• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lucifer ordered for a Fox pilot
1 1

504 posts in this topic

(with the exception of course being the #8 editorial variant which only has about 30 known surviving copies,

Interesting.

Where did you get this information?

Just took a quick look at the census.

-J.

There are 34 copies on the census.

What makes you think the census represents all surviving copies?

...."known" copies. There were what only 600 originally made and handed out in just two locations in California ? That particular issue has been sought after for some time. It's a safe bet the majority of them are known to the market at this point. (thumbs u

-J.

You make a lot of assumptions about stuff you don't know about. I have 2 copies of the book in my collection, not slabbed. And I have sold at least 2 others that I know are not slabbed.

It's highly likely that most of the books are still out there in collections. I would guess there are at least 500 copies still in collections. Really almost no reason for any book from that time period not to have survived to this point. Sandman sold well from the time it came out and was a well loved titles at the time.

You make a lot of assumptions about what I do and do not know. Why don't you try staying on point for once and saving the condescending attempts at personal attacks to yourself. It makes you look unprofessional. (thumbs u

-J.

No it doesn't. He was on point the whole time, apart from his one "opinion".

He gave you reasons, based on his experience as a dealer. Which you dismissed just like in the other thread.

He told you that he owns 2 himself. 2% of your theorized existing copies. What are we up to now? Over 50% of all the existing copies tracked down in just about 24 hours.

Keep going.

A dealer telling me he has sold two raw copies in all his years in the business is supposed to prove that the book is plentiful and falling out of the trees ? I don't get the point. He's a dealer I expect for him to have handled a lot of rare books (even rarer and far older than this one) at some point. And how do you know the raw copies he sold aren't one of the 30 slabs now? You don't. And neither do I. And yet you assume for some reason that you are right and I am wrong. Lots of haughty people around here. lol

-J.

I told you in the post they weren't slabbed. I know where they are. And I have a pretty good idea where 2 other copies are. And the 2 copies in my collection. That's 6 raws. Michael Schmidt says he has 5 or 6 copies.

I own 2 boxes of slabs in my collection. I own about 75 boxes of raws in my collection. Most people I know own way more raws than slabs. In fact the people who collect slabs only are a tiny percentage of collectors.

J,

I'm curious as to how you shop / buy comics. Do you primarily shop online, or are you looking in stores or at conventions? A little of all three?

Are you basing your speculation primarily on GPA/"reported" sales?

On a side note, who wants to sell me a run of Lucifer 1-75 for cheap? :P

Hi high voltage,

To answer your question, I primarily shop online, secondarily at conventions. Some of the rarest and most expensive books I've acquired however have been directly from dealers that I originally met on these boards who took a request and tracked a copy down for me. (thumbs u

And yes a am basing my extrapolations on GPA, CGC census, as well as the amount of raw/slabbed copies brought to market on average over the past few years.

-J.

What is "obvious" about the idea that most copies of a popular comic book from 1989 (that has never been worthless) have been destroyed?

I didn't say they were "destroyed". However as many have pointed out the comic was popular in its day, then not so much as a back issue, and then was re discovered again later. A lot can happen in that time to a book. I personally mis-placed, lost, or had stolen nearly half my OO Sandman collection. Where did they go? I thought I had them in that one short box but they're not there anymore ? What happened ?

I can't explain why there are scarce numbers of the book or on the census or out there on the open market. I can only speculate. And I simply choose to follow the publicly available data points to the logical conclusion that their survival rate is minimal. For whatever reason. I'm not sure why that riles people up. I have acknowledged other peoples' points as being valid feasible and possible. Taken together I do believe it explains "some" of the book's scarcity. Why no one else seems to want to acknowledge the possibility (probability) that the book is under represented simply because their survival rate is just plain less than what they wish to believe is truly a mystery to me. (shrug)

-J.

Can you hook me up with your dealer? That must be some gooood crack.

A dealer telling me he has sold two raw copies in all his years in the business is supposed to prove that the book is plentiful and falling out of the trees ? I don't get the point. He's a dealer I expect for him to have handled a lot of rare books (even rarer and far older than this one) at some point. And how do you know the raw copies he sold aren't one of the 30 slabs now? You don't. And neither do I. And yet you assume for some reason that you are right and I am wrong. Lots of haughty people around here. lol

-J.

I can tell you that this is one of the reasons why people get riled up. No one likes their positions to be so wildly mischaracterized. No one has doubted that there were only about 600 made, and some of those will certainly have been victims of attrition somehow. Your initial claim was that there are only about 30 known copies, which set this all off. You've come up to maybe 100, but have reduced everyone else's arguments to the absurd. Plentiful and falling out of trees? How is that helpful? Then, end your statement with a lol.

The books were handed out at a signing. How many people didn't want a GLOD slab with "Name written on front in pen" and are happy with their CoA?

How many people like to look at their full run of the series and don't want to break it up by having one or two slabbed for no reason other than to have an "official" grade?

How many people put away their comic collections after the series ended in 1996 and have no idea there's a company you can pay to put your books in a plastic case?

I don't know the answers to this, but I assume there are at least a few in these categories, and more besides. You think it's more obvious to assume that these copies no longer exist somehow. You indicated that you've lost most of your OO Sandman collection. Do you think it's more likely they no longer exist, or that they were sold/traded/stolen years ago and you don't remember? If so, they still exist somewhere in some store or collection.

You cite both the Census and GPA for numbers, but those aren't really two separate sources; nothing will be on GPA that isn't already on the Census. Your sample size may be smaller than you think.

(with the exception of course being the #8 editorial variant which only has about 30 known surviving copies,

Interesting.

-J.

...."known" copies. There were what only 600 originally made and handed out in just two locations in California ? That particular issue has been sought after for some time. It's a safe bet the majority of them are known to the market at this point. (thumbs u

-J.

You make a lot of assumptions about stuff you don't know about. I have 2 copies of the book in my collection, not slabbed. And I have sold at least 2 others that I know are not slabbed.

It's highly likely that most of the books are still out there in collections. I would guess there are at least 500 copies still in collections. Really almost no reason for any book from that time period not to have survived to this point. Sandman sold well from the time it came out and was a well loved titles at the time.

You make a lot of assumptions about what I do and do not know. Why don't you try staying on point for once and saving the condescending attempts at personal attacks to yourself. It makes you look unprofessional. (thumbs u

-J.

He gave you reasons, based on his experience as a dealer. Which you dismissed just like in the other thread.

He told you that he owns 2 himself. 2% of your theorized existing copies. What are we up to now? Over 50% of all the existing copies tracked down in just about 24 hours.

Keep going.

-J.

He said he owns two himself, and has sold two. I never said (or implied) that the 2 "sold" copies are not represented by the census. That's a leap you made.

Let's a have another math lesson since "data' and "stats" are your forte:

34 on census

5 (Schmidt)

2 (Seen in Bmore)

2 (Dale)

1 (RMA - not his, presumably lined up for sig series)

1 (sakardis)

1 (sonic youth)

46%

And, let's assume that between Berger, Gaiman, & Tori Amos there's at least 1 there.

47%

Dale says he knows where probably 4 are (unslabbed). But let's go with 2 since Dale doesn't really know much about comics.

49%

Like I said before, there's almost 50% of your existing copies. Tracked down in 24 hours. On one message board.

You're wrong. Just straight up wrong.

Interesting.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Keep going.

-J.

I told you in the post they weren't slabbed. I know where they are. And I have a pretty good idea where 2 other copies are. And the 2 copies in my collection. That's 6 raws. Michael Schmidt says he has 5 or 6 copies.

I own 2 boxes of slabs in my collection. I own about 75 boxes of raws in my collection. Most people I know own way more raws than slabs. In fact the people who collect slabs only are a tiny percentage of collectors.

Okay Dale I take you at your word what you say.

It still doesn't change the dynamic of the discussion. Like I said, would it have made people feel better if I said 200 instead of 100? There are some "clubs" on these boards where boardies do in fact own a large, confirmed percentage of the slabs of the book on the census. It wouldn't surprise me that there are a lot of hard core, die hard collectors and sandman enthusiasts posting on here who have a copy or two.

That still doesn't change the fact that, as compared to numerous other signature and low print run books from a similar era, the 8B is grossly, grossly under represented. As far as copies that come to market the book is grossly, grossly under represented. All any of us are doing is speculating why. I have my method (that is consistent with what I do for a living) and other people have theirs. I, however am attempting to base mine on verifiable data, not just piecemeal information or how many people I can count on one hand that may or may not still own a raw copy somewhere in their basement.

-J.

Interesting.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Keep going.

-J.

Okay Dale I take you at your word what you say.

It still doesn't change the dynamic of the discussion. Like I said, would it have made people feel better if I said 200 instead of 100? There are some "clubs" on these boards where boardies do in fact own a large, confirmed percentage of the slabs of the book on the census. It wouldn't surprise me that there are a lot of hard core, die hard collectors and sandman enthusiasts posting on here who have a copy or two.

That still doesn't change the fact that, as compared to numerous other signature and low print run books from a similar era, the 8B is grossly, grossly under represented. As far as copies that come to market the book is grossly, grossly under represented. All any of us are doing is speculating why. I have my method (that are consistent with what I do for a living) and other people have theirs. I, however am attempting to base mine on verifiable data, not just piecemeal information or how many people I can count on one hand that may or may not still own a raw copy somewhere in their basement.

-J.

I can assure you there are more in basements than in slabs.

Carry on. I'm out guys.

Surely this should be on a Sandman 8 Appreciation thread?

From what I've read of all of this, J is taking the bottom up approach on remaining copies and everyone is taking a top down approach.

I'm enjoying the 'debate' tho!

Surely this should be on a Sandman 8 Appreciation thread?

From what I've read of all of this, J is taking the bottom up approach on remaining copies and everyone is taking a top down approach.

I'm enjoying the 'debate' tho!

Quite the keen observation, mate. (thumbs u

I'm just trying to figure out what Star Chamber decided that one is more valid than the other at this point. lol

-J.

Interesting.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Keep going.

-J.

He said he owns two himself, and has sold two. I never said (or implied) that the 2 "sold" copies are not represented by the census. That's a leap you made.

Let's a have another math lesson since "data' and "stats" are your forte:

34 on census

5 (Schmidt)

2 (Seen in Bmore)

2 (Dale)

1 (RMA - not his, presumably lined up for sig series)

1 (sakardis)

1 (sonic youth)

46%

And, let's assume that between Berger, Gaiman, & Tori Amos there's at least 1 there.

47%

Dale says he knows where probably 4 are (unslabbed). But let's go with 2 since Dale doesn't really know much about comics.

49%

Like I said before, there's almost 50% of your existing copies. Tracked down in 24 hours. On one message board.

You're wrong. Just straight up wrong.

Just caught this thread. I own two copies. Both raw, one low grade and one high.

51%

With regards to the sandman 8 book in question, it's nice to see some people at least allowing for the possibility that there "may" be as few as 100 surviving copies. There were indeed 600 copies "printed" but they were not all distributed. And it was a very long time before they were given any kind of significant value over the regular issue. You can see the progression on the GPA chart. I have never once said "there are only 100 copies". I have only said that I believe this to be a reasonable statement based on X, Y, and Z facts. I have no doubt there are raw copies lingering around here and there in collections. But again, I certainly would not say there are hundreds upon hundreds. The book is just too valuable, and too many people know the book is too valuable for there not to be more copies on the census and available at any given time for sale on the open market for this to be true IMO. "IMO" being the operative part of that sentence. (thumbs u

-J.

Did you not see the photos of Wizard that I posted, or not care because it wasn't GPA? The cover date for Sandman 8 is Aug 89. By Apr 92 it was a $100 comic in Wizard. That's only about 2.5 years. It's a much faster progression of values than Amazing Spider-man 300, New Mutants 98, or Walking Dead 1 demonstrated. I don't have the 90 or 91 OPG to check, and that was the oldest Wizard I had.

Multiple owners of the book have come forward to say they have it raw and see no reason to pay someone $20 to put it in a plastic case for them. The book was originally marketed toward adult collectors. The "mature readers" label, art style, and themes pretty much kept it out of the dirty hands of children who were wrestling each other for the one-panel Cable preview in New Mutants 86.

I think this comic suffers for having a variant that is not immediately visible from the outside, and not even immediately identifiable to the uninitiated (as opposed to a Mark Jewelers insert or pages-out-of-order error, both of which are pretty obvious). There are probably several copies in peoples' collections that have not been identified. ("I know there's a valuable variant, but which is it? The one with the article by that female executive? Oh. Karen Berger or Jeanette Kahn? Hmm. Oh well, I probably don't have the variant, I just got it at my local comic shop in California.")

The Sandman series ended in 1996, and back issue demand began cooling fairly quickly thereafter. The entire series has been in continuous reprints, with at least two different waves of hardcovers, an Absolute set, and an Annotated set. There is no reason whatsoever to buy back issues if you only want to read the stories. But since CGC didn't begin until 2000, the peak of Sandman interest had already passed. Thus, GPA only shows the recent resurgence in price, not the whole picture.

I see this is still going strong.

:cloud9:

It was a desired book lonnnnnnng before Wizard. It showed up in the Updates in 1990, less than a year after it was made.

It has been a desired book since the beginning.

*I have never owned one*

You make many claims which you never substantiate, despite your continued claim that you substantiate everything, so I'll go at these one at a time, to try and get you to focus on backing up specific claims...

That still doesn't change the fact that, as compared to numerous other signature and low print run books from a similar era, the 8B is grossly, grossly under represented.

Such as?

As far as copies that come to market the book is grossly, grossly under represented. -J.

Compared to what?

Are you aware of the Vengeance of Vampirella #1 Royal Blues?

They were an afterthought, printed by Harris at the same time as the regular second printings. Thus began the Vampirella Royal Blue program.

They were "limited to 100" (though, of course, that number is probably a little higher.)

They were printed in 1994.

As of this date, only 4 are on the census. I have owned two copies. Approximately 6 other copies have been sold on eBay in the last 15 years.

One copy has been sold on Heritage, in a group lot.

It is THE key modern Vampirella book. It is easily the most desired, most valuable, and most sought after book from Harris, outside, perhaps, of #113 of the original run.

To Vampirella fans....granted, there are few, but they are hardcore...it is the book to own.

They are, obviously, much rarer than Sandman #8.

But is there any reason to assume that all the copies printed no longer exist? After all, it was printed only 5 years after Sandman #8, a full 20 years ago...

All any of us are doing is speculating why. I have my method (that is consistent with what I do for a living) and other people have theirs. I, however am attempting to base mine on verifiable data, not just piecemeal information or how many people I can count on one hand that may or may not still own a raw copy somewhere in their basement.

-J.

According to "verifiable data", mankind has no idea what is inside the sun, or any star. Not only has no one ever been inside one, no one can ever be, given the current state of the physical universe. Nothing and no one can survive the interior temperatures of the sun. Every element known to man is instantly reduced to its atomic foundation, and scattered.

But wait...how do I know that?

Without verifiable data proving this, it's all just speculation...right?

We know this, because we can observe the physical universe, and how it works, and we can draw reasonable conclusions as to the content and makeup of the interior of the sun. We don't observe nuclear fusion, which is the engine that drives the sun, directly (mainly because it occurs on the atomic level, which we cannot see, and it occurs far faster than the human eye could ever follow)...rather, we observe the results of that reaction, and we draw reasonable conclusions based on those observations.

It is not reasonable to conclude that the interior of the sun is composed of chocolate milk. We can never know what actually composes the interior of the sun by direct, experiential, verifiable data. But we can reasonably conclude that it is not made of chocolate milk.

Likewise...we understand, by the mechanics of how the census itself works, for all the reasons already stated, that it does not represent an accurate, or even approximate, picture of what really exists.

We can also understand, by experience, that beginning around 1965 and continuing to the present day, with some brief interludes, that the majority of comic books produced...unlike their predecessors...were saved, rather than destroyed, for various reasons (lack of paper drives, institution of the Comics Code, pop culture attachment, speculation {the financial kind} based on the value of predecessors, etc.), and that, by 1989, this was nearly universal.

We can also understand, given the nature of the book itself, that it was distributed to fans from the outset, that it has never been valueless or undesired, that fans of Sandman are much more likely to hold on to their collections than the average collector, that this book is far, far, far less likely to have been casually destroyed over the years.

Using all of these things, it is reasonable (indeed, preferable) to conclude that the vast majority of the copies printed still exist

That you wish, in opposition to reason, to decide that this is BASELESS speculation (speculation it is...no one disagrees, or HAS disagreed with you on this) is not reasonable, and never has been. That you conclude that only a "mere 100 or so" copies have survived, and you cite the lack of sales data and census data to "prove" this is what is baseless. It is without foundation, and the fact that you keep referring to the reasonable as "mere speculation", just as valid, if not less so, than yours, is not, itself, reasonable.

The census does not represent an accurate picture of what exists, for anything; yet you use it as the foundation for your argument.

Sales data does not represent an accurate picture of what exists; yet you use that as the foundation for your argument.

YOU are the one is saying "well, I can't see it, so it must not exist!"...not the other way around, as you claim of literally everyone else.

All speculation is not created equally. You must provide a rational basis for your conclusions. This, you have failed to do, while trying to present everyone who has tried to reason with you as "making assumptions", and "making it personal", "your post count doesn't give weight to your argument", mischaracterizations and hyperbole, etc.

It is nothing personal. You are simply wrong, and will not (cannot...?) accept it.