• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

This is a classic case of there being nothing better for the millennial crowd to watch in the theatre for 3 weeks in a row. Excellent timing on WB/DC part.

It's not just the millennial crowd that likes this. Two of the people who I saw this with were soccer moms. One had a Master's in Teaching.

A lot of people liked this movie as it has now won three consecutive weeks.

The word of mouth got around that this was a fun and exciting movie like Deadpool.

Yep. It appeals to us Pre-Millennials too.

We'll gauge that on your "WolfCop" viewing. hm

lol

I'll have to buy a copy... It'll be a while before it's back on TV.

This is a classic case of word of mouth being better than critic reviews which leads to a nice box office. :applause:

Based on the results from this weekend, it still has a chance to top MOS. :wishluck:

What I find funny about the posters on these boards is this: if you read the ASM Homecoming thread and the Marvel fanboys are talking about how it is fine that they are changin the character ethnicities/ages and aiming the movie at a younger demographic. WB does that with SS and all of the Marvel fanboys are hammering the film. lol

no prayer. honestly, the math isn't that complicated.

This is a classic case of word of mouth being better than critic reviews which leads to a nice box office. :applause:

Based on the results from this weekend, it still has a chance to top MOS. :wishluck:

What I find funny about the posters on these boards is this: if you read the ASM Homecoming thread and the Marvel fanboys are talking about how it is fine that they are changin the character ethnicities/ages and aiming the movie at a younger demographic. WB does that with SS and all of the Marvel fanboys are hammering the film. lol

Domestic is a given with the holiday next weekend. International will be close. Did Man of Steel play in China? If so, make the accomplishment of Suicide Squad that much better IMHO.

Edited by rjrjr

Domestic is a given with the holiday next weekend. International will be close. Did Man of Steel play in China? If so, make the accomplishment of Suicide Squad that much better IMHO.

It did. Man of Steel brought in $63,440,000 at the Chinese Box Office alone, which accounted for 17% of the overall International Box Office. So quite the boost.

If Suicide Squad comes even close to this without China, that would be impressive.

oh, MOS. last we were talking it was BvS. I'm getting these POS confused.

So true. SS is killing it in Russia at nearly 20 million in 10 days. I honestly don't think they kept Civil War in theaters more than 10 days, but I can see SS sticking around for a month+. Japan alone should be another 15+ million. There's still 10 - 12 weeks plus to go also & if the tickets keep selling, that time line could be extended. It should reach 270+ domestically by Thursday, giving it a 55% drop on the 3rd week. If it follows the pace on BvS from this point on, it should reach 300 domestic. It will certainly come close to MOS at the very least & should be able to pass it.

love the touting of winning three straight weekends...

Its august. Its competing against and niche movies.

Guardians didnt win its first three weekends (cause it actually went up against another big movie in its 2nd weekend)... think DC would prefer Guardian results or SSquad results?

SSquad's gonna finish in first with about 20.7m which will be about 16% of the total box office. which is pretty underwhelming. It's fine for a 3rd weekend sure, but if it had any real competition it would be down in #2 or 3 at this point...

Even BvS still had 22% of the market when it fell to 2nd place in it's 3rd weekend...

so point is 1st place isnt impressive when there's no competition and you're just squeeking past a week and divided audience (top 6 movies all finish between 11 and 20m this weekend)

Guardians didnt win its first three weekends (cause it actually went up against another big movie in its 2nd weekend)... think DC would prefer Guardian results or SSquad results?

SSquad's gonna finish in first with about 20.7m which will be about 16% of the total box office. which is pretty underwhelming. It's fine for a 3rd weekend sure, but if it had any real competition it would be down in #2 or 3 at this point...

Even BvS still had 22% of the market when it fell to 2nd place in it's 3rd weekend...

so point is 1st place isnt impressive when there's no competition and you're just squeeking past a week and divided audience (top 6 movies all finish between 11 and 20m this weekend)

Sounds like sour grapes.

Were you this vocal when Guardians of the Galaxy took #1 at the box office with $17M twice and $10M once? (Yes, it was #1 with only $10M.)

Edited by rjrjr

I love how you love some imagined touting of a third weekend when the only thing that has been reported is the movie won a third weekend.

:insane:

Although it may seem positive when people dump all over this movie, no matter how many folks state they found it at least entertaining. We all love that.

(:

Sounds like sour grapes.

Were you this vocal when Guardians of the Galaxy took #1 at the box office with $17M twice and $10M once? (Yes, it was #1 with only $10M.)

I loved that. As after all - it is August. Easy-peasy month for being a #1 movie. Why, every movie gets to claim that title. It's an August tradition.

Saw Suicide Squad with a bunch of friends and family,

:news:

We all loved it. On par with Deadpool and GotG! :o

Shocking that the Rotten Tomatoes critics were all wet about another DC movie.

I still don`t get it.

Suicide Squad owned it.

Will Smith was the boss as Deadshot, and who is cooler than Harley Quinn?

Leto was pretty good as the Joker and he appeared in enough of the movie.

Kudos to Killer Croc and El Diablo as they were the Rocket Racoon and Groot of the Suicide Squad.

I hope there is a Suicide Squad sequel, as I would much rather see that than another Ant-Man movie.

:wishluck:

Oscar nominations coming?

I think Warner rather have one of the greatest box office for a movie in August than a statue.

Suicide Squad just won it`s third week in a row at the box office.

Not to mention all the Suicide Squad merchandise sold.

Never underestimate Hollywood egos.

Everyone wants to win the gold in March.

It gives credibility to an actor or filmmaker.

These kinds of movies are just mortgage payments to an actor/actress/director.

Guranteed franchises, served to us as products we buy into, like our beloved funnybooks.

You think Will Smith would rather play Deadshot in a string of DC movies or win an Oscar for something meaningful?

Same with Affleck (a very gifted director) is seemingly going to make a new career playing Batman.

Eventually, the studios are going to have to evolve this genre from summer tentpole movies, into something of more meaning (the inner turmoil and politics of The Dark Knight,) if they want to be taken seriously in the Hollywood community.

Goodbye, final showdowns with the main villain, dispensing hundreds of CG aliens, robots, undead armies, choppy editing, etc.

This is a classic case of there being nothing better for the millennial crowd to watch in the theatre for 3 weeks in a row. Excellent timing on WB/DC part.

It's not just the millennial crowd that likes this. Two of the people who I saw this with were soccer moms. One had a Master's in Teaching.

The word of mouth got around that this was a fun and exciting movie like Deadpool.

But he does have a point about there being nothing much else out. There's no way it would've won the weekend with 20 mil if there were other big releases. So yeah, excellent timing on WBs part.

But he does have a point about there being nothing much else out. There's no way it would've won the weekend with 20 mil if there were other big releases. So yeah, excellent timing on WBs part.

I think the same thing happened with FOX's There's Something About Mary in '97. Except that went from August working it's was up to the top spot on Labor Day weekend. Not a lot of competition, but a word-of-mouth campaign.

What did GotG have to go up against last year?

Sounds like sour grapes.

that was GOTG's 6th weekend. let me know how SS is doing in it's 6th weekend by comparison. the notion that SS is exhibiting any kind of legs is ludicrous. down 67% 2nd weekend, down 52% third weekend. this is barely better than BvS down 69%, down 54%. BvS had close to the worst superhero movie holds on record. the comps will look better after next weekend when BvS got clubbed down 61% by Jungle Book and SS is going up against Mechanic: Resurrection (which will be fortunate to do $10mm). SS should be #1 the next two weekends.

Sounds like sour grapes.

that was GOTG's 6th weekend. let me know how SS is doing in it's 6th weekend by comparison. the notion that SS is exhibiting any kind of legs is ludicrous. down 67% 2nd weekend, down 52% third weekend. this is barely better than BvS down 69%, down 54%. BvS had close to the worst superhero movie holds on record. the comps will look better after next weekend when BvS got clubbed down 61% by Jungle Book and SS is going up against Mechanic: Resurrection (which will be fortunate to do $10mm). SS should be #1 the next two weekends.

Yeah - Guardians of the Galaxy this ain't.

SS went from an opening weekend record more than 35% higher than GotG to doing much worse starting this weekend:

Suicide Squad:

Friday: $6 million

Saturday: $8.7 million

Sunday: $5.9 million

Guardians:

Friday: $6.9 million

Saturday: $10.4 million

Sunday: $7.8 million

It's falling fast & hard, despite the lack of any serious competition.

And we comic fans should applaud this, so maybe DC stops putting out .

What did GotG have to go up against last year?

August 2-4 estimates

Weekend Projections

1. Guardians of the Galaxy - $95 million

2. Lucy - $18 million

3. Get on Up - $15 million

4. Hercules - $10.3 million

5. Dawn/Apes - $8.4 million

1st weekend was $94.3MM - largest August debut (not anymore)

2nd weekend dropped only 55% - but toppled by TMNT

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ruled the box office with $65.6 million this weekend. That ranks fourth all-time in the month of August.

In second place, Guardians of the Galaxy fell 55 percent to $42.1 million, which is the biggest second weekend of the Summer.

So it did end up with some competition at that point with a semi-established franchise. Though it was a relaunched franchise.

3rd weekend dropped 40% - solid #2 spot

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fell 57 percent to $28.5 million.

In its third weekend, Guardians of the Galaxy eased 40 percent to $25.1 million.

Let's Be Cops, which took third place with $17.8 million.

The Expendables 3 opened in fourth place with $15.9 million.

By the third weekend, the only new threat was Expendables 3 - which bombed. So it really came down to TMNT and Guardians. And with TMNT, it had dropped enough it was in a weak spot.

For the record, Guardians of the Galaxy ranks #1/#2 for me as a Marvel Studios movie, neck-and-neck with Captain America: The Winter Soldier. So it's not like I am not a fan.

I just think it is odd to try and compare Suicide Squad (more a 'The Dirty Dozen' style film) to Guardians of the Galaxy (a light version of 'Star Wars'). And at least with Guardians, the story was much more straightforward and well told. Trying to ram them together into a comparison is just forced ranking with no real value other than they were lower-end properties made to be the next big thing.

I just think it is odd to try and compare Suicide Squad (more a 'The Dirty Dozen' style film) to Guardians of the Galaxy (a light version of 'Star Wars').

I think they get matched because:

1. They came out almost at the same time, and release date affects revenue, so if u r comparing $ it is more apples to apples.

2. Neither movie was working from some big preexisting IP audience base.

I love how you love some imagined touting of a third weekend when the only thing that has been reported is the movie won a third weekend.

I love how you... love how I love... now Im lost... (kidding!)

first Bosco let me say thanks for all the data you keep and track on the movies, I love looking at the numbers (I spend way to much time playing FantasyMovieLeague).

You are right reporting that SSquad won it's 3rd week in a row is totally legit. I was referring to the people (here, elsewhere) that use the 3x 1st place to validate their opinion that the movie is good.

for example

I think DC SHOULD be satisfied with the level of success SSquad has had considering they've launched an unknown title with a more than proportional return compared to far more known IPs like Superman and Batman. They swung far bigger (175m) than Marvel did with their lesser known properties (like Antman, with just a 130m budget), and we'll see if their ending return ratio closer to Marvel's result with AntMan, 4.0)