• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

Bosco offers a great answer here. My comment earlier was reflecting on the true definition of inflation (underlying purchasing power of goods) on a relative basis. Because on an absolute basis (ticket prices), we don't reflect the measure of how much people really want to spend their discretionary income on the item (in this case, a movie).

At the risk of beating a dead horse, my response to both you & Bosco on the better inflation numbers is this:

Regardless of the true consumer inflation rate, we _can_ actually approximate the measure of how much people want to spend their discretionary income on a movie.

Here's how:

- Iron Man was one of only 3 films released in 2008 to break $300 million domestic.

- It was the 26th movie _ever_ to hit that number.

- Since then, the number of films to break $300 million domestic has more than doubled, to 64.

- 15 of those 64 (i.e., nearly 25%) have been released just last year or this. And (as rjrjr noted), Suicide Squad is the _8th_ film to break that threshold this year alone (avg. 1 per month).

- So clearly hitting $300 million is now becoming commonplace for blockbusters, whereas it was still a rarity back in 2008.

- We've gone from 3 films a year in 2008 and 2009 to (now) 7-8 films a year (2015-2016).

So...while Iron Man's doing so in 2008 wasn't unique, it was a hell of a lot rarer and thus, far more successful, than Suicide Squad's being the 8th film to do so in just 8 months.

I appreciate that logic, though It's a bit of a stretch in my view. What if Suicide squad just happened to be the first film (it came out in 2008 and Iron Man came out in 2016.

Anyhow, I was never arguing suicide squad being a more compelling franchise than Iron Man. Quite the opposite - I'm pleasantly surprised at its success notwithstanding the relatively unknown nature of the characters and poor reviews. This furthers the cause of the DCEU movies - Wonder Woman and JLA in particular!

JD

Bosco offers a great answer here. My comment earlier was reflecting on the true definition of inflation (underlying purchasing power of goods) on a relative basis. Because on an absolute basis (ticket prices), we don't reflect the measure of how much people really want to spend their discretionary income on the item (in this case, a movie).

At the risk of beating a dead horse, my response to both you & Bosco on the better inflation numbers is this:

Regardless of the true consumer inflation rate, we _can_ actually approximate the measure of how much people want to spend their discretionary income on a movie.

Here's how:

- Iron Man was one of only 3 films released in 2008 to break $300 million domestic.

- Since then, the number of films to break $300 million domestic has more than doubled, to 64.

- 15 of those 64 (i.e., nearly 25%) have been released just last year or this. And (as rjrjr noted), Suicide Squad is the _8th_ film to break that threshold this year alone (avg. 1 per month).

- So clearly hitting $300 million is now becoming commonplace for blockbusters, whereas it was still a rarity back in 2008.

- We've gone from 3 films a year in 2008 and 2009 to (now) 7-8 films a year (2015-2016).

So...while Iron Man's doing so in 2008 wasn't unique, it was a hell of a lot rarer and thus, far more successful, than Suicide Squad's being the 8th film to do so in just 8 months.

Don't forget to factor in the fact that Suicide Squad did so while being a completely terrible movie. That's got to say something.

Here's how:

Don't forget to factor in the fact that Suicide Squad did so while being a completely terrible movie. That's got to say something.

I really don't think there is any comparison between Iron Man and Suicide Squad. At all.

Although prior to 2008 the character Iron Man was not so commonly known, he wasn't some hidden entity either. If you go back to many of the Marvel merchandising products from the 60's and 70's, Iron Man is one of the primary characters present. And let's not forget things like the 1960's cartoons where Marvel made sure to include his episodes as a primary character.

Iron Man has been more 'B List' than folks realize compared to a Guardians of the Galaxy or Suicide Squad that were much further down the list. Heck, he was popular enough for a band to make a song about him back in the 1970's (no, not Black Sabbath which had nothing to do with Marvel's character - but what's the first thing that comes to mind? ).

Now as far as Suicide Squad being a terrible movie - that's a personal judgment. For me, it wasn't great. But it sure was entertaining. Especially seeing all these characters playing off of one another. And finally seeing Amanda Waller played like the tigress she is in the comic books versus the sideline character we saw in the Green Lantern movie.

Suicide Squad was not terrible. The editing was not the best, and the storyline could have benefited from at least a better primary villain or two (since they are mostly villains to begin with anyway other than Rick Flagg and Katana). But it was worth the watch, and to me a re-watch. Though I wouldn't mind seeing a few of those different cuts David Ayer has revealed.

Good point about Iron Man.

He (and Captain America) were definite B-list comic characters before the movies (vs. the A-list of Batman, Wolverine, X-Men, and Spider-Man).

Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy and Suicide Squad for definite C-list.

Heck, I don't even know many comic collectors who were fans of Guardians of the Galaxy or Suicide Squad. While a few folks I know had a nostalgic spot for Silvestri's early 90s run on Guardians and I loved the first few issues of Ostrander's Suicide Squad, no one actively collected these characters.

To the point that, pre movies, I knew far more fans of New Warriors and Darkhawk, than either of the above.

Ditto - Deathstroke was popular (due largely to his 90s solo series), whereas Deadshot was C-list.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, Bosco, which is essentially that Iron Man enjoyed a healthy degree of popularity for a comic book hero in the 60's and 70's. However, you don't mention anything about him from the 80's anywhere up to about the mid 2000's. He was never really absent, but he was definitely more of a background character than he was either before or after this era. Certainly not a household name during this time.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, Bosco, which is essentially that Iron Man enjoyed a healthy degree of popularity for a comic book hero in the 60's and 70's. However, you don't mention anything about him from the 80's anywhere up to about the mid 2000's. He was never really absent, but he was definitely more of a background character than he was either before or after this era. Certainly not a household name during this time.

I have always been more a Captain America, Spider-Man and X-Men fan more than any of the other Marvel titles. So I am not deeply versed in Iron Man lore and cultural impact. But it always felt like he was there, as he would pop up in key stories. Especially when there were those large crossover stories.

But I thought Bob Layton and David Michelinie put Iron Man/Tony Stark back on the map in the 80's. Especially the Armor Wars story and the specialized armor approach which then was used in the Iron Man movies. Just checking now, it turns out they were the creators that came up with 'Demon In A Bottle' in 1979 which brought plenty of attention to the character. Especially making him more realistic versus this unbeatable, unflawed individual some heroes can come across as.

Marvel.com seems to help us out here with all the action and intrigue that was Tony Stark's life in the 80's.

IRON MAN ERAS: THE 80'S

If the 70's helped define Tony Stark-a man dealing with the aftermath of his choices in life and learning how to deal with a near-fatal heart problem-the 80's would reinvent that man for a new generation. The Iron Man of the 80's was much more focused on intrigue and suspense than previous decades. In a decade where corporate espionage and hostile takeovers were the order of the day, it only made sense. As a result, Tony was forced to rely more on his wits and technological prowess than ever before. The 80's would also be the catalyst for many of the elements to be seen in this summer's much anticipated "Iron Man" movie, opening on May 2.

And finally, no, I'm not comparing suicide squad to iron man at all. I think iron man is the more impressive movie franchise. BUT, that makes my point even more glaring - that suicide squad has drawn this kind of crowd notwithstanding it's relatively unknown status.

Cheers

Jd

It's important to note that while Iron Man is in contention for "most recognizable Marvel property" in 2016, this was certainly not the case in 2008 before he got a movie. Iron Man/Tony Stark was far from a household name in 2007.

Iron Man was one of the characters in the 1960s Marvel cartoons that got repeated well into the 80s and then there was the Iron Man action hour cartoons in the 90s, so, actually, generations of couch TV watching kids who may have never read a comic were rpobably familiar with Iron Man and may have dragged their kids to the movie. And, of course, Downey Jr. was perfectly cast for it, so the wives of us dorks were willing to go too.

IM paved the way for the MCU, Marvel rode that thoroughbred to box office billions and paved the way for utter like SS to rake in $725MM. if SS had been released in 2008 it would have disappeared as quickly as that 'let's pretend it never happened' GL disaster and wouldn't have done $200MM WW.

IM paved the way for the MCU, Marvel rode that thoroughbred to box office billions and paved the way for utter like SS to rake in $725MM. if SS had been released in 2008 it would have disappeared as quickly as that 'let's pretend it never happened' GL disaster and wouldn't have done $200MM WW.

This is how I feel. Think Jonah Hex

Suicide Squad has now passed up Man of Steel at the domestic and worldwide adjusted USD total.

24qP13A.png

q0EB7Gc.png

Remaining box office releases:

Japan: 10 September 2016

We'll see what happens this week with the Japanese box office opening.

I think the cartoon he had in the 1990s would have helped. I know the X-Men cartoon gave them a huge boost in popularity with many X-Men fans coming on board because of the cartoon.

I think the cartoon he had in the 1990s would have helped. I know the X-Men cartoon gave them a huge boost in popularity with many X-Men fans coming on board because of the cartoon.

:gossip: And Fox Studio, which then bought the rights to the live X-Men characters based on the success of the cartoons. Never underestimate those crazy cartoons.

:whee:

:gossip: And Fox Studio, which then bought the rights to the live X-Men characters based on the success of the cartoons. Never underestimate those crazy cartoons.

I can still hear the X-Men theme song in my head...

I can still hear the X-Men theme song in my head...

Exactly!

And now I want to go back and buy them all to rewatch.

:ohnoez:

Prediction for this weekend.

SULLY And WHEN THE BOUGH BREAKS Set To Kick Off Fall 2016

Sully (3,525 theaters) - $31.0 M

When the Bough Breaks (2,246 theaters) - $16.0 M

Don't Breathe (3,384 theaters) - $8.0 M

Suicide Squad (3,103 theaters) - $5.1 M

The Wild Life (2,493 theaters) - $4.6 M

Kubo and the Two Strings (2,335 theaters) - $4.1 M

If it does $5MM domestic and another $15MM international (including the Japanese opening weekend), then you have your $700MM worldwide.

And depending on Thursday's numbers, that target gets that much closer to reality.

5 Actors Who Almost Starred in ‘Suicide Squad’

1. Shia LaBeouf

Shia LaBeouf recently revealed that he was once considered for a part in the DC comics movie. As the actor told Variety, Director David Ayer approached him back in 2014 to play the role that eventually went to Scott Eastwood.

2. Tom Hardy

Hardy was initially set to play the part of Rick Flag, the elite soldier who serves as leader of the Suicide Squad. But the actor was forced to drop the role in 2015, after his movie, The Revenant, took longer to film than expected. The extended production schedule overlapped with the planned start date for Suicide Squad and Hardy had to exit the project. Joel Kinnaman eventually took over the role as Flag.

3. Ryan Gosling

In 2014, The Hollywood Reporter revealed that Gosling was being sought to take on a major role in Suicide Squad. The actor was reportedly being pursued to play the part of the Joker. Though the studio was apparently eager on having him in the film, Gosling was reluctant to sign a multi-movie contract and ended up passing on the project.

4. Oprah Winfrey

In 2014, it was revealed that Warner Bros. was still looking to fill the role of Amanda Waller, the tough and sometimes evil-minded government agent responsible for formulating and leading the squad. According to Variety, Oprah Winfrey was initially the studio’s top choice for the part.

5. Jake Gyllenhaal

After Hardy dropped out of the role of Rick Flag, Warner Bros. and Ayer reportedly began courting Jake Gyllenhaal to take over the part. The actor was enjoying a career high at the time, following his critically appraised and Golden Globe-nominated starring turn in Nightcrawler.

As solid an actress as she is, I just can't see Oprah Winfrey pulling up Amanda Waller the way she needed to be portrayed.

Jake Gyllenhaal would have been interesting.

Since this week students were returning to school and people were coming back from vacation, three of the four new releases skipped Thursday night (Sully had a Thursday release).

GXCVny2.png

Even with it being a slow week, Suicide Squad added $445K to it's domestic total. So it needs to add $20.14MM to break $700MM worldwide.

PSjVgfZ.png

5KRgM9P.png

Remaining box office releases:

Japan: 10 September 2016