• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

If this was a Disney/marvel movie it would have done a billion

and the RT score would've been 3x the WB sweet spot :banana:

And it would have done all that without any changes to what we saw on the screen.

DC will get there. Marvel took time to build up to where it is at now.

Marvel came out of the gate w/ IM- still considered one of the best superhero flicks. WB has laid 3 turds in a row.

Imagine how much they will make when the figure it out considering their 2nd tier property "turd", Suicide Squad, has taken in more worldwide than IM, soon to be domestically as well, and has already topped Winter Soldier domestically by a huge amount. hmlol

Yeah but Suicide Squad will never win the awards that Winter Soldier did. It took the top prize at Cannes, Oscars - Best Picture, Costumes, Orignal Song (the way we were) Golden Globe - Best directors, Best Cameo Robert Redford

If this was a Disney/marvel movie it would have done a billion

and the RT score would've been 3x the WB sweet spot :banana:

And it would have done all that without any changes to what we saw on the screen.

DC will get there. Marvel took time to build up to where it is at now.

Marvel came out of the gate w/ IM- still considered one of the best superhero flicks. WB has laid 3 turds in a row.

Imagine how much they will make when the figure it out considering their 2nd tier property "turd", Suicide Squad, has taken in more worldwide than IM, soon to be domestically as well, and has already topped Winter Soldier domestically by a huge amount. hmlol

Yeah but Suicide Squad will never win the awards that Winter Soldier did. It took the top prize at Cannes, Oscars - Best Picture, Costumes, Orignal Song (the way we were) Golden Globe - Best directors, Best Cameo Robert Redford

there are potential awards in SS's future- Razzies. Although i think BvS could take worst picture and worst supporting actor: Jesse Eisenberg.

SUICIDE SQUAD Director Thanks Fans For Film Crossing $300 Million At Domestic Box Office

After having to defend his film quite a few times, director David Ayer took to Twitter today to thank the fans for Suicide Squad's box office success.

id0HKvT.jpg

Suicide Squad is currently sitting in 8th place with a little over 300 million in the official box office results list of all films released in 2016 so far.

:applause:

No surprise there since they worked together on 'Fury'.

Shia LaBeouf almost played Scott Eastwood’s part in Suicide Squad

In Variety’s latest cover story, LaBeouf revealed that after starring in David Ayer’s war drama Fury, the director approached him for a part in his next project: Suicide Squad. According to LaBeouf, he would’ve played the role that eventually went to Scott Eastwood — although he says the -script he read was radically different than the one that finally hit theaters.

“The character was different initially,” LaBeouf told Variety. “Then Will [smith] came in, and the -script changed a bit. That character and Tom [Hardy’s] character [later played by Joel Kinnaman] got written down to build Will up.”

Although Ayer wanted to cast him, LaBeouf said the studio wasn’t as keen. “I don’t think Warner Bros. wanted me,” he added. “I went in to meet, and they were like, ‘Nah, you’re crazy. You’re a good actor, but not this one.’ It was a big investment for them.”

Your stats about Iron Man are wrong on three counts:

1) Iron Man took in $586 million worldwide. Adjusted for inflation, that's $746 million in today's dollars. Call me when SS reaches that number.

2) Iron Man took in $318 million domestic, which is $384 million in today's dollars. Ditto.

3) Even given those numbers, as Bosco's charts have shown, it's impossible to compare worldwide totals from 8 years ago to those of today, as the international box office has hugely expanded over that time.

True adjustment for inflation would be well less than your numbers. And the expansion of theatres is more than offset by China.

Internationally, Suicide Squad has passed Iron Man and Iron Man II. Adjusted or not. Domestically, it has a shot at both. I don't think it can overtake BvS.

Ultimately, I think between this movie and Deadpool, this bodes very well for DC and Marvel's mid tier characters.

Edited by rjrjr

Suicide Squad is the 8th movie this year to break $300 million. It looks like this came at the expense of the $200 - $300 million movies (of which there are none this year yet.) I suspect Doctor Strange will fall in that range in a few months.

Edited by rjrjr

1) Iron Man took in $586 million worldwide. Adjusted for inflation, that's $746 million in today's dollars. Call me when SS reaches that number.

2) Iron Man took in $318 million domestic, which is $384 million in today's dollars. Ditto.

3) Even given those numbers, as Bosco's charts have shown, it's impossible to compare worldwide totals from 8 years ago to those of today, as the international box office has hugely expanded over that time.

True adjustment for inflation would be well less than your numbers. And the expansion of theatres is more than offset by China.

How so?

Seems to me we've been using BoxOfficeMojo for Suicide Squad's reported numbers.

So I used their numbers for the inflation adjusted numbers as well - that the average movie ticket cost $7.18 in 2008 vs. $9.66 today. (via their handy -- put today's gross in 2008 equivalent dollars bar).

What numbers would you use? The actual U.S. GDP deflator?

Either way, there's zero chance that Suicide Squad reaches the equivalent of Iron Man's domestic gross.

Ditto goes for the vastly different international landscape today.

Iron Man was a far bigger relative hit (and more profitable for the studio) in 2008 than Suicide Squad is today.

For instance, was the second biggest earner of 2008; Suicide Squad won't even make the top 5 for this year, and it's only September.

The movie's a hit, but don't pretend it's on the same level as Iron Man. That's just not true.

Internationally, Suicide Squad has passed Iron Man and Iron Man II. Adjusted or not. Domestically, it has a shot at both. I don't think it can overtake BvS.

Ultimately, I think between this movie and Deadpool, this bodes very well for DC and Marvel's mid tier characters.

I think we shouldn't compare

Deadpool and Harley Quinn to mid-tier characters.

They have both dominated the comic scene for awhile now like Walking Dead.

I would be surprised if Doctor Strange or Aquaman pulls in Deadpool or Suicide Squad numbers.

When we are going to talk about mid-tier characters we should use Ant-Man as the benchmark.

How so?

Seems to me we've been using BoxOfficeMojo for Suicide Squad's reported numbers.

So I used their numbers for the inflation adjusted numbers as well - that the average movie ticket cost $7.18 in 2008 vs. $9.66 today. (via their handy -- put today's gross in 2008 equivalent dollars bar).

What numbers would you use? The actual U.S. GDP deflator?

Either way, there's zero chance that Suicide Squad reaches the equivalent of Iron Man's domestic gross.

Ditto goes for the vastly different international landscape today.

Iron Man was a far bigger relative hit (and more profitable for the studio) in 2008 than Suicide Squad is today.

For instance, was the second biggest earner of 2008; Suicide Squad won't even make the top 5 for this year, and it's only September.

The movie's a hit, but don't pretend it's on the same level as Iron Man. That's just not true.

I do not use Box Office Mojo's inflation USD because that site loads in additional estimates on top of the time-based adjustment such as 'what if a % of theaters offered 3-D or IMAX at that time'. So it's an assumption added upon an assumption what 'like USD' would be.

1) The average movie wasn't being developed to maximize the 3-D experience prior to 2009. So how do we know what the moviegoer reaction would have been before it was common practice?

2) The average movie wasn't being developed to maximize the IMAX experience prior to 2002. So how do we know what the moviegoer reaction would have been before it was common practice?

Instead, use an inflation calculator that maintains the latest US government CPI data. Which gets updated monthly. But I only perform this analysis at the beginning of the year.

Bosco offers a great answer here. My comment earlier was reflecting on the true definition of inflation (underlying purchasing power of goods) on a relative basis. Because on an absolute basis (ticket prices), we don't reflect the measure of how much people really want to spend their discretionary income on the item (in this case, a movie).

Normally, I wouldn't nitpick something like this, but when combined with no china numbers being included, it's seemed that Suicide Squad wasn't gettin a fair shake. Moreover, the economic meltdown of 2009ish reduced relative wealth and wage growth (incomes went down not up) and so a more accurate real inflation measure over the 6 years would be something like 20% (maybe less).

Not going to get into the calculation (have to roll up weighted average by country and compare to the receipts for the movies), but was merely saying the inflation measure is a bit oversimplified.

And finally, no, I'm not comparing suicide squad to iron man at all. I think iron man is the more impressive movie franchise. BUT, that makes my point even more glaring - that suicide squad has drawn this kind of crowd notwithstanding it's relatively unknown status.

Cheers

Jd

And finally, no, I'm not comparing suicide squad to iron man at all. I think iron man is the more impressive movie franchise. BUT, that makes my point even more glaring - that suicide squad has drawn this kind of crowd notwithstanding it's relatively unknown status.

Cheers

Jd

It's important to note that while Iron Man is in contention for "most recognizable Marvel property" in 2016, this was certainly not the case in 2008 before he got a movie. Iron Man/Tony Stark was far from a household name in 2007.

An interesting summary of the weekend results, including how much higher overall it was compared to 2015's Labor Day.

DEADLINE: Final Labor Day Box Office Summary

Overall, ComScore reports that the four-day Labor Day weekend is coming in at $126M, +8% over last year’s holiday. This brings the summer period from May 6-September 5 to $4.482B, which on a first weekend in May-through-Labor Day comparison is the third-best summer of all-time, behind last year’s $4.484B. Summer 2015 had the advantage of being one week longer than this year’s season.

As we observed Friday, Warner Bros’ Suicide Squad is finally crossing $300.1M in its fifth weekend at the box office. Despite all the dinging it’s received for dropping 67% in its second weekend, and possessing Batman V. Superman tendencies, the DC villain film is chiefly responsible for driving August to its second $1B haul, and jumping Warner Bros up 40% over last summer with a four-month take of $850M. Suicide Squad remains ahead of August’s previous top-grossing title Disney/Marvel’s Guardians Of The Galaxy by 7%. That film ended its run at $333M.

Bosco offers a great answer here. My comment earlier was reflecting on the true definition of inflation (underlying purchasing power of goods) on a relative basis. Because on an absolute basis (ticket prices), we don't reflect the measure of how much people really want to spend their discretionary income on the item (in this case, a movie).

At the risk of beating a dead horse, my response to both you & Bosco on the better inflation numbers is this:

Regardless of the true consumer inflation rate, we _can_ actually approximate the measure of how much people want to spend their discretionary income on a movie.

Here's how:

- Iron Man was one of only 3 films released in 2008 to break $300 million domestic.

- It was the 26th movie _ever_ to hit that number.

- Since then, the number of films to break $300 million domestic has more than doubled, to 64.

- 15 of those 64 (i.e., nearly 25%) have been released just last year or this. And (as rjrjr noted), Suicide Squad is the _8th_ film to break that threshold this year alone (avg. 1 per month).

- So clearly hitting $300 million is now becoming commonplace for blockbusters, whereas it was still a rarity back in 2008.

- We've gone from 3 films a year in 2008 and 2009 to (now) 7-8 films a year (2015-2016).

So...while Iron Man's doing so in 2008 wasn't unique, it was a hell of a lot rarer and thus, far more successful, than Suicide Squad's being the 8th film to do so in just 8 months.

Suicide Squad is now only $486K from topping Man of Steel's adjusted USD worldwide total, and $21.1MM from reaching $700MM worldwide.

hRbhoEB.png

9qYlD34.png

Remaining box office releases:

Japan: 10 September 2016

Japan could add substantially to the overall worldwide total based on modern comic book movie results.

• Guardians of the Galaxy - $9.5MM
  • X-Men: Days of Future Past - $10MM
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier - $6.6MM
  • Amazing Spider-Man 2, The - $30.3MM
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron - $26.4MM
  • Ant-Man - $9.7MM
  • Fantastic Four - $2.5MM
  • Deadpool - $18.9MM
  • Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - $16.5MM
  • Captain America: Civil War - $24.4MM
  • X-Men: Apocalypse - $7.4MM

At the risk of beating a dead horse, my response to both you & Bosco

on the better inflation numbers is this:

Regardless of the true consumer inflation rate, we _can_ actually approximate the measure of how much people want to spend their discretionary income on a movie.

Here's how:

- Iron Man was one of only 3 films released in 2008 to break $300 million domestic.

- It was the 26th movie _ever_ to hit that number.

- Since then, the number of films to break $300 million domestic has more than doubled, to 64.

- 15 of those 64 (i.e., nearly 25%) have been released just last year or this. And (as rjrjr noted), Suicide Squad is the _8th_ film to break that threshold this year alone (avg. 1 per month).

- So clearly hitting $300 million is now becoming commonplace for blockbusters, whereas it was still a rarity back in 2008.

- We've gone from 3 films a year in 2008 and 2009 to (now) 7-8 films a year (2015-2016).

So...while Iron Man's doing so in 2008 wasn't unique, it was a hell of a lot rarer and thus, far more successful, than Suicide Squad's being the 8th film to do so in just 8 months.

Like that risk has ever stopped you before?

(:

:baiting:

How CW's ARROW Helped Pave The Way To SUICIDE SQUAD

Sb2Ytjd.jpg

Along with appearing in Smallville Season 10, the Squad was introduced in the second half of Arrow Season 2, and it looked like the team was being prepped to have a recurring presence on the Emerald Archer's show. That didn't end up happening, and now we've learned that the main reason the Suicide Squad was added to Arrow in the first place was to test how they would fare on the big screen.

When asked whether DC Comics president Geoff Johns has ever approached him about "trying out a character" on TV to see how they would to in the movies, Arrow executive producer Greg Berlanti told Vulture that including the Suicide Squad in Arrow Season 2 was an example of such a request. He explained:

"Sometimes - or he has other executives mention that to us. They said to us a year and a half before they started developing Suicide Squad, 'Will you guys put [a version of] the Suicide Squad in your show? Because we want to have it as a film at some point."

e4HFESm.jpg

After its members and leadership appeared in earlier episodes, Arrow's Suicide Squad officially formed in the aptly-named episode "Suicide Squad" in March 2014. Seven months later, DC announced its initial slate of DC Extended Universe movies, with Suicide Squad being among them.