• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

T.J. Powell (Lebowski) Fundraiser

461 posts in this topic

This is what we have so far.

$9608 in Paypal

$744 in Paypal Pending payments

and about $3400 that is not yet paid, but has been promised.

So the expected total is $1441.00.

Plus whatever odds and ends (nice odds and ends) we finish up with.

That is just amazing. (worship)

Any further reports on this story? I would imagine the funeral is over by now and I was searching to see if anyone who was close to the family had any closing words about it.

Pretty special group of folks we have here (worship)

This is what we have so far.

$9608 in Paypal

$744 in Paypal Pending payments

and about $3400 that is not yet paid, but has been promised.

So the expected total is $1441.00.

Plus whatever odds and ends (nice odds and ends) we finish up with.

That is just amazing. (worship)

I just realized why this looks odd, lol...Royce, you fixed my post and took out a digit, the figure is $14,471 now.

I didn't know TJ personally only through one PM and his posts, so perhaps Chris, Steve or Nick can respond.

Thanks again

Make that $14476 :applause:

Great job Sharon. (worship)

Between Chris, Steve and Sharon, they really kept this moving forward to assist TJ's family. We are lucky to have folks around like that who go above and beyond during anyone's time of need.

(worship)(worship)(worship)

You all are amazing people and I am proud to be a part of this boards. The kindness is amazing. I remember when I was able to be on these boards every day, but now with a full time job and two young girls I find myself here only a few days a week, not posting much, just catching up on post. I am sad that I will not see TJ's post anymore because they sure made me laugh. RIP my friend.

A HUGE THANKS GOES OUT THE SHARON AND NICK! You all are heroes, some of the most amazing people. I am lucky to call you both friends.

I would like to let everyone know the money has gone to the family and the response was breath taking.

Here is the response I got via email:

I'm sorry I haven't written sooner. Putting pen to paper makes it more real & it's still so hard to imagine this world without TJ in it. Each and every one of you will never know how much your kind words and donations mean. I can't even describe how... - but the shear fact that each of you knew him, even just through the boards, & that each of you were touched by him in some way is just amazing. That means more to me than anything. TJ Powell could be friends with anyone. He just had that personality, that charisma, where he could just own the room. Out of that came the many, many friends that I know I could never have & not many people can say either. I miss him every single day. He was such a brilliant man and a beautiful writer; I know he's up there shaking his head. He would have written this so much better, adding quotes here and there, maybe even part of a song, or an excerpt from a book. I just wanted to say thank you again, even though "thank you" doesn't seem as all-encompassing as I'd like to express- I simply can't put into words the deep gratitude we have for all of you, but thank you!~

-TJ Powell's family

That made me cry and smile at the same time.

I will miss TJ. Our years of chats on here, along with Beau and Steve, will be friendships I always reflect back on with the greatest appreciation. Whether it was comic books, news or life in general, we always knew each of us would be there for the other. And that included kidding each other mercilessly about whatever the focus of the moment was to laugh through any challenges going on at the time. Even that was a welcome relief. Though Beau always regretted sharing his teenage photos with TJ. I've never seen so many edits of the same pictures into the craziest of poses and situations. TJ was deadly with those Photoshop skills - but always with the intent to make you smile.

I miss them both. R.I.P. my friends.

There have been inquiries about how TJ died. His death was due to depression, something that he obviously was unable to cope with.

It was not a secret, just something his family and friends felt very sensitive about.

However, depression is something that can hit any of us, or our families/loved ones at any time. It's a very real and important issue that strikes many many people

Too many of us have lost loved ones who suffered this way.

If you are depressed or even just very sad, please understand that you are not alone. It's nothing to hide or to be ashamed of. Please seek help. If you are not comfortable going to a doctor or a family member there are many of us here who would be happy to listen and perhaps even help you find the right professional who can guide you.

I don't know how I missed this thread. I'm very sorry for TJ and his family.

+1 to Sharon's post above.

When I arrived here, I saw a great place to nerd out on comics and pick up some nice books. I didn't know what magnanimity the board was capable of, so I'm even happier to have found this place.

+1

Quite a neat and considerate lot of people here.

Pretty amazing and special that we can come together for fellow funny book collector, and or their loved ones, with sincere sympathy in times of need.