• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Teen Titans
3 3

1,128 posts in this topic

60 is the first "Teen Titans" as named, but DC, readers, and most recognizes 54 as the first Teen Titans. This is like the 180 and 181 debate; sort of. It's also like meeting someone for the first time and not getting their until the second time you meet them. When you finally get their name you can't claim it was the first time you've met them.

I hope that made sense. I'm loaded with Benadryl. Kids and Daycares seem to be a new adventure every week. At this point I can do the backstroke in Ebola.

60 is the first "Teen Titans" as named, but DC, readers, and most recognizes 54 as the first Teen Titans. This is like the 180 and 181 debate; sort of. It's also like meeting someone for the first time and not getting their until the second time you meet them. When you finally get their name you can't claim it was the first time you've met them.

I hope that made sense. I'm loaded with Benadryl. Kids and Daycares seem to be a new adventure every week. At this point I can do the backstroke in Ebola.

It's all good, brother. I'm going to try and drop this thread. In an era of covers, grades and labels, sometimes we can overlook what's inside. We can agree to disagree and go about it respectfully. Unless I'm provoked, I will bow out of this discussion and wish you gentlemen well.

Happy Holidays,

Blazincomics

Meeting someone but not catching their name is an awesome analogy!

Too bad it won't change anything Though.b hearts and minds are made up.

Only for individuals. A team doesn't exist until it's officially formed. You still exist even if I don't know your name.

Meeting someone but not catching their name is an awesome analogy!

Too bad it won't change anything Though.b hearts and minds are made up.

Only for individuals. A team doesn't exist until it's officially formed. You still exist even if I don't know your name.

Or does he....?

hm

I'm 96.876953% sure this isn't the first appearance of anything.

50246-so-youre-saying-theres-a-chanc-toCD.jpeg

I cannot make a better argument than the one which lies between the covers, Good Sir.

Two different stories, no? The first one is from B&B 60, the first appearance of the Teen Titans, right? The second one is from B&B 54, in which no group forms and the words "Teen Titans" do not appear.

Correct. The splash page of 54 also refers to the story as a team up. No mention of the Teen Titans until 60. Intellectual property=1st appearance, at least for my money. I've continued to buy these on the cheap, but I also have a FN 54 I bought as part of a collection. When it is listed it will be properly referenced as the Teen Titans origin/prototype. A first appearance, as we have previously discussed, is a stretch.

If you played with a group of kids when you were a kid...

Played all kinds of games and the kids there changed a bit but more or less the same came often

Then on the 19th September you sit down and say "guys, we play so well together - I think we should form the Incredible Demons!" The other cheer and from that day forth those exact four play together as the incredible demons...

When did the Incredible Demons come to be? Was it 19th September... or do you want to count that they knew each other beforehand?

Played all kinds of games and the kids there changed a bit but more or less the same came often

Then on the 19th September you sit down and say "guys, we play so well together - I think we should form the Incredible Demons!" The other cheer and from that day forth those exact four play together as the incredible demons...

When did the Incredible Demons come to be? Was it 19th September... or do you want to count that they knew each other beforehand?

The day we invite a girl to the group...

It definitely counts...just not as the first appearance of the Incredible Demons. Prototype, sure. Flip your example on its head. The kids play together all their lives...and never say "We should form the Incredible Demons!" In that scenario, did The Incredible Demons ever appear? If B&B60 and all subsequent Teen Titans appearances were never published, no one would look back at B&B 54 as the first and only appearance of a brand-new super-team that sadly never appeared again.

Also, the analogy doesn't work in the sense that forming a team requires a structural and definitional change from just working together. When you form a team, you typically have all or some of the following: Name, clubhouse, leader, rules, formal membership, etc. None of those things were present in B&B 54. If a group of kids play together all their lives and them say, "We should form the Incredible Demons and our headquarters will be in Jake's basement and we'll have a secret code and Timmy will be the first leader," that's much more analogous, I think, to team formation.

Anyone who wants to buy and own B&B 54 should do so. I do! They should just know that they're buying and owning a comic in which no one forms a superteam or says the words "Teen Titans." For that, you want yourself a 60.

Incredible Demons Assemble!

Somebody really needs to search the trademark on the Teen Titans. I have a funny feeling therein lies the answer to the question I asked at the beginning of this thread. If the copyright references the 54, I will crawl back to the hole from whence I came, stack of 60's in hand.

We all know that isn't going to be the case though. Even Yoddler, Shill City Duck. All the non-believers.

Brave and the Bold 60 is the first appearance of the Teen Titans. There will be no doubt.