• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics #27 CGC 9.2
4 4

525 posts in this topic

detective-27.jpg

And here's some more info about the missing book.

Killer, could see this old label 8.0 being the new 9.2. Same can't be said of the Heritage 8.0, it may be close to it's final resting place with the erasure and piece out of the bottom of the spine.

I remember trying to figure out what the defects were when I was looking at the catalog. It looks better than the grade for sure.

Yeah, that top right corner could poke a kid's eye out! :o

a little too coincidental that this shows up post the 3.2M sale. I think it's been decided it's going to auction and that's why it was cgc graded. my question is where will it be auctioned

You know what I think is coincidental to the point of ridiculous ?

If this is yet another instance where CGC delayed reporting a book in their census as part of a request from the submitter I will be more than simply disappointed concerning the ethics of a third party grader that then pretends to offer an impartial grading service.

If the high rollers get special favors from CGC, no matter what those favors are, that we 'common folk' receive then CGC is not impartial. Where do the favors end?

Where did it come out that this book was held back. It easily could have been graded in Chicago.

I remarked to what I perceived as an inference in regards the coincidence that the book arrives on census after the Action 1 was sold.

detective-27.jpg

Killer, could see this old label 8.0 being the new 9.2. Same can't be said of the Heritage 8.0, it may be close to it's final resting place with the erasure and piece out of the bottom of the spine.

I remember trying to figure out what the defects were when I was looking at the catalog. It looks better than the grade for sure.

Yeah, that top right corner could poke a kid's eye out! :o

I just looked pulled out the catalog and looked at the again and... based on the front cover I can't see anything obvious that would knock the book down all the way to 8.0.

detective-27.jpg

I'm more than a bit skeptical that the book is missing. What direct evidence is there that the book is missing besides that one reference in the lawsuit?

Has the actual owner stated he lost the book or was that just the word of Doug Allen, Mastro Pres? Was there an insurance claim filed on the book? Absent additional corroboration I'm inclined to think that it was never lost.

detective-27.jpg

I'm more than a bit skeptical that the book is missing. What direct evidence is there that the book is missing besides that one reference in the lawsuit?

Has the actual owner stated he lost the book or was that just the word of Doug Allen, Mastro Pres? Was there an insurance claim filed on the book? Absent additional corroboration I'm inclined to think that it was never lost.

The owner told more than one person that the book was missing. It may mean nothing more than he didn't want to field offers or questions about it. But he is the one who started the story.

detective-27.jpg

It's my understanding that the owner himself said the book was missing. Not that that means anything.

The story, as I originally heard it was in the context of a prospective buyer who had a deal in place to buy it and the owner came back and said the book was missing. Maybe he wanted out of the sale and came up with that as a story (my dog ate my Detective #27?)

Edited by rob_react

It is gonna blow Action 1 9.0 WP out of the water. My 2c

+1 If it was to hit the market tomorrow. Just my opinion, but I stand by it. :sumo:

then you are an insufficiently_thoughtful_person

Who posts like this? :screwy:

He does. Quite often, actually. Not quite in the spirit of the GA forums is it.

Edited by mrmyst

detective-27.jpg

It's my understanding that the owner himself said the book was missing. Not that that means anything.

The story, as I originally heard it was in the context of a prospective buyer who had a deal in place to buy it and the owner came back and said the book was missing. Maybe he wanted out of the sale and came up with that as a story (my dog ate my Detective #27?)

Thanks MrB and Rob for the additional detail. (thumbs u

It wouldn't be the first time that someone decided to back out of deal and had to scramble to find a good reason.

You guys need to sharpen your skills at deciphering Gator's posts. If he says folks are making a big assumption if they think this book is coming up for auction, the book ain't coming up for auction.

As I said earlier in the thread, it sure seems that Gator knows all but can't speak plainly due to confidentiality concerns (either contractual or personal).

You guys need to sharpen your skills at deciphering Gator's posts. If he says folks are making a big assumption if they think this book is coming up for auction, the book ain't coming up for auction.

As I said earlier in the thread, it sure seems that Gator knows all but can't speak plainly due to confidentiality concerns (either contractual or personal).

So you're saying Gator owns the book, it used to be a 2.5, and he's going to sell it at a swap meet?

So you're saying Gator owns the book, it used to be a 2.5, and he's going to sell it at a swap meet?

Just as I suspected!

Down in the L'siana Bayou! :insane:

i wish, wow, good idea :)

There is only one logical explanation for this, someone has created a time machine, traveled back in time, purchased the Detective 27, and returned to our time.

If this is the "Windy City" copy I had a chance to buy this and wanted to but didn't simply because work got in the way and communication with the seller was a little off-putting (I was hearing about it from him as well as from several other people who were telling me of a "better" book which I realized later was actually the same book which they were apparently going to buy from the seller and then resell to me. The prices quoted ranged literally, from 43K to 125K. The guy who actually had it quoted me a price toward the lower side and I was interested but then he sold it without telling me (for a price below what I was prepared to pay). When I asked him why he said that he hadn't paid for the book in full and was worried because he was told by others that "nobody wanted it."

Can't tell you how many times I have heard that the "word" on this book or that was "nobody wants it" only to hear later that "everybody wants it".

Why would there be a Windy City copy of Tec 27? That collection contained only #1 issues.

But it does sound like a story about the "other" high grade Detective 27. And the fact is that it kind of wasn't paid for twice. Jerry originally purchased the book from Geppi and only gave him a 5K deposit. Shortly after this sale the first Sotheby's copy comes to auction and sells for $55K. Of course now Geppi wants to get paid for his much nicer copy (and why shouldn't he?)

Jerry initially didn't have all the money to complete the purchase, so I agreed to buy half of the book for 20K which he could give to Geppi and finish paying for the book. Only Jerry never gives Geppi the money. So now I own half a book that is unpaid for and the original owner is getting upset and I think telling other dealers/collectors not to buy it from us as it's not paid for. I tell Geppi I can't pay him for what's owed on the book when I've already given Jerry 20K, and tell Jerry he needs to get this settled immediately and get Geppi and I both paid. He sells the book for an incredible discount to Oklahoma Dave, pays Geppi and I off and Oklahoma Dave turns around and flips the 27 back to Geppi for $81K and sets a new record price for a book at the same time.

A pretty sour experience all around. :(

Sean, it continues to amaze me that in a hobby rife with undercapitalized buyers who are constantly creating massive amounts of drama with their inability to pay fully and on time, whether because they never had the money or getting the money was contingent on getting some other deal done (which inevitably seems to fall through), that sellers continued to give up possession before being paid in full.

As a seller, I would've said that I was happy to work with a buyer, and if he wanted time payments, I could make that happen, but the book stays in my possession until I've received payment in full.

detective-27.jpg

Thanks MrB and Rob for the additional detail. (thumbs u

It wouldn't be the first time that someone decided to back out of deal and had to scramble to find a good reason.

Wait a minute, are you trying to intimate that someone involved in the hobby of collecting comics might have lied?!?! :ohnoez: