 in the hobby, isn't it? I agree with you that it should be the action 1 sale by a bit but IMO probably not that much. 3.8?

As, at the end of the day d27 and a1 are similar value and the d27s are generally higher grade than the A1s. I.e. The best d27 is a higher grade than the best a1, etc.

It's either 2nd alone, 2nd tied or 3rd depending on whether or not this is the FN68 copy resurfacing and if it's not if it's better than that copy. If it the FN68 copy, this book was the first $100,000 comic book twenty one years ago.

Questions:

Is this the "other" high grade copy. The FN68 that sold for $81k and then $101k 20 years ago?

That was my first thought also Rob. Jerry Jacobs had some photos of him and me with the book and the book by itself from when we owned it, but he passed away last year and his wife hasn't been able to find them.

Maybe I will still recognize it if it's the same copy.

My other question is when was this copy graded and was it held out of the census until after the Action #1 sale?

Sorry but i am lost what is FN68 copy ?

The second best copy of Detective 27. It sold twice in 1993 listed in Overstreet as a FN 68 (on the 100 point scale) once for 81k and then once for 101k (the first $100,000 comic book that I'm aware of) Whatever the numerical grade at the time I've heard that it's actually much nicer and would be right around 9.2 if it were in a CGC holder.

Which is why I automatically thought of this being that copy coming back after a 21 year vacation.

Edited by rob_react

I don't buy into the "Tec #27 will NEVER pass Action #1" mantra.

There was a time when people couldn't imagine Batman topping Superman in popularity and now, we're heading into a third consecutive decade of Batman's dominance. I'm only 25 and I come from a generation that has adored Batman, while many are either indifferent towards Superman, or worse, don't even like the character.

Right now older generations, the ones who grew up many decades ago when Superman was held in much higher esteem, are the ones with the greatest spending power. Comic collecting is highly nostalgic-based, and it's no surprise to see collectors of those generations having very fond memories of Superman.

Eventually, my generation will get older, come into greater spending power and they'll have to make a decision between two books that are already similar in value. To assume, often based on little more than the "that's how it's always been" and "the significance of being the first superhero" factors, that Action #1 will always remain number one is a bit short-sided IMO.

Comparing one book's 9.0 to another's 9.2 will depend on a number of factors: eye appeal, PQ, state of preservation, venue of sale, other existing copies in similar or superior condition, timing, etc.

But in the long run, from a simple Action #1 vs. Tec #27 standpoint, we may eventually see Tec #27 as the top book in our hobby.

I don't buy into the "Tec #27 will NEVER pass Action #1" mantra.

There was a time when people couldn't imagine Batman topping Superman in popularity and now, we're heading into a third consecutive decade of Batman's dominance. I'm only 25 and I come from a generation that has adored Batman, while many are either indifferent towards Superman, or worse, don't even like the character.

Right now older generations, the ones who grew up many decades ago when Superman was held in much higher esteem, are the ones with the greatest spending power. Comic collecting is highly nostalgic-based, and it's no surprise to see collectors of those generations having very fond memories of Superman.

Eventually, my generation will get older, come into greater spending power and they'll have to make a decision between two books that are already similar in value. To assume, often based on little more than the "that's how it's always been" and "the significance of being the first superhero" factors, that Action #1 will always remain number one is a bit short-sided IMO.

Comparing one book's 9.0 to another's 9.2 will depend on a number of factors: eye appeal, PQ, state of preservation, venue of sale, other existing copies in similar or superior condition, timing, etc.

But in the long run, from a simple Action #1 vs. Tec #27 standpoint, we may eventually see Tec #27 as the top book in our hobby.

Higher grade T27 may = a higher price. But grades being equal, T27 will not surpass A1, ever, in my book. This was decided decades ago. (thumbs u

As, at the end of the day d27 and a1 are similar value and the d27s are generally higher grade than the A1s. I.e. The best d27 is a higher grade than the best a1, etc.

It's either 2nd alone, 2nd tied or 3rd depending on whether or not this is the FN68 copy resurfacing and if it's not if it's better than that copy. If it the FN68 copy, this book was the first $100,000 comic book twenty one years ago.

Do we know who graded it FN68? Do we know any of the defects on that copy?