• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

first Bosco let me say thanks for all the data you keep and track on the movies, I love looking at the numbers (I spend way to much time playing FantasyMovieLeague).

Thank you! It's become a hobby unto itself.

You are right reporting that SSquad won it's 3rd week in a row is totally legit. I was referring to the people (here, elsewhere) that use the 3x 1st place to validate their opinion that the movie is good.

for example

A lot of people liked this movie as it has now won three consecutive weeks.

For all the negative that is repeatedly posted about this movie in this thread - and usually by the same forumites over and over - a little drop of sunshine that it won a third weekend and noting people liked it is the least of the concerns here.

They swung far bigger (175m) than Marvel did with their lesser known properties (like Antman, with just a 130m budget), and we'll see if their ending return ratio closer to Marvel's result with AntMan, 4.0)

We'll see. With Ant-Man, Disney heavily promoted it as spinning out from its Marvel Universe, versus Suicide Squad quickly mentioning Superman's death and brief appearances of Batman. Remember the Avengers poster campaign?

New ‘Ant-Man’ Posters Sell Avengers Angle

AsaIayi.png

These ended up all over the place, including in airports, sides of buses and even little 'ant' signs as funny billboards. A very wise move! There was no 'just release it on its own, and let's see how it does' mentality. Yet with Suicide Squad, it is heavily dependent on itself due to the reaction to Man of Steel and Batman v Superman.

Based on that, it is amazing how far Suicide Squad has come in only 17 days. With massive critic lambasting and mixed reviews from movie-goers. Yet someone must like it. The film is at $572.7MM worldwide.

They swung far bigger (175m) than Marvel did with their lesser known properties (like Antman, with just a 130m budget), and we'll see if their ending return ratio closer to Marvel's result with AntMan, 4.0)

We'll see. With Ant-Man, Disney heavily promoted it as spinning out from its Marvel Universe, versus Suicide Squad quickly mentioning Superman's death and brief appearances of Batman. Remember the Avengers poster campaign?

New ‘Ant-Man’ Posters Sell Avengers Angle

AsaIayi.png

These ended up all over the place, including in airports, sides of buses and even little 'ant' signs as funny billboards. A very wise move! There was no 'just release it on its own, and let's see how it does' mentality. Yet with Suicide Squad, it is heavily dependent on itself due to the reaction to Man of Steel and Batman v Superman.

Based on that, it is amazing how far Suicide Squad has come in only 17 days. With massive critic lambasting and mixed reviews from movie-goers. Yet someone must like it. The film is at $572.7MM worldwide.

Those are great posters. I didnt see those anywhere,but then again I live in Belgium... :D

I forgot another point I was going to make that DC was again far ballsier than Marvel. Marvel established a universe well before adding in lesser known properties like GotG and AntMan (creating a brand and a built in audience and then taking advantage of them). DC had none of that, adding this movie with unknown IP to a universe with only two movies in it to date.

I actually wonder if there was a marketing plan (or even some more references/ties in the movie itself) that did tie it more closely with the BvS and MoS movies, but after the critical shots those two movies took they decided to limit exposure and let this movie get pushed more independantly.

Again, it certainly paid off. I dont think Antman would have done anywhere close to as well if it hadnt benefited from its proximity to Avengers/Marvel and the connective scenes with Falcon and other marvel characters.

I actually wonder if there was a marketing plan (or even some more references/ties in the movie itself) that did tie it more closely with the BvS and MoS movies, but after the critical shots those two movies took they decided to limit exposure and let this movie get pushed more independantly.

You could be right. After the reaction to Batman v Superman, it could have been one of the motivators for those reshoots is to ensure the film could stand on its own.

This is a classic case of there being nothing better for the millennial crowd to watch in the theatre for 3 weeks in a row. Excellent timing on WB/DC part.

It's not just the millennial crowd that likes this. Two of the people who I saw this with were soccer moms. One had a Master's in Teaching.

A lot of people liked this movie as it has now won three consecutive weeks.

The word of mouth got around that this was a fun and exciting movie like Deadpool.

But he does have a point about there being nothing much else out. There's no way it would've won the weekend with 20 mil if there were other big releases. So yeah, excellent timing on WBs part.

Guardians of the Galaxy had the same good timing. The toughest movie it faced early on was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

love the touting of winning three straight weekends...

Its august. Its competing against and niche movies.

Guardians didnt win its first three weekends (cause it actually went up against another big movie in its 2nd weekend)... think DC would prefer Guardian results or SSquad results?

SSquad's gonna finish in first with about 20.7m which will be about 16% of the total box office. which is pretty underwhelming. It's fine for a 3rd weekend sure, but if it had any real competition it would be down in #2 or 3 at this point...

Even BvS still had 22% of the market when it fell to 2nd place in it's 3rd weekend...

so point is 1st place isnt impressive when there's no competition and you're just squeeking past a week and divided audience (top 6 movies all finish between 11 and 20m this weekend)

Sounds like sour grapes.

Were you this vocal when Guardians of the Galaxy took #1 at the box office with $17M twice and $10M once? (Yes, it was #1 with only $10M.)

that was GOTG's 6th weekend. let me know how SS is doing in it's 6th weekend by comparison. the notion that SS is exhibiting any kind of legs is ludicrous. down 67% 2nd weekend, down 52% third weekend. this is barely better than BvS down 69%, down 54%. BvS had close to the worst superhero movie holds on record. the comps will look better after next weekend when BvS got clubbed down 61% by Jungle Book and SS is going up against Mechanic: Resurrection (which will be fortunate to do $10mm). SS should be #1 the next two weekends.

Who said anything about legs? I was responding to the notion that $20M was a weak 1st place finish by pointing out that GoTG had 3 weaker 1st place finishes. And I don't remember anyone talking about how weak it's competition was those 3 weeks. Instead we were hearing how much of a breakout GoTG was for Marvel. Guess what, Suicide Squad is on par with GoTG with regards to the box office take. Remember, the initial reported budget from Disney was wrong, it wasn't $170M as original reported (and still used on the charts I see all the time) but was $232M:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2015/01/27/disney-reveals-guardians-of-the-galaxy-was-over-budget-at-232-million/#5bda2a5e2f36

So, it is very likely Suicide Squad will outperformed GoTG.

Edited by rjrjr

love the touting of winning three straight weekends...

Its august. Its competing against and niche movies.

Guardians didnt win its first three weekends (cause it actually went up against another big movie in its 2nd weekend)... think DC would prefer Guardian results or SSquad results?

SSquad's gonna finish in first with about 20.7m which will be about 16% of the total box office. which is pretty underwhelming. It's fine for a 3rd weekend sure, but if it had any real competition it would be down in #2 or 3 at this point...

Even BvS still had 22% of the market when it fell to 2nd place in it's 3rd weekend...

so point is 1st place isnt impressive when there's no competition and you're just squeeking past a week and divided audience (top 6 movies all finish between 11 and 20m this weekend)

Sounds like sour grapes.

Were you this vocal when Guardians of the Galaxy took #1 at the box office with $17M twice and $10M once? (Yes, it was #1 with only $10M.)

that was GOTG's 6th weekend. let me know how SS is doing in it's 6th weekend by comparison. the notion that SS is exhibiting any kind of legs is ludicrous. down 67% 2nd weekend, down 52% third weekend. this is barely better than BvS down 69%, down 54%. BvS had close to the worst superhero movie holds on record. the comps will look better after next weekend when BvS got clubbed down 61% by Jungle Book and SS is going up against Mechanic: Resurrection (which will be fortunate to do $10mm). SS should be #1 the next two weekends.

Yeah - Guardians of the Galaxy this ain't.

SS went from an opening weekend record more than 35% higher than GotG to doing much worse starting this weekend:

Suicide Squad:

Friday: $6 million

Saturday: $8.7 million

Sunday: $5.9 million

Guardians:

Friday: $6.9 million

Saturday: $10.4 million

Sunday: $7.8 million

It's falling fast & hard, despite the lack of any serious competition.

And we comic fans should applaud this, so maybe DC stops putting out .

Unless of course you actually liked the movie, in which case your opinion doesn't matter, right?

People are talking with their wallet. And the verdict is in; many enjoyed this movie. It doesn't matter if you think it wasn't a masterpiece of cinema.

Let's see, GoTG had a budget of $232M and finished with $773M for a 3.33 multiple. SS's budget is $175M and is currently at $572M for a 3.26 multiple. Seeing as how SS will finish ahead of GoTG's multiple I think DC would prefer SS's results. Most studios would.

Edited by rjrjr

Let's see, GoTG had a budget of $232M and finished with $773M for a 3.33 multiple. SS's budget is $175M and is currently at $572M for a 3.26 multiple. Seeing as how SS will finish ahead of GoTG's multiple I think DC would prefer SS's results. Most studios would.

how about some actual analysis rather than made up #'s?

http://deadline.com/2015/03/guardians-of-the-galaxy-profit-box-office-2014-1201391217/

how about some actual analysis rather than made up #'s?

http://deadline.com/2015/03/guardians-of-the-galaxy-profit-box-office-2014-1201391217/

So, you post a link to an analysis using an estimated number for the budget and I post a link with the Disney reported number for the budget and your link is a better analysis? (shrug)

"Our experts peg the film’s net budget at $196M–$30M over the original projection–but it was all on the screen."

versus:

"Media giant Walt Disney has revealed that the production cost of last summer’s blockbuster comic book movie Guardians of the Galaxy came to $232.3 million which was “slightly over the agreed budget.”"

Edited by rjrjr

"Media giant Walt Disney has revealed that the production cost of last summer’s blockbuster comic book movie Guardians of the Galaxy came to $232.3 million which was “slightly over the agreed budget.”"

Quit contracting Disney to make up these numbers for you. It's horrible!

:sumo:

:baiting:

I have been reporting the $170MM original budget, and never realized Disney had updated its budget number for Guardians. Are there others like this?

And I just checked Box Office Mojo, and it still reflects $170MM.

:ohnoez:

Edited by Bosco685

Quit contracting Disney to make up these numbers for you. It's horrible!

:sumo:

I have been reporting the $170MM original budget, and never realized Disney had updated its budget number for Guardians. Are there others like this?

If I understand the Box Office Mojo's numbers, they are the original "projected" budget. What the actual budget ends up being is anyone's guess. Sometimes, the truth is revealed, many times, it isn't. I think the GoTG budget was off by enough to be newsworthy hence the article on Forbes.

Who said anything about legs? I was responding to the notion that $20M was a weak 1st place finish by pointing out that GoTG had 3 weaker 1st place finishes. And I don't remember anyone talking about how weak it's competition was those 3 weeks. Instead we were hearing how much of a breakout GoTG was for Marvel. Guess what, Suicide Squad is on par with GoTG with regards to the box office take. Remember, the initial reported budget from Disney was wrong, it wasn't $170M as original reported (and still used on the charts I see all the time) but was $232M:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2015/01/27/disney-reveals-guardians-of-the-galaxy-was-over-budget-at-232-million/#5bda2a5e2f36

So, it is very likely Suicide Squad will outperformed GoTG.

Wow! This is one heck of an educational article, as it goes into how studios keep certain expenses secret. But also how when filming in the UK you have a better chance of tracking down all expense reporting.

This explains why Keith Simanton, managing editor of movie data site IMDb, told Reuters in 2012 that “you never really know what a budget is for any of these films because Hollywood isn’t very open with its numbers.” Movies made in Britain are the big exception.

The attraction of filming in Britain isn’t just a ready supply of skilled staff but also the government’s film tax credit scheme. It entitles movies with expenditure of more than $31.8 million (£20 million) to claim back up to 20% of their production costs.

The costs of movies qualifying for the rebate are consolidated in a single company which makes it easier to work out their entitlement.

Also interesting that it notes studios will call their movies by code names so as to hide their UK reporting from prying eyes.

I'm sure most Hollywood insiders are wondering what the total budget "really" was for Suicide Squad as well.

-J.

Wonder? Not at all. They'll make it up to create the next juicy article for you to post.

But that is a really good Forbes.com article on movie budgets, and how studios hide certain categories of expense. What a challenging industry to track if you were an IRS agent having that responsibility.

:ohnoez:

Just saw the flick last night. Not NEARLY as bad as critics have led me to believe.

Enjoyed it more than BvS.

Didn't have issues with pacing or story. Didn't have issues with characters or main villains.

Just enough Leto and Bats for a movie not supposed to be focusing on those characters.

Not listening to giant piles of critic horse feces anymore. Looks like they got a hardon after BvS, and have a hard time putting it to use.

The fact that people are still seeing it three weeks later and reporting they liked it is worth more then any final ticket numbers.

I'm sure most Hollywood insiders are wondering what the total budget "really" was for Suicide Squad as well.

-J.

digitally creating puffs of black smoke can be expensive

Nah, that is stuff they teach kids in summer camps now. It is amazing how much plug and play there is available now.