• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

Stepping away from movie performance and back to movie content for a sec...

I thought Margot Robbie did a nice job with Harley. My only gripe was the accent seemed to wax and wane. Sometimes it was very thick, other times it was non-existent. It reminded me of Storm from the very first X-Men movie where the accent was all over the place. Ultimately, Storm's accent was dropped completely in subsequent films.

I'm much more a Marvel guy and my knowledge of Harley Quinn as a character is limited to my childhood viewings of Batman: TAS and more recently the Arkham games (which are great!).

The question is: what are Harley's skills and abilities? In the Arkham games, she seems to be a competent gymnast, but Batman is able to subdue her with relative ease...easier than common henchmen in at least 1 case. Her danger factor stems from her unpredictable nature, not any type of exceptional physical prowess.

So what makes her worth taking into a fight like they did in Suicide Squad? You had trained soldiers with guns and body armor getting taken out by the henchmen in the Suicide Squad movie. Then you've got Harley in a skimpy outfit with a baseball bat holding her own with seemingly little effort.

In any media, is she shown to have enhanced traits of any kind? Other than being a fan favorite, is there anything behind the scenes going on that make her good in a fight? Genuine question, I don't know the character well.

There's your answer.

This movie will pass The Amazing Spider-Man and Captain America: Winter Soldier domestically this weekend. Next up is Man of Steel.

Even with inflated dollars, it already passed up worldwide one of my favorite Marvel Studios movies.

3wuvGrd.png

Truly remarkable box office figures (so far) for a movie that both critics (26% RT, 40% MC) and fans (RT 69%, IMDB 6.8) seem to generally think is garbage.

But even at its current numbers, it is still not close to being in the black. Must be why the studio has remained mum on talk of sequels and spin-off movies.

-J.

With Germany today, Austria tomorrow and two more markets not long after - in addition to its current run rate - this most probably goes to $600MM worldwide. That's supposedly the target that you may start to hear about sequels.

XlucE62.png

Remaining box office releases:

Germany: 18 August 2016

Austria: 19 August 2016

Greece: 25 August 2016

Japan: 10 September 2016

Truly remarkable box office figures (so far) for a movie that both critics (26% RT, 40% MC) and fans (RT 69%, IMDB 6.8) seem to generally think is garbage.

But even at its current numbers, it is still not close to being in the black. Must be why the studio has remained mum on talk of sequels and spin-off movies.

-J.

What is the number it has to hit to be in the black? And, how much did they take in up front from merchandising before the movie went into production?

As far as why it is doing well, that is simple. This movie appeals to a younger age demographic. My daughter is 12, and she and all of her friends love the film. More importantly for DC and their licensees, they are buying the merchandise afterwards. We have had to order some of the SS stuff my daughter wants online as it was sold out of all of the local Hot Topic stores here in town the first week. Now she wants some sort of SS "plush" toy things that all of her friends have. doh!

Edited by kimik

What is the number it has to hit to be in the black? And, how much did they take in up front from merchandising before the movie went into production?

As far as why it is doing well, that is simple. This movie appeals to a younger age demographic. My daughter is 12, and she and all of her friends love the film. More importantly for DC and their licensees, they are buying the merchandise afterwards. We have had to order some of the SS stuff my daughter wants online as it was sold out of all of the local Hot Topic stores here in town the first week. Now she wants some sort of SS "plush" toy things that all of her friends have. doh!

Another Forbes.com article on the current SS box office and results needed to break even.

FORBES.COM: 'Suicide Squad' Dominates Despite Media's Gloom And Doom

If second weekend domestic predictions pan out, Suicide Squad will pass $465 million worldwide by close of business Sunday. Should the Wednesday and Thursday foreign totals wind up on the higher end of estimates, and should it hold better overseas due to its opening in additional markets, then the film could hypothetically end its sophomore weekend with something closer to $470-475 million in global receipts. Low-end, it will top $450 million, high-end should include a plausible shot at the $480 million range if all the stars align in its favor.

The long-term prospects point to Suicide Squad passing $600 million with no trouble. Average holds would push it to anywhere between $620-650 million worldwide. Better than average declines and a few more record-setting days could get it to $700 million. I’m betting the final tally falls somewhere between $650 million and $700 million, but I’ll revise that estimate after I see this weekend’s actuals and how it holds during the weekdays immediately afterward. If it surpasses predictions and takes $60 million domestic plus north of that number abroad, and if next week’s daily figures show a decline of less than 50% from the previous week, then it will look headed toward the higher end of estimates for sure.

How does this stack up against the film’s costs? Well, first off all I can tell you that these $800 million “break-even point” claims floating around are false. The film needs to do about $600 million in global ticket sales to cover the shooting budget (including reshoots) plus marketing costs, since the studio will only get about half of the box office receipts to cover the combined costs that total roughly $300 million. Claims in the press of marketing exceeding $150-200 million are gross exaggerations, as are rumors of costly reshoots that pushed the filming budget closer toward the $200 million range.

And his numbers don't even account for the product placement revenue from Bushmills Whiskey, Samsung (Boomerang's drone; Deadshot phone when he receives payment for a hit), Dasani Water, Coke, Monster Energy Drink, and one article mentions La Croix Sparkling Water (I didn't catch the Joker with this).

Way too much buzz being generated for this movie to not have a sequel (or at least a couple spin offs). The movie got trashed by critics and it still pulled in good numbers. I saw it - I liked it for what it was.

Another Forbes.com article on the current SS box office and results needed to break even.

If second weekend domestic predictions pan out, Suicide Squad will pass $465 million worldwide by close of business Sunday. Should the Wednesday and Thursday foreign totals wind up on the higher end of estimates, and should it hold better overseas due to its opening in additional markets, then the film could hypothetically end its sophomore weekend with something closer to $470-475 million in global receipts. Low-end, it will top $450 million, high-end should include a plausible shot at the $480 million range if all the stars align in its favor.

The long-term prospects point to Suicide Squad passing $600 million with no trouble. Average holds would push it to anywhere between $620-650 million worldwide. Better than average declines and a few more record-setting days could get it to $700 million. I’m betting the final tally falls somewhere between $650 million and $700 million, but I’ll revise that estimate after I see this weekend’s actuals and how it holds during the weekdays immediately afterward. If it surpasses predictions and takes $60 million domestic plus north of that number abroad, and if next week’s daily figures show a decline of less than 50% from the previous week, then it will look headed toward the higher end of estimates for sure.

How does this stack up against the film’s costs? Well, first off all I can tell you that these $800 million “break-even point” claims floating around are false. The film needs to do about $600 million in global ticket sales to cover the shooting budget (including reshoots) plus marketing costs, since the studio will only get about half of the box office receipts to cover the combined costs that total roughly $300 million. Claims in the press of marketing exceeding $150-200 million are gross exaggerations, as are rumors of costly reshoots that pushed the filming budget closer toward the $200 million range.

And his numbers don't even account for the product placement revenue from Bushmills Whiskey, Samsung (Boomerang's drone; Deadshot phone when he receives payment for a hit), Dasani Water, Coke, Monster Energy Drink, and one article mentions La Croix Sparkling Water (I didn't catch the Joker with this).

That may, at best, off set the error in the statement that studios will "get only about half of the box office receipts".

About half of the North American box office ?

Yes.

Half of the international ?

No.

More like 25-40% there, depending on the country. And since most of its revenue (like most big movies these days) is coming from international , it will have to do closer to the 700MM to turn even a marginal profit (and I do not believe it will hit that figure).

-J.

That's a true statement.

And it goes to why domestic box office is far more an important figure in profitability than the international. (And why, for instance, Amazing Spider-Man 2 was a failure even at $757 million worldwide.)

It's only in _very_ rare cases that the international box office is so lopsided relative to domestic that it _really_ matters (like Terminator Genysis - first film to do $400 million plus worldwide while making less than $100 million domestic).

Also, China's the worst offenders, typically granting studios only a 25% cut. Since it's not a factor here, the studio cut of the whole international market is going to be larger.

Any word on how much came in via product placement? That would impact the break even point.

I am curious to see what the breakdown is for the Marvel movies. They spend a ton on marketing as well, and anything with RDJ has a monster talent/actor expense.

Any word on how much came in via product placement? That would impact the break even point.

I am curious to see what the breakdown is for the Marvel movies. They spend a ton on marketing as well, and anything with RDJ has a monster talent/actor expense.

And now that we know Paramount was taking 8% to 9% of the final profit all the way up to Thor: The Dark World - in addition to the large profit share RDJ was getting leading to his $40MM-$50MM payout - it demonstrates how much hidden expense is out there making it difficult to easily determine the final profit numbers. Even for those sites that have done a really nice job of outlining these details.

And now that we know Paramount was taking 8% to 9% of the final profit all the way up to Thor: The Dark World - in addition to the large profit share RDJ was getting leading to his $40MM-$50MM payout - it demonstrates how much hidden expense is out there making it difficult to easily determine the final profit numbers. Even for those sites that have done a really nice job of outlining these details.

and ultimately, its nice to know for us fans, but what does it really matter other than getting to speculative talking points (which I admit is fun but not worth getting worked up about)? RDJ making $60M instead of $30M will have little impact on what I have for lunch today, or who I vote for in the next election. I'm GUESSING most of us are not going to be real financiers or investors of future comic book movies, other than buying a few tickets or owning an insignificant amount of stocks in Disney or Time Warner.

And if were playing with the big boys (I guess some of us might), we wouldn't be worried about what barely qualifies as news wrapped in rumors wrapped in bacon that these clickbaiters are selling to us, we'd be given access to real information.

and ultimately, its nice to know for us fans, but what does it really matter other than getting to speculative talking points (which I admit is fun but not worth getting worked up about)? RDJ making $60M instead of $30M will have little impact on what I have for lunch today, or who I vote for in the next election. I'm GUESSING most of us are not going to be real financiers or investors of future comic book movies, other than buying a few tickets or owning an insignificant amount of stocks in Disney or Time Warner.

And if were playing with the big boys (I guess some of us might), we wouldn't be worried about what barely qualifies as news wrapped in rumors wrapped in bacon that these clickbaiters are selling to us, we'd be given access to real information.

With these movies we either love, hate or are indifferent over, the financial results either leads to a bust or potential sequels or spin-offs. The money as a discussion topic is going to come up in the conversation.

It comes with the territory.

That may, at best, off set the error in the statement that studios will "get only about half of the box office receipts".

Yes.

No.

More like 25-40% there, depending on the country. And since most of its revenue (like most big movies these days) is coming from international , it will have to do closer to the 700MM to turn even a marginal profit (and I do not believe it will hit that figure).

-J.

And that is why I use a 2.5X revenue multiplier as an early indicator a film is going down the success path. Though the more you learn of all these little deals where so many get a piece of the pie, you start to wonder if 3X is a safer bet.

But more sites have started noted 30% to 40% as the international assumption. But it makes more sense larger studios are going to have greater bargaining power. Especially those that cut local markets in on the local merchandising revenue like Disney.

Yes.

No.

-J.

Suicide Squad

Budget: $175MM

Domestic: $238MM (so far)

Foreign: $243MM (so far)

Based on what you are saying, why did Marvel/Disney proceed with sequels to Thor, Captain America, Ant Man, and Iron Man since they all apparently lost money or at best broken even?

Thor

Budget: $150MM

Domestic: $181MM

Foreign: $268MM

Captain America

Budget: $140MM

Domestic: $177MM

Foreign: $193MM

Captain America: Winter Soldier

Budget: $170MM

Domestic: $259MM

Foreign: $455MM

Ant Man

Budget: $130MM

Domestic: $180MM

Foreign: $339MM

Iron Man 2

Budget: $200MM

Domestic: $312MM

Foreign: $312MM

Edited by rjrjr

Yes.

No.

-J.

Based on this, why did Marvel/Disney proceed with sequels to Thor, Captain America, Ant Man, and Iron Man since they all apparently lost money?

Good point, as with Captain America: The First Avenger it landed at 2.6X Revenue Ratio, and 52.3% of its revenue came from the International Box Office.

Yes.

No.

-J.

Based on this, why did Marvel/Disney proceed with sequels to Thor, Captain America, Ant Man, and Iron Man since they all apparently lost money?

Good point, as with Captain America: The First Avenger it landed at 2.6X Revenue Ratio, and 52.3% of its revenue came from the International Box Office.

I just added the info to my post about budget and domestic/foreign numbers for some of these movies. Apparently Disney/Marvel has been losing money on many of their superhero movies. :sorry: Hollywood has it all wrong and they should just stop making them since they are not profitable.

Edited by rjrjr

Yes.

No.

-J.

I just added the info to my post about budget and domestic numbers for some of these movies. Apparently Disney/Marvel has been losing money on many of their superhero movies. :sorry:

you need to differentiate between theatrical release break even and ultimate profitability. for example, if SS does $300MM domestic and $400MM int'l, that leads to $325MM to the studio (55% X $300MM + 40% X$400MM) versus $175MM production budget and $150MM marketing spend. that's theatrical break even. where WB makes all the dough is on ancillary $'s: home video, TV, foreign home video, foreign TV, product placement, merchandising. these are all high margins $'s. my buddy, who analyzed these co's for a living said studios were happy to break even on theatrical release.

Yes.

No.

-J.

I just added the info to my post about budget and domestic numbers for some of these movies. Apparently Disney/Marvel has been losing money on many of their superhero movies. :sorry:

you need to differentiate between theatrical release break even and ultimate profitability. for example, if SS does $300MM domestic and $400MM int'l, that leads to $325MM to the studio (55% X $300MM + 40% X$400MM) versus $175MM production budget and $150MM marketing spend. that's theatrical break even. where WB makes all the dough is on ancillary $'s: home video, TV, foreign home video, foreign TV, product placement, merchandising. these are all high margins $'s. my buddy, who analyzed these co's for a living said studios were happy to break even on theatrical release.

paperheart, I was being facitious. I'm aware these movies all made money for the studio, just like Suicide Squad is making money for Warner Bros. I'm just making fun of the attempt to paint Suicide Squad as a money loser by comparing it to the Marvel studio output.

I should have added Guardians of the Galaxy, since apparently it's budget was $232MM, not $170MM as is reported on Box Office Mojo:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2015/01/27/disney-reveals-guardians-of-the-galaxy-was-over-budget-at-232-million/#4adb00c42f36

I guess I can dig up the marketing budget's for these Marvel movies for comparison, but I think I've made my point. Disney/Marvel would not be producing these movies unless they were making money, and seeing as how Suicide Squad has already outperformed several Marvel's movies, I think it is a safe bet that it also is/will make money for Warner Bros/DC.

Edited by rjrjr