• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics #27 CGC 9.2
4 4

525 posts in this topic

I believe it's been stated before - for a time Detective 27 was worth more than Action 1 according to Overstreet.

it's also been pretty well established that you can't really rely on Overstreet value for what a book is actually selling for.

+1, especially GA. If they were guide, I could afford most of the ones I want! lol

a little too coincidental that this shows up post the 3.2M sale. I think it's been decided it's going to auction and that's why it was cgc graded. my question is where will it be auctioned

I don't think anything has been decided and I'm willing to bet that we don't see it coming to auction anytime soon.. (thumbs u

There is only one logical explanation for this, someone has created a time machine, traveled back in time, purchased the Detective 27, and returned to our time.

If this is the "Windy City" copy I had a chance to buy this and wanted to but didn't simply because work got in the way and communication with the seller was a little off-putting (I was hearing about it from him as well as from several other people who were telling me of a "better" book which I realized later was actually the same book which they were apparently going to buy from the seller and then resell to me. The prices quoted ranged literally, from 43K to 125K. The guy who actually had it quoted me a price toward the lower side and I was interested but then he sold it without telling me (for a price below what I was prepared to pay). When I asked him why he said that he hadn't paid for the book in full and was worried because he was told by others that "nobody wanted it."

Can't tell you how many times I have heard that the "word" on this book or that was "nobody wants it" only to hear later that "everybody wants it".

Why would there be a Windy City copy of Tec 27? That collection contained only #1 issues.

But it does sound like a story about the "other" high grade Detective 27. And the fact is that it kind of wasn't paid for twice. Jerry originally purchased the book from Geppi and only gave him a 5K deposit. Shortly after this sale the first Sotheby's copy comes to auction and sells for $55K. Of course now Geppi wants to get paid for his much nicer copy (and why shouldn't he?)

Jerry initially didn't have all the money to complete the purchase, so I agreed to buy half of the book for 20K which he could give to Geppi and finish paying for the book. Only Jerry never gives Geppi the money. So now I own half a book that is unpaid for and the original owner is getting upset and I think telling other dealers/collectors not to buy it from us as it's not paid for. I tell Geppi I can't pay him for what's owed on the book when I've already given Jerry 20K, and tell Jerry he needs to get this settled immediately and get Geppi and I both paid. He sells the book for an incredible discount to Oklahoma Dave, pays Geppi and I off and Oklahoma Dave turns around and flips the 27 back to Geppi for $81K and sets a new record price for a book at the same time.

A pretty sour experience all around. :(

This brings back some memories of my conversations with Jerry about what must be the same book. I had seen it advertised for 55K and Jerry was asking 65. Since I had recently seen it for 55 I figured his markup was 10K, but I learned later he'd only "bought" it for 43.

Anyway, I had spoken with him about it and was interested even if the 65K had to be the price. So I asked him to send me a scan. He said he would. Then never sent the scan. Next thing I heard he had sold it. He knew I had the cash to pay for it but just didn't follow through and made a worse deal. It was a strange experience.

But what he'd told me was real. There was much effort to suppress the price -- concurrent with pressure to finish the payments quick or return the book. So apparently he got played. Though at the same time he was playing others (including me, on that book and on others I'd consigned to him), so it was a two-way street, I guess.

Edited by bluechip

I have a tec 27 so my book would be Tec 27 over Action 1.

Now the 9.0 Action those pages so bright and white WOW even if you like Tec 27 over Action 1 you have to love the pages. Would love to see page for page on a white 27.

If the DAs copy is the one he told me he got 28 years ago NM/Mint I would love to see it.

Back then NM/Mint could be 8.0 up

good point. grading standards have evolved over the years. Maybe this is his copy?

If the DAs copy is the one he told me he got 28 years ago NM/Mint I would love to see it.

Back then NM/Mint could be 8.0 up

good point. grading standards have evolved over the years. Maybe this is his copy?

grading standards changed but so has MAXIMIZATION methods

and today a 8.0 with pressing, dry cleaning, and many other things = 9.0 so the reverse is even more true ;)

wow, what a jaw dropper, now is truly the time to be a comic book fan!

I just got finished watching the comic book version of the super bowl

with the Action auction and now this shows up...

A friggin' comic version of a Woolly Mammoth sighting!

UNBELIEVABLE!

I don't buy into the "Tec #27 will NEVER pass Action #1" mantra.

There was a time when people couldn't imagine Batman topping Superman in popularity and now, we're heading into a third consecutive decade of Batman's dominance. I'm only 25 and I come from a generation that has adored Batman, while many are either indifferent towards Superman, or worse, don't even like the character.

Right now older generations, the ones who grew up many decades ago when Superman was held in much higher esteem, are the ones with the greatest spending power. Comic collecting is highly nostalgic-based, and it's no surprise to see collectors of those generations having very fond memories of Superman.

Eventually, my generation will get older, come into greater spending power and they'll have to make a decision between two books that are already similar in value. To assume, often based on little more than the "that's how it's always been" and "the significance of being the first superhero" factors, that Action #1 will always remain number one is a bit short-sided IMO.

Comparing one book's 9.0 to another's 9.2 will depend on a number of factors: eye appeal, PQ, state of preservation, venue of sale, other existing copies in similar or superior condition, timing, etc.

But in the long run, from a simple Action #1 vs. Tec #27 standpoint, we may eventually see Tec #27 as the top book in our hobby.

Higher grade T27 may = a higher price. But grades being equal, T27 will not surpass A1, ever, in my book. This was decided decades ago. (thumbs u

Perhaps my memory is becoming hazy, but right around the time of the 1st Batman (Tim Burton) movie, didn't Tec 27 overtake Action 1 as the most valuable comic? If so, then the statement that Tec 27 will not surpass Action 1, ever, is already false.

Hoping that this can be a rational friendly debate: I still disagree. Many people argue, The Simpsons because they've been on TV for so many consecutive years will be bigger than Mickey Mouse, even Bugs Bunny eventually because the generation growing up on them will take over and that will be their nostalgia. I don't think that can/will EVER happen. And while a lot of noted film historians do think Bugs is a better defined character over all(+1) than Mickey, i know Mickey will always be the yard stick because he was the first indisputable cartoon super star. Superman holds that distinction in the superhero realm.

In a class with Mickey and Coke he is Americana. As long as informed hobbyist are around, someone will always inform the new blood coming into the hobby(collectors and investors)it started with him. I think DC comics only relented with letting Superman slip so low and not promoting him like they used to for the last 15 years or so, were the court cases when it looked like they would lose or share the character with the creators heirs. I believe if that was not going on they would never had let such a valuable iconic property slip as their flagship character. And that short less new design to his appearance? Blaspheme.

I'll leave you with this my friend( and I mean that) , you say it's mainly because of a generation issue of people who didn't grow up with Superman as the dominate character. Do a little test for me. Look at all the people in the 19 to 30 year old bracket in superhero tee shirts. They can choose from a plethora of characters now marketed to wear because of the movie boom to show their superhero pride. I'll bet my collection, you will see more Superman 'S' shirts than Batman shirts probably 10 to one. They know, it's the universal superhero fan calling card. It stands for superhero universally(symbolically) , and wearing it makes us all feel a little "super". What do you know DC, people still wanna be like Superman!

I appreciate your enthusiasm and always welcome differing opinions. (thumbs u

You make some solid points as Superman is the quintessential superhero. The historical significance of Action #1 is a huge factor to me, but again, I love Superman and am a much bigger fan of his than most people in my age group.

In respects to t-shirts, I also suspect that Superman has Batman beat, for the reasons you stated. But in overall merchandise, including the sale of films via DVD, Blu Ray and digital download -- in terms of video games (the famed Arkham series) and beyond, I do not think that Superman is the bigger seller. Perhaps someone can find some hard evidence to either support or disprove that assumption.

I do not believe that DC has intentionally let Superman slip from the perch of being their flagship character. Batman has continued to trend upward while Superman has been up and down, but never reaching Batman's heights during the 21st century.

Being number one in 2014 means a bit more than being number one in 1978. Being on top during this generation means being the driving force behind cinematic blockbusters that eclipse $1,000,000,000. Whether it be a previous generation of collectors or simply knowing your history, younger generations will understand Action #1's place in history. That doesn't mean they'll be willing to pay more for a book featuring a character that many of them don't even like, especially doing so in favor of a book that features, arguably, the most beloved character of their generation.

I thought I would put an end to all the speculation about where this book will be auctioned off. From what I've heard, it came down to this auction house and ebay, with this place coming out on top. I believe the deciding factors were the guard dog and lots of electrical poles to paste the fliers on.

auctionhouse_zps9289ad53.jpg

Hoping that this can be a rational friendly debate: I still disagree. Many people argue, The Simpsons because they've been on TV for so many consecutive years will be bigger than Mickey Mouse, even Bugs Bunny eventually because the generation growing up on them will take over and that will be their nostalgia. I don't think that can/will EVER happen. And while a lot of noted film historians do think Bugs is a better defined character over all(+1) than Mickey, i know Mickey will always be the yard stick because he was the first indisputable cartoon super star. Superman holds that distinction in the superhero realm.

In a class with Mickey and Coke he is Americana. As long as informed hobbyist are around, someone will always inform the new blood coming into the hobby(collectors and investors)it started with him. I think DC comics only relented with letting Superman slip so low and not promoting him like they used to for the last 15 years or so, were the court cases when it looked like they would lose or share the character with the creators heirs. I believe if that was not going on they would never had let such a valuable iconic property slip as their flagship character. And that short less new design to his appearance? Blaspheme.

I'll leave you with this my friend( and I mean that) , you say it's mainly because of a generation issue of people who didn't grow up with Superman as the dominate character. Do a little test for me. Look at all the people in the 19 to 30 year old bracket in superhero tee shirts. They can choose from a plethora of characters now marketed to wear because of the movie boom to show their superhero pride. I'll bet my collection, you will see more Superman 'S' shirts than Batman shirts probably 10 to one. They know, it's the universal superhero fan calling card. It stands for superhero universally(symbolically) , and wearing it makes us all feel a little "super". What do you know DC, people still wanna be like Superman!

I appreciate your enthusiasm and always welcome differing opinions. (thumbs u

You make some solid points as Superman is the quintessential superhero. The historical significance of Action #1 is a huge factor to me, but again, I love Superman and am a much bigger fan of his than most people in my age group.

In respects to t-shirts, I also suspect that Superman has Batman beat, for the reasons you stated. But in overall merchandise, including the sale of films via DVD, Blu Ray and digital download -- in terms of video games (the famed Arkham series) and beyond, I do not think that Superman is the bigger seller. Perhaps someone can find some hard evidence to either support or disprove that assumption.

I do not believe that DC has intentionally let Superman slip from the perch of being their flagship character. Batman has continued to trend upward while Superman has been up and down, but never reaching Batman's heights during the 21st century.

Being number one in 2014 means a bit more than being number one in 1978. Being on top during this generation means being the driving force behind cinematic blockbusters that eclipse $1,000,000,000. Whether it be a previous generation of collectors or simply knowing your history, younger generations will understand Action #1's place in history. That doesn't mean they'll be willing to pay more for a book featuring a character that many of them don't even like, especially doing so in favor of a book that features, arguably, the most beloved character of their generation.

Thanks for the response, and for the thoughtful analysist of my points(t shirts) :banana: as I also concede, that in video games, DVD, blu ray, downloads, yes Batman is king. This is one of the fundamental joys of comic book collecting: whose hero is " better" than whose, lol . I feel like I'm 9 years old again. Thanks for the thoughtful discussion, and if/ when that Tec hits the market place, the question will be answered.

Thanks for the response, and for the thoughtful analysist of my points(t shirts) :banana: as I also concede, that in video games, DVD, blu ray, downloads, yes Batman is king. This is one of the fundamental joys of comic book collecting: whose hero is " better" than whose, lol . I feel like I'm 9 years old again. Thanks for the thoughtful discussion, and if/ when that Tec hits the market place, the question will be answered.

As I've often said, one thing that we all have in common here is that we're passionate enough about these books to sign in and discuss. In the poll thread addressing this topic, the results (so far) seem to echo what I've expressed.

Under age 30:

*2 votes for Action #1

*6 votes for Tec #27

Age 30-39:

*3 votes for Action #1

*12 votes for Tec #27

Age 40-49:

*13 votes for Action #1

*12 votes for Tec #27

Age 50-59:

*7 votes for Action #1

*5 votes for Tec #27

Age 60+:

*2 votes for Action #1

*1 vote for Tec #27

It's a very small sample size of course. It can also be broken down into 39 and younger vs. 40 and older.

39 and younger:

*5 votes for Action #1

*18 votes for Tec #27

40 and older:

*22 votes for Action #1

*18 votes for Tec #27

Who was it that had this copy on display at Chicago?

I sold it to carbonaro so it was he who had it on display. And at sdcc too...and heroes con.

Which book are we talking about?

the restored 9.4 that was a restored 9.2

It was at Carbonaro's booth. Here is my iPhone pic.

Detective27CGC94.jpg

And a fairly lousy but still mostly legible blow-up of the label. Rick, did you ever see the Kane auto on the first page?

Detective27CGC94label.jpg