• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

When I was researching merchandising information on the studios, I wasn't surprised Disney is #1 on the list and is so large it would equal the next few competitors combined. Warner Bros was #6 on the list because of all its associated movies, animation characters (including Looney Tunes) and TV shows.

So I can see how the merchandising must be a huge contributor to revenue. Disney uses it as secondary currency when negotiating with overseas studios, which seems smart.

We'll see how accurate the forecast is by end of weekend.

‘Suicide Squad’ Holding No. 1 Turf; ‘War Dogs’ & ‘Kubo’ In Staring Contest; ‘Ben-Hur’ Crashing – Noon B.O. Update

According to matinees, Warner Bros.’ Suicide Squad is on course to secure $19M-$20M in its third weekend, -55%. That will take Suicide Squad past $260M by Sunday, +17% over Guardians of the Galaxy‘s running cume at the same point in time. If Sony/Annapurna’s Sausage Party is going to upset it, it’s going to take a pretty hefty Friday, but as of right now the R-rated animated feature will cook $17M, -50% in second for a 10-day take of $67M.

Out of the new stuff, as expected, Ben-Hur‘s wheels are coming off with $10M-$12M for the weekend after a $3M-$3.5M Friday (including $900K Thursday night). That’s according to industry estimates. The Paramount/MGM production cost around $100M. Warner Bros.’ War Dogs action comedy is looking at $14M-$15M after $5M today (that includes last night’s $1.25M), while Focus Features/Laika’s Kubo and the Two Strings will sing $4.5M today and could nudge War Dogs for the No. 3 weekend spot with $14M-$15M. I’m told it boils down to how strong Kubo‘s grosses come in tonight. In its second go-round, Disney’s Pete’s Dragon is expected to come in between $10M-$11M for a 10-day take of $41M-$42M.

Sounds like Ben-Hur will not do well. And that is a shame, as Jack Huston truly is a fantastic actor. His performance on Boardwalk Empire was outstanding.

Not surprised.

Ben-Hur had a better trailer than I expected, but it already had a definitive remake 16 years ago when it was called Gladiator.

thankfully. maybe Hollywood's mindless remaking of every movie ever made would slow down if they all justifiably bombed.

finally saw it [rain/flooding down here has disrupted everything, even comic-movie attendance!], and liked it more than i expected. real problems with it, but i had a good time, as did my son.

loved will smith, liked robbie, had no problem with leto, but hated enchantress and her "brother." viola was superb.

finally saw it [rain/flooding down here has disrupted everything, even comic-movie attendance!], and liked it more than i expected. real problems with it, but i had a good time, as did my son.

loved will smith, liked robbie, had no problem with leto, but hated enchantress and her "brother." viola was superb.

She definitely stood out as one hardcore individual.

:ohnoez:

Just saw the movie tonight, absolutely loved it. Did not watch any DC films in the theater other than Batman. This was so much FUN!

It was (thumbs u

She was (thumbs u

Not surprised.

Ben-Hur had a better trailer than I expected, but it already had a definitive remake 16 years ago when it was called Gladiator.

thankfully. maybe Hollywood's mindless remaking of every movie ever made would slow down if they all justifiably bombed.

Yeah, I know Hollywood is all about the remakes, but even I was surprised they tried to do Ben Hur. That had bomb written all over it.

uuwr50S.png

Oddly enough, when Box Office Guru posted this and it landed on the official Suicide Squad twitter account, people started attacking him as a troll for calling out the weekend estimate being half of the previous weekend (like that was a bad thing).

HtBSIgk.png

iKeejpj.png

3X Revenue Ratio without the new International Box Office results added to the overall total.

I really hope that this movie can somehow top MOS final numbers without China. That should ensure a sequel and possibly a focus on Batman vs. Joker/Harley in the next Batman flick. :wishluck:

FWIW, my wife and son did not go with my daughter and I to see it (conflict with his sports) on the opening weekend. Since my daugther and all of my son's friends are talking about how great it was we will all be doing our part to boost the numbers by going again tomorrow. lol

Edited by kimik

]I really hope that this movie can somehow top MOS final numbers without China.[/b] That should ensure a sequel and possibly a focus on Batman vs. Joker/Harley in the next Batman flick. :wishluck:

FWIW, my wife and son did not go with my daughter and I to see it (conflict with his sports) on the opening weekend. Since my daugther and all of my son's friends are talking about how great it was we will all be doing our part to boost the numbers by going again tomorrow. lol

unless 10mm Chinese people went to Japan to view it, there's no prayer of this happening

]I really hope that this movie can somehow top MOS final numbers without China.[/b] That should ensure a sequel and possibly a focus on Batman vs. Joker/Harley in the next Batman flick. :wishluck:

unless 10mm Chinese people went to Japan to view it, there's no prayer of this happening

Agreed. I'm still sticking with my 600MM. The movie is already petering out with very weak competition in the marketplace and those remaining international releases aren't going to add big numbers.

-J.

It is improbable that it can top the MOS total without a Chinese audience, but my :wishluck: that it does.

Regardless, I think that the results to date (it is tracking ahead of GoTG which was a great movie IMHO) should give the greenlight for a sequel.

It is improbable that it can top the MOS total without a Chinese audience, but my :wishluck: that it does.

Regardless, I think that the results to date (it is tracking ahead of GoTG which was a great movie IMHO) should give the greenlight for a sequel.

You still have Japan ahead of all the other markets that still will be contributing to the overall box office.

Japanese Box Office results:

- X-Men: Apocalypse: $3,131,615

- Civil War: $24,366,759

- Batman v Superman: $16,531,874

- Deadpool: $18,916,494

- Man of Steel: $8,993,829

Even if it lands on the low-end (but not Apocalypse low :eek: ), that would be at least $9MM-$12MM. This film will probably end much higher because of the unique imagery and wild characters that the Japanese market can appreciate.

By the way, my family and I just got back from seeing Kubo in 3-D. A really cool film. But for an opening weekend, there were 8 other people in the entire theater.

You'd take your family to see a movie about a rabid dog!?! :o

By the way, my family and I just got back from seeing Kubo in 3-D. A really cool film. But for an opening weekend, there were 8 other people in the entire theater.

Useful information for kids when living across the pond.

NewEnglandGothic funfact #31,816

I went through two separate sets of rabies shots while growing up.

Once when I was five (farm dog) and another when I was 34 (feral kitten.) :eek:

#41&rabiezfree :acclaim:

lol

Silly.

:foryou: