• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

By the way, my family and I just got back from seeing Kubo in 3-D. A really cool film. But for an opening weekend, there were 8 other people in the entire theater.

:ohnoez:

We watched Kubo today in 2d. Really really good movie. Deep, kind of dark and very moving. Highly Recommended.

Saw Suicide Squad with a bunch of friends and family,

:news:

We all loved it. On par with Deadpool and GotG! :o

Shocking that the Rotten Tomatoes critics were all wet about another DC movie.

I still don`t get it.

Suicide Squad owned it.

Will Smith was the boss as Deadshot, and who is cooler than Harley Quinn?

Leto was pretty good as the Joker and he appeared in enough of the movie.

Kudos to Killer Croc and El Diablo as they were the Rocket Racoon and Groot of the Suicide Squad.

I hope there is a Suicide Squad sequel, as I would much rather see that than another Ant-Man movie.

:wishluck:

I still don`t get it.

Suicide Squad owned it.

Kudos to Killer Croc and El Diablo as they were the Rocket Racoon and Groot of the Suicide Squad.

I hope there is a Suicide Squad sequel, as I would much rather see that than another Ant-Man movie.

Oscar nominations coming?

I still don`t get it.

Suicide Squad owned it.

I think Warner rather have one of the greatest box office for a movie in August than a statue.

Suicide Squad just won it`s third week in a row at the box office.

Not to mention all the Suicide Squad merchandise sold.

Any word on how much came in via product placement? That would impact the break even point.

I am curious to see what the breakdown is for the Marvel movies. They spend a ton on marketing as well, and anything with RDJ has a monster talent/actor expense.

I was surprised how open Warner Bros. was about the Man of Steel product placement revenue ($160MM +). I don't think they always share those numbers so freely.

Now as far as global licensing goes, Disney is king (or queen, depending on your preference) of the heap. But Warner Bros. numbers are nothing to be embarrassed over. A few years back the topic came up. Someone assumed all of Disney licenses brands were Marvel, so they were noting Disney/Marvel was worth $41B while DC was $6B.

Disney was Star Wars-Marvel-Disney Traditional-ESPN at that point. Warner was DC Superheroes-Harry Potter-Looney Tunes-Hanna Barbera.

That is a hugely misleading article. Comparing Disney's licensing to Warner Bros' licensing is not the same as comparing Marvel's licensing to DC's. Of course Disney's licensing eclipses Warner Bros', that is all Disney does with their properties which include Disney princesses, Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars. And are we also just talking about recent years or reaching back further when DC dominated toys with Batman? Batman has been a toy store perennial since I was a kid in the 70s.

I have to agree on the article comparing Disney to Warner. Marvel is buried in the details now.

Top 150 Global Licensors

Disney Consumer Products, once again with the distinction as the world's largest licensor, reported a total of $40.9 billion in retail sales of licensed merchandise worldwide in 2013 and includes companies Marvel, Lucasfilm, ABC Television and ESPN.

-------------------------

Warner Bros. Consumer Products remains at No. 7 once again, reporting $6 billion in retail sales.

Disney has so many licenses from so many companies, it is one massive portfolio of princesses, anthropomorphic animals, Star Wars characters and now superheroes.

Warner Consumer Products

These include such world-renowned icons as DC Comics’ Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman and Supergirl, along with blockbuster film franchise Harry Potter, and the beloved Looney Tunes, Scooby-Doo and Hanna-Barbera properties, including Yogi Bear and Tom & Jerry. Also included in the vast stable of properties are classic films such as The Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind. WBCP also represents several powerhouse football/soccer brands and the highest-profile football/soccer tournaments.

Much of the Warner licenses outside of DC characters are either movie franchise-related or long-established animated properties that periodically make appearances.

So both companies are fully taking advantage of their brands with licensed products. You just can't take Disney and assume that is all Marvel merchandising revenue.

I still don`t get it.

Suicide Squad owned it.

better than Amazing Spider-Man 2?

Yeah - but winning the August box office is kinda' like being the 2nd-tallest person in Japan.

You're not one of those people who shout "loser" at the silver medalists are you?

Way too much buzz being generated for this movie to not have a sequel (or at least a couple spin offs). The movie got trashed by critics and it still pulled in good numbers. I saw it - I liked it for what it was.

I'd like a Suicide Squad: Deadshot & Harley movie.

I think move 'shot into the role of a bit of a protector/father figure over Harley would be a good dynamic, and play it as a buddy cop type movie... (not really cops)

I still don`t get it.

Suicide Squad owned it.

I think Warner rather have one of the greatest box office for a movie in August than a statue.

Suicide Squad just won it`s third week in a row at the box office.

Not to mention all the Suicide Squad merchandise sold.

WB should be proud for maximizing the "Fool And His Money" Index (trademark pending) which is a measure of WW box office (in millions) divided by Rotten Tomatoes score. SS will hit about a 27 on FAHM- impressive but doesn't match the 32 FAHM of BvS which compares favorably w/ such classics as: Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon (32 FAHM) and Pirates of the Caribbean: Stranger Tides (33 FAHM).

‘Suicide Squad’ Slices Up ‘War Dogs’, ‘Kubo’ As ‘Ben-Hur’ Crashes – Early Sunday AM Update

DC villain holdover The Suicide Squad continued to rule No. 1 with an estimated $20.7M.

The most intriguing newcomer simply because of its $100M size and ambition was MGM/Paramount’s Ben Hur remake. And based on audiences’ votes with their wallets, the Timur Bekmambetov title was thumbed down by the masses with a sixth place debut of $11.1M per early morning industry numbers.

Sony/Annapurna’s Sausage Party eased an estimated -56% for $15.2M in second place and a running cume of $65.2M.

Warner Bros. Todd Phillips action film War Dogs, which carries an estimated production cost in the $40M range, is taking third with $14.3M.

Focus Features/Laika’s Kubo and the Two Strings is coming in fourth with $12.6M, which is a tad higher than we saw it this weekend, but the lowest opening for both studios’ fourth collaboration.

Box Office: 'Suicide Squad' Tops $300M Overseas For $572M Worldwide Cume

As the headline notes, Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc.’s Suicide Squad has passed $300 million in overseas earnings as of this weekend. The DC Films supervillain caper earned $38m in 64 foreign territories along with its $20.7m domestic weekend gross. The film has now earned $310.4m overseas, which combined with its $262.2m domestic total brings the film’s worldwide cume to $572.6m thus far.

That’s the eighth-biggest global grosser of 2016 and the fifth-biggest live-action grosser of the year thus far. The film earned $6.8 million in Germany this weekend, which was 13% higher than Guardians of the Galaxy and about on par with Deadpool. That is the last major overseas market for the David Ayer picture since it isn’t playing in China until it opens in Japan on September 10th. Among already opened markets, the film has earned $36.1m in the United Kingdom, $27.1m in Brazil, and $23.6m in Mexico.

Add that to the $22.6 million from Russia and the $21.1m from Australia. The Will Smith/Margot Robbie caper has earned $15.1m in France and $14.2m in South Korea. We’ll see how it holds up between now and its big debut in Japan. At this juncture, $600m+ is an all-but a done deal, with the question being if it can make it to $650m before it cashes out. Had it played in China, we would probably have been talking about a possible $700m+ cume, so that’s one situation where China mattered regarding perception.

Amazing!

Scott Mendelson seems to be questioning that high-budget article, which makes sense. Especially since his contributor peer ('gloom and doom' no more) stated the same early on.

There was that Hollywood Reporter article that went out just before opening day which stated that the film (with marketing and production costs all factored in) needed $750-$800m to break even. That struck me as a bit high, especially if it did cost $175m to produce.

Here’s the rub: If that number is true, and if Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc. can’t make a profit off a Suicide Squad movie that tops $600 million worldwide, then they need to have a conversation about costs. Because Suicide Squad, even with Will Smith in the lead and Harley Quinn in a supporting role (and Batman/Joker cameos), is still a comparatively B-level property. That this B-level property scored the fourth-biggest opening weekend of the year and will end up among the top grossers of the year around the world has to count as a win regarding brand interest and marketing skill.

This is a classic case of word of mouth being better than critic reviews which leads to a nice box office. :applause:

Based on the results from this weekend, it still has a chance to top MOS. :wishluck:

What I find funny about the posters on these boards is this: if you read the ASM Homecoming thread and the Marvel fanboys are talking about how it is fine that they are changin the character ethnicities/ages and aiming the movie at a younger demographic. WB does that with SS and all of the Marvel fanboys are hammering the film. lol

Edited by kimik

This is a classic case of there being nothing better for the millennial crowd to watch in the theatre for 3 weeks in a row. Excellent timing on WB/DC part.

It's not just the millennial crowd that likes this. Two of the people who I saw this with were soccer moms. One had a Master's in Teaching.

A lot of people liked this movie as it has now won three consecutive weeks.

The word of mouth got around that this was a fun and exciting movie like Deadpool.

This is a classic case of there being nothing better for the millennial crowd to watch in the theatre for 3 weeks in a row. Excellent timing on WB/DC part.

It's not just the millennial crowd that likes this. Two of the people who I saw this with were soccer moms. One had a Master's in Teaching.

The word of mouth got around that this was a fun and exciting movie like Deadpool.

Yep. It appeals to us Pre-Millennials too.

Yep. It appeals to us Pre-Millennials too.

We'll gauge that on your "WolfCop" viewing. hm