• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

Give me your honest answer here.

If both NM 98 and TMNT #1 again had the same print runs and were worth 1k in CGC 9.8. If I owned 10 copies of each book and I tried to sell them side by side starting one year from now. Which would sell faster in your opinion and why.

Why not apply the same logic to AF 15, or TEC 27, Action 1...? What about Hulk 1 or FF 1?

It is a ridiculous speculative question whose answer will mirror the preferences stated before.

We get it, you sell a lot of NM98s. Congrats! What does that have to do with the value of it long-term relative to the value of TMNT 1 long-term?

You provide no other context other than, "I'm special because I sell comics and say so" and "lots of people are buying NM98 right now."

Honestly, your points are very arrogant and self-serving.

Calling the kettle black are yea. :baiting:

Maybe. However, I am not the one going around touting that I own a comic shop and therefore my word is law on comics.

:shrug:

I also have no stake in the resale value of any of these comics while you do. If anything you stating that you sell a ton of NM 98 and then vehemently arguing that NM 98 is the best book to buy is more than a little self-serving. It even boarders on unethical.

Please never compare me to a comic book store owner again. :tonofbricks:

People should invest in what they believe in right? Of course yes.

That makes no sense if you ask someone what to buy and they tell you that is unethical. :ohnoez:

I can't keep NM 98's in stock that is the reality as of 3/1/16. So by telling you this that boarders on unethical? No one would agree with that. Come on dude......

If you were a collector and came to me and had 5k to spend and you were either going to buy my NM 98 CGC 9.8 for $800 or my TMNT #1 CGC 9.4 for 5k I would honestly tell you buy the NM #98.

I understand we don't live in a what if reality, but all things being equal NM #98 right now is most important copper age book. (even though I kinda consider it a Modern book).

I can't have these conservation with you or anyone going forward if you be honest and just admit the main reason TMNT #1 is worth what it is is because of the print run. Its a good book that benefit from a low print run same as Walking dead #1. Why is that not logical to people?

(yes I am trying to keep this friendly and I do realize you love TMNT's but also realize I have no love for Deadpool or TMNT just giving my honest opinion of what I see.)

Because the millions of fans all over the world mean something to the value of TMNT 1.

Print run IS important, but it is not the only factor.

I think some of you really over estimate the overall world popularity of TMNT.

Transformers is more popular but you don't see #1 selling for 5k because of the print run.

Mix a black cover on cheaper paper with a low-print run with marketable characters of course it will make for a valuable book. If it had the same print run as NM 98 it would be selling at the same levels or a tad less.

I am not insulting the book.....relax. lol

I don't see anyone thinking you're "insulting" the book, or being "defensive." You're making some entirely unsubstantiated claims, and people are rightly refuting those claims, and you're insulting THEM by saying they're "being defensive" just by correcting your misinformation.

meh

Low Print is the main reason TMNT #1 is worth it's GPA values.

So, why isn't Amazing Man #26, by all accounts one of the rarest Golden Age books that still exists, worth more than Action Comics #1? Why isn't Suspense Comics #3, another prime rarity, worth more than Detective Comics #27?

No, the main reason TMNT #1 is worth its GPA values is because the Turtles are tremendously popular. It's supply AND demand. There are many comics that are just as rare, and rarer, than Turtles #1, but aren't worth $50.

"I'm just here so I won't get fined."

Fair enough, I just thought it was a little much for what I was assuming was a little friendly discussion.

No, your instincts are correct, rfoiii is one of the biggest assss-holes on this board. And unlike NWO, rfoiii posts anonymously because he is a coward. Rfoiii adds nothing to this board, absolutely zero. All mouth, no spine.

Yeah, you gotta give SOT (NWO) credit...at least he's open about who and what he is. He may be a little off-kilter much of the time, but he's certainly an open book about it.

;)

Yup, his picture with the Purple-Clad one is unbelievable :thumbsup: "Comics are a commodity, thank god!" lol

And I love when rfoiii says "you don't know me, you don't know my experience, etc". You're right, we don't know you rfoiii, you're too much of a pussy to give us that info.

Yeah, you gotta love the folks to whom it's about nothing but the $$$.

Or, well, maybe not. ;)

He really loves my old quote from almost 10 years ago.

I think he may even have it tattooed on his arm. hm

Yes, but do you still believe in and live by that quote...?

hm

What comic book dealer shouldn't believe that?

If both NM 98 and TMNT #1 again had the same print runs and were worth 1k in CGC 9.8. If I owned 10 copies of each book and I tried to sell them side by side starting one year from now. Which would sell faster in your opinion and why.

Why not apply the same logic to AF 15, or TEC 27, Action 1...? What about Hulk 1 or FF 1?

It is a ridiculous speculative question whose answer will mirror the preferences stated before.

We get it, you sell a lot of NM98s. Congrats! What does that have to do with the value of it long-term relative to the value of TMNT 1 long-term?

You provide no other context other than, "I'm special because I sell comics and say so" and "lots of people are buying NM98 right now."

Agreed.

That about sums it up.

hm

All of them.

Comic books are a unique artform, a combination of words and pictures...sequential art...that tell a story that words or pictures alone cannot convey.

Reducing them to "stocks" robs them of that uniqueness. It is an unfortunate side effect that comic books have become "worth money", but in this madness cycle we're in now, the speculators and money-changers are out in full force, and once again it's about little more than "what is it worth????"

A quick perusal of all the forums will show that the main threads are all about value.

Comic book dealers should be making converts, encouraging buyers to become readers. After all, that's what happened to me. I got into comics in 1989-1990 to make money. Fortunately, I fell in love with the artform instead.

I feel quite sad for people who own comics and have never red one.

:(

Agreed.

That about sums it up.

None of my posts are self serving so lets clear that garbage up right now.

I call it I see it. I never BS people when it comes to selling my books or anyones else's.

Take that Saga #1 RRP variant you have or want to own since I am assuming you enjoy Saga.

I have sold 4-6 copies of that book before. The one buyer asked me do I think this is a good book and as he was giving me the money I said honestly no but if it is something you like than who am I to judge. He then asked me to be brutally honest when he asked would it be better to buy this CGC 9.8 or one of your Bat Adv 12 CGC 9.8's. I said probably the Bat 12 which at the time was trading lower in dollar value. Just because I own a book doesn't mean I push it on people.

Agreed.

That about sums it up.

I call it I see it. I never BS people when it comes to selling my books or anyones else's.

Take that Saga #1 RRP variant you have or want to own since I am assuming you enjoy Saga.

I have sold 4-6 copies of that book before. The one buyer asked me do I think this is a good book and as he was giving me the money I said honestly no but if it is something you like than who am I to judge. He then asked me to be brutally honest when he asked would it be better to buy this CGC 9.8 or one of your Bat Adv 12 CGC 9.8's. I said probably the Bat 12 which at the time was trading lower in dollar value. Just because I own a book doesn't mean I push it on people.

I think the real question then, is how do you make that evaluation? Just based off of the business encounters you have? I feel like a broken record, but that's classic confirmation bias - that's sort of what this thread comes down to once we stop talking about box office numbers, issues sold new off the rack, and CGC census data.

hm

All of them.

Comic books are a unique artform, a combination of words and pictures...sequential art...that tell a story that words or pictures alone cannot convey.

Reducing them to "stocks" robs them of that uniqueness. It is an unfortunate side effect that comic books have become "worth money", but in this madness cycle we're in now, the speculators and money-changers are out in full force, and once again it's about little more than "what is it worth????"

A quick perusal of all the forums will show that the main threads are all about value.

Comic book dealers should be making converts, encouraging buyers to become readers. After all, that's what happened to me. I got into comics in 1989-1990 to make money. Fortunately, I fell in love with the artform instead.

I feel quite sad for people who own comics and have never red one.

:(

You buy and sell comics right? Send books to CGC? Use GPA?

How are you different? You have confused me.

That is why comics are a commodity.

Yes it is a fun platform but artists, writers, publishers, and dealers arent just here for their health.

You do know I have a small collection right?

You assume commodity as negative as opposed to me where I see it as fun and exciting in a moral manner. I love what I do. Comic book selling beats most jobs IMO.

Agreed.

That about sums it up.

My apologies NWO for not being clear. I was not in agreement with the self serving remark. I would not say that unless it was very clear and I have no reason to believe that is your mission here. You have books to sell, I have no issue with that. NM 98 is an incredibly liquid book right now so you will do well and have no reason to try and pump that book. I have no issues with the book. It's a great book and I'm sure it will do well for quite a while. I just don't see it as going up in value much further, if at all and I just favor TMNT over the two side by side.

I do love the series Saga but even myself do no longer own a RRP. I love the artwork on the cover so use it as my avatar. That's all. I can't say if it's a wise investment or not. The series does have a very large following but it is very expensive for such a recent book IMO, even with the print run of 500. I as well would have chose the BA #12 as a recommendation when it was selling for RRP prices.

Agreed.

That about sums it up.

I think the real question then, is how do you make that evaluation? Just based off of the business encounters you have? I feel like a broken record, but that's classic confirmation bias - that's sort of what this thread comes down to once we stop talking about box office numbers, issues sold new off the rack, and CGC census data.

Of course some of us are just faceless internet posters to the average poster but those that know me trust or understand where I am generally coming from.

There are many boardies here who are either full time dealers or do this on the side. So when someone sets up at shows all over the country, constantly buy/sells, grade properly, and has a good overall market rationale I think yes they are an worth listening to.

No one has to take my advice, but since 2009 when I quit my terrible corporate "yes man" job and took on comics full time my life has been stress free. I must know something.

Agreed.

That about sums it up.

My apologies NWO for not being clear. I was not in agreement with the self serving remark. I would not say that unless it was very clear and I have no reason to believe that is your mission here. You have books to sell, I have no issue with that. NM 98 is an incredibly liquid book right now so you will do well and have no reason to try and pump that book. I have no issues with the book. It's a great book and I'm sure it will do well for quite a while. I just don't see it as going up in value much further, if at all and I just favor TMNT over the two side by side.

I do love the series Saga but even myself do no longer own a RRP. I love the artwork on the cover so use it as my avatar. That's all. I can't say if it's a wise investment or not. The series does have a very large following but it is very expensive for such a recent book IMO, even with the print run of 500. I as well would have chose the BA #12 as a recommendation when it was selling for RRP prices.

I agree with you I dont see NM 98 going up much in the future, maybe $950-1k in CGC 9.8 but with the print run high and many new 98's being graded daily I would agree with you.

My stance is the book isn't going down, that is all. Book is now a blue chip like ASM 300.

Agreed.

That about sums it up.

Of course some of us are just faceless internet posters to the average poster but those that know me trust or understand where I am generally coming from.

There are many boardies here who are either full time dealers or do this on the side. So when someone sets up at shows all over the country, constantly buy/sells, grade properly, and has a good overall market rationale I think yes they are an worth listening to.

No one has to take my advice, but since 2009 when I quit my terrible corporate "yes man" job and took on comics full time my life has been stress free. I must know something.

I have no history here, I don't know what half of you did to the other half of you off :o

I asked a legitimate question - how do you evaluate? Do you come from a content / story / art perspective or just watch what the crowd is scooping up on a day by day basis at the shows?

I think you've got some good points - overall I think I disagree with you on the "main" issue of this thread, and I think you're way off base with the Reynolds / RDJ thing - and I certainly have little reason to completely dismiss what you say, just like I have little reason to dismiss what anyone else is saying in this thread.

Agreed.

That about sums it up.

In fairness, most of them do not engage in the "this book or that book" discussion to the levels you do. Particularly on books that they sell as frequently as you clearly do.

I am glad you are happy with your choice and it is working for you.