• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Back from CGC today!!!!! Take a guess and see PGM Detective 35

66 posts in this topic

Found this gem recently and having no idea about restoration and such I thought I would try this part of the forum first...

Detective #35

The front cover is cleanly detached, the back cover is still intact with the staples. That missing part of the bottom right corner is actually flipped into the front cover I did not flip it back as I did not want to damage it or lose that piece. There are 2 rips on the cover approximate half an inch long on the right side on Batman's shoulder/cowl and on the left side under the cracked wall. Everything else you should be able to see.

What would be the grade in current condition and what are your estimates about the grade if it was restored.

Thank you so much!!!!!

14997831430_8742d67af3_h.jpg2014-09-06 09.56.42 by phantalien, on Flickr

14997907138_6527a35968_h.jpg2014-09-06 09.57.08 by phantalien, on Flickr

Normally doodling isn't considered restorative, but there appears to be some coloring in of Batman's mask. I'd recommend sending it in for a pre-screen, but if I had to guess from the scan Id say 3.0 plod. Great find though! Still a valuable book!!

With a fully detached cover I think 3.0 is a big ask.

Based on comparable books with detached covers I would say this will grade out around 1.8. But what a beautifully presenting 1.8 it is.

I would hate to hazzard a guess on restored grade as it depends on so many factors even Matt et all, say they cannot give you a good restored grade estimate from pictures alone.

If it were mine I would put it in a mylar and enjoy it as is.

I'll guess 2.0, maybe 2.5 even with the detachment. Great eye appeal and very desirable in its unrestored state... I'd be very hesitant to restore it as it looks so sharp as is. Great score!

I'll guess 2.0, maybe 2.5 even with the detachment. Great eye appeal and very desirable in its unrestored state... I'd be very hesitant to restore it as it looks so sharp as is. Great score!

+1

Normally doodling isn't considered restorative, but there appears to be some coloring in of Batman's mask. I'd recommend sending it in for a pre-screen, but if I had to guess from the scan Id say 3.0 plod. Great find though! Still a valuable book!!

If you mean that part over his eye I think that is due to the printing press. This copy still has some great gloss on the darker colors of the cover. From what I see with the gloss and the rest of the mask I do not detect any doodling.

Thanks for everyone who gave me feedback. I am not going to restore it but I am going to look into getting it graded.

He did say only the front cover was detached and the back was still on the staples. Tough to grade in this case but the book does present well and has good color. I think a 2.5 at least on this one.

A nicely presenting 2.0. My main concern would be with page quality - the pictures make them look tan to brown, and I'd be concerned that they might be brittle.

+1. I'm guessing the pages are tanned or perhaps even slightly brittle as they look pretty dark. As far as grade goes, I'm thinking a 1.8 because of the split and detached cover. Great book

A nicely presenting 2.0. My main concern would be with page quality - the pictures make them look tan to brown, and I'd be concerned that they might be brittle.

I agree. It's an amazing looking copy that would be great in mylar. Enjoy it!

+1 on the worry that the pages are brittle.

+1 on the don't restore it.

Not sure what "The front cover is cleanly detached, the back cover is still intact with the staples." means.

If cover totally detached and pages are brittle I'm at 1.8.

If the cover is totally detached and the pages are just heavily browned I'm at 2.0.

If the cover is not totally detached and the pages are brittle I'm at 2.5 (though with brittle pages price would be considerably lower).

If cover is not totally detached and pages are not brittle I'm at 3.5.

Not sure what "The front cover is cleanly detached, the back cover is still intact with the staples." means.

That's a good catch. Now I'm not sure what it means either. ???

On a quick read (and that lovely FC was quite the distraction...), I assumed he meant that the cover wrap was cleanly detached from the book, as is common. But if he means the front cover is completely loose/split away at the spine and the BC is still stapled to the interior, that's a different story entirely.