• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

I think Leto's Joker looks stupid. I haven't seen the acting yet, but if I was to base this totally on looks.

It looks stupid. Very very stupid. Very modern, and stupid.

Ledger's Joker looked very believable and real. He was scary because he LOOKED crazy.

Leto looks like a spoiled try-hard wanna be tough guy who would've been gunned down in five minutes.

oKlBo4W.gif

The comic book looks way better than the film in that.

Some do, most don't. Deadshot looks wayyyy better in the film, as does Enchantress. Katana and El Diablo look as good on film as they do in the comics. Rick Flagg, Captain Boomerang, and Slipknot don't really look good in either medium, though they look sillier in the comics. Harley and Croc looks better in the comics, though Harley looked okay in the film.

I think Leto's Joker looks stupid. I haven't seen the acting yet, but if I was to base this totally on looks.

Ledger's Joker looked very believable and real. He was scary because he LOOKED crazy.

Leto looks like a spoiled try-hard wanna be tough guy who would've been gunned down in five minutes.

and if he ever sent me the stuff he sent his cast mates, i wouldn't have beaten him for it. that's not being in character, that's just being a disgusting human being.

28384230854_a4ee1b1aa8_o.jpg

One has an Oscar the other doesn't.

So what? That has nothing to do with this comparison.

One was hyped, and failed. The other wasn't hyped, and succeeded.

Ummm.....this might be silly to ask, but what movie is the dude on the bottom from? I don't recall ever seeing it.

It's not from a movie, it's a pic of Punisher in Daredevil Season 2.

Okay. I have not watched the Daredevil TV show.

The one that has an oscar has been accused of raping how many women?

Oh thats right... seven. SEVEN Women online have accused Leto of rape.

Accusations online? Well they MUST be true then.

Doesn't necessarily mean they aren't true.

28384230854_a4ee1b1aa8_o.jpg

One has an Oscar the other doesn't.

So what? That has nothing to do with this comparison.

One was hyped, and failed. The other wasn't hyped, and succeeded.

Ummm.....this might be silly to ask, but what movie is the dude on the bottom from? I don't recall ever seeing it.

It's not from a movie, it's a pic of Punisher in Daredevil Season 2.

Okay. I have not watched the Daredevil TV show.

The one that has an oscar has been accused of raping how many women?

Oh thats right... seven. SEVEN Women online have accused Leto of rape.

Accusations online? Well they MUST be true then.

Doesn't necessarily mean they aren't true.

So better to post it as fact anyway?

Yeah - that Leto rape stuff seems off-topic to me.

As does the comparison of Leto's Joker to Bernthal's Punisher to begin with - two totally different formats, vastly different characters and (most importantly) hugely different screen time.

Give Leto's Joker as many scenes as the Punisher received across an entire season of Daredevil and you can _begin_ to evaluate the relative merits.

I like both actors, although Bernthal is only beginning to enjoy the limelight and stretch his acting muscles.

Whereas Leto has consciously shaped his career by selectively choosing brave indy roles a la Daniel Day Lewis or a pre-Pirates Johnny Depp.

Prefontaine

Fight Club

Girl, Interrupted

American Psycho

Requiem for a Dream

Chapter 27

Dallas Buyers Club

These aren't safe, let alone mainstream, choices for an actor who was a teen idol who could easily have gone the River Phoenix / Leonardo DiCaprio blockbuster route of skating by on his looks.

Final weekend numbers are in. Turns out the worldwide total was higher than the estimate by $640,741.

Based on this weekend's estimates. And it still have four markets remaining, even without China.

Xkjscfd.png

Remaining box office releases:

Germany: 18 August 2016

Austria: 19 August 2016

Greece: 25 August 2016

Japan: 10 September 2016

XbAKR3g.png

SS and BvS both had ad campaign costs as high as their filming budgets almost. Break even on SS was debated at between 350-450M, and BvS was like 500-600M

Neither lost money, but neither will have made much, DVD/Blu Ray sales will push both into profit margins comfortably long term, but Studios dont want to spend 5-600M to make a 33% return.

Lot easier to take flyers on new IP that might make you that 200M on a <$50M budget.

For Tentpole Blockbusters like BvS, they need to be making over 1B to ensure long term success, repeated production. The solo shots like SS, need to be making $750-$1B these days off a budget that big.

Both movies fell short of their targets, but neither lost money.

Edited by CBT

I agree completely. I really find the look takes me out of the scenes he is in. I think it was a bad choice to do the gold teeth, the heavy eye makeup ( particular the black ) and the tattoos.

Not sure why the author is posting a review at this late a date but it made me chuckle:

http://www.encorepub.com/big-budget-con-job-suicide-squad-is-beyond-flawed-and-below-average/

"In the hands of an editor not working through a nine-day coke binge “Suicide Squad” maybe could have been better than average. As is, it’s one hell of a big-budget con job."

Final weekend numbers are in. Turns out the worldwide total was higher than the estimate by $640,741.

Based on this weekend's estimates. And it still have four markets remaining, even without China.

Xkjscfd.png

XbAKR3g.png

SS and BvS both had ad campaign costs as high as their filming budgets almost. Break even on SS was debated at between 350-450M, and BvS was like 500-600M

Neither lost money, but neither will have made much, DVD/Blu Ray sales will push both into profit margins comfortably long term, but Studios dont want to spend 5-600M to make a 33% return.

Lot easier to take flyers on new IP that might make you that 200M on a <$50M budget.

For Tentpole Blockbusters like BvS, they need to be making over 1B to ensure long term success, repeated production. The solo shots like SS, need to be making $750-$1B these days off a budget that big.

Great discussion points. Though the assumptions about what is the target for big versus small movies would mean even Marvel Studios individual character films fell short. I'd be careful listening to these 'industry experts' that say even the small films have to do massive numbers like $700 MM (+). Here was an article from Forbes.com I posted a few days ago on Suicide Squad, and what its potential financial reality should be in order to declare a success.

Another Forbes.com article on the current SS box office and results needed to break even.

FORBES.COM: 'Suicide Squad' Dominates Despite Media's Gloom And Doom

If second weekend domestic predictions pan out, Suicide Squad will pass $465 million worldwide by close of business Sunday. Should the Wednesday and Thursday foreign totals wind up on the higher end of estimates, and should it hold better overseas due to its opening in additional markets, then the film could hypothetically end its sophomore weekend with something closer to $470-475 million in global receipts. Low-end, it will top $450 million, high-end should include a plausible shot at the $480 million range if all the stars align in its favor.

The long-term prospects point to Suicide Squad passing $600 million with no trouble. Average holds would push it to anywhere between $620-650 million worldwide. Better than average declines and a few more record-setting days could get it to $700 million. I’m betting the final tally falls somewhere between $650 million and $700 million, but I’ll revise that estimate after I see this weekend’s actuals and how it holds during the weekdays immediately afterward. If it surpasses predictions and takes $60 million domestic plus north of that number abroad, and if next week’s daily figures show a decline of less than 50% from the previous week, then it will look headed toward the higher end of estimates for sure.

How does this stack up against the film’s costs? Well, first off all I can tell you that these $800 million “break-even point” claims floating around are false. The film needs to do about $600 million in global ticket sales to cover the shooting budget (including reshoots) plus marketing costs, since the studio will only get about half of the box office receipts to cover the combined costs that total roughly $300 million. Claims in the press of marketing exceeding $150-200 million are gross exaggerations, as are rumors of costly reshoots that pushed the filming budget closer toward the $200 million range.

Xkjscfd.png

XbAKR3g.png

Seems to be a premature declaration on a movie that has been out a total of 11 days. (shrug)

Xkjscfd.png

XbAKR3g.png

Seems to be a premature declaration on a movie that has been out a total of 11 days. (shrug)

11 days is a ton of data, especially when for most movies 2/3 of the box office occurs in the first two weekends of release. Of course there are exceptions, but someone should have a pretty firm grasp on ending box office totals, though those are of course estimates.

Xkjscfd.png

XbAKR3g.png

A Tentpole superhero movie has more revenue streams outside of just the money it makes from the movie, something new IP does not necessarily have. These movies have product placement, product tie-ins, and merchandise revenue too. And for some movies, these other revenue streams can be huge. Take the Star Wars movies for instance. Speculation is The Force Awakens already broken even before it was even released to theaters. If you remember, there was an obscene amount of product tie-ins and merchandise for that movie. You couldn't walk down an isle of a Walmart, Target, or even grocery store without seeing the Star Wars brand on some item.

For the Man of Steel and BvS, the product placement offset the cost of marketing. And they had product tie-ins and merchandise as well.

This is why these superhero movies are so coveted. Marvel and Warner Bros are making money on more than just the movies themselves.

Edited by rjrjr

I agree completely. I really find the look takes me out of the scenes he is in. I think it was a bad choice to do the gold teeth, the heavy eye makeup ( particular the black ) and the tattoos.

I remember reading somewhere in the 90's that people were describing Joker's abilities as "super sanity" That he was so sane, he saw the world so completely, that he was insane. To me Ledger hit on that note. He came across as a genius and capable of complete insanity, which is what the character is based on, IMO. And this is coming from someone who isn't even a Batman fan, but I GOT it.

Leto is, at best, a third tier tough guy who would be working for Penguin or Joker, not running anything.

A good sign that a movie made money is a sequel. If they go forward with a sequel with a similar budget, then it made money. If they go forward with a sequel with a lower budget, then it was probably a wash but they saw potential for profits. If they don't sequelize it, it didn't make them the amount of money they wanted, because anything that is remotely profitable will be sequelized one way or another.

We'll ultimately see if Suicide Squad gets a sequel-- but I wouldn't be surprised. They'll never publicly report profit, but if they do a Harley movie or a Deadshot movie or a Squad sequel, that tells you what you need to know. If all of the plugs are pulled on any of those ideas, then... yeah.

A good sign that a movie made money is a sequel. If they go forward with a sequel with a similar budget, then it made money. If they go forward with a sequel with a lower budget, then it was probably a wash but they saw potential for profits. If they don't sequelize it, it didn't make them the amount of money they wanted, because anything that is remotely profitable will be sequelized one way or another.

We'll ultimately see if Suicide Squad gets a sequel-- but I wouldn't be surprised. They'll never publicly report profit, but if they do a Harley movie or a Deadshot movie or a Squad sequel, that tells you what you need to know. If all of the plugs are pulled on any of those ideas, then... yeah.

I think that is probably the simplest and most accurate barometer since WB is looking to develop a large franchise.

:popcorn:

Well, time for that new Joker so many have been speaking of.

Jared Leto Has Some Choice Words For Warner Bros. After SUICIDE SQUAD: "F*@# 'Em!"

Jared Leto has made it clear that he was upset to find out that so many of his scenes as The Joker were cut from Suicide Squad, and during a Q&A with fans this weekend at "Camp Mars" (a meet up of sorts for fans of his band Thirty Seconds to Mars), the Oscar winner made his dissatisfaction clear.

"He was very honest about the film this weekend; his disappointment in what he’s learned of the theatrical cut (he’s still not seen the film); feeling sort of tricked into being a part of something that had been pitched to him very differently; thinking it would’ve been more artistic than what it became; feeling overwhelmed by the hate regarding the look and choices."

Jared Leto Has Some Choice Words For Warner Bros. After SUICIDE SQUAD: "F*@# 'Em!"

Jared Leto has made it clear that he was upset to find out that so many of his scenes as The Joker were cut from Suicide Squad, and during a Q&A with fans this weekend at "Camp Mars" (a meet up of sorts for fans of his band Thirty Seconds to Mars), the Oscar winner made his dissatisfaction clear.

"He was very honest about the film this weekend; his disappointment in what he’s learned of the theatrical cut (he’s still not seen the film); feeling sort of tricked into being a part of something that had been pitched to him very differently; thinking it would’ve been more artistic than what it became; feeling overwhelmed by the hate regarding the look and choices."

BS. Good for them realizing how terrible it was

BS. Good for them realizing how terrible it was

In your opinion. Many others enjoyed the film.