• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Teen Titans
3 3

1,128 posts in this topic

Grand Comics Database just posted this on FB re 1st appearance. Interesting to see that it reflects more of a swing from past conventional wisdom than I expected.

50 Years Ago This Month: The Teen Titans make their first official appearance in The Brave and the Bold #60 (http://www.comics.org/issue/19203/), cover by Nick Cardy!

The basis for the creation of the Teen Titans began in The Brave and the Bold #54 (1964) featuring a teamup of Robin ( Grayson), Kid Flash (Wally West) and Aqualad (Garth), the sidekicks of Justice League members Batman, the Flash and Aquaman respectively. The team was formed and made its first official appearance under the name of "Teen Titans" in The Brave and the Bold #60, joined by the 4th original member Wonder Girl (Donna Troy), Wonder Woman's younger sister. Later, Green Arrow's sidekick, Speedy (Roy Harper) replaced Aqualad.

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teen_Titans

Teen Titans in the Grand Comics Database:

http://www.comics.org/search/advanced/process/?target=issue_cover&method=icontains&logic=False&keywords&order1=date&order2=series&series=teen+titans

Somebody really needs to search the trademark on the Teen Titans. I have a funny feeling therein lies the answer to the question I asked at the beginning of this thread. If the copyright references the 54, I will crawl back to the hole from whence I came, stack of 60's in hand.

We all know that isn't going to be the case though. Even Yoddler, Shill City Duck. All the non-believers.

Brave and the Bold 60 is the first appearance of the Teen Titans. There will be no doubt.

lol! A guy who admits that he's stocking upon on BB60s in a speculative ploy to make a killing calls me a "shill"? Too funny! The irony defeats your attempted insult.

DC has already had the final word on this one and announced that BB 54 is the official first appearance of the "new team" that became "copyrighted" as the Teen Titans. You can keep trying to confuse storytelling/continuity with legal niceties and trademarks, keep trying to rely on some (but clearly not all) fan written sources to make your case, but DC, Overstreet, and the vast majority of dealers and collectors have all taken a position at odd with yours.

Sorry.

In any event, I think your deep investment will work out fine. Don't panic! I really don't think you need to spread misinformation to make your case for the value of the book. No need to misrepresent what it is to buyers! It's a great book (WG joins the team, first use of the name "Teen Titans") even without the over-claim. I'd hate to see folks start calling you MisStakesComics.

Grand Comics Database just posted this on FB re 1st appearance. Interesting to see that it reflects more of a swing from past conventional wisdom than I expected.

50 Years Ago This Month: The Teen Titans make their first official appearance in The Brave and the Bold #60 (http://www.comics.org/issue/19203/), cover by Nick Cardy!

The basis for the creation of the Teen Titans began in The Brave and the Bold #54 (1964) featuring a teamup of Robin ( Grayson), Kid Flash (Wally West) and Aqualad (Garth), the sidekicks of Justice League members Batman, the Flash and Aquaman respectively. The team was formed and made its first official appearance under the name of "Teen Titans" in The Brave and the Bold #60, joined by the 4th original member Wonder Girl (Donna Troy), Wonder Woman's younger sister. Later, Green Arrow's sidekick, Speedy (Roy Harper) replaced Aqualad.

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teen_Titans

Dude, that's just the GCD republishing (see the "from" link?) the false info from the wikipedia. Wiki's are open to editing by just about anyone, and are often manipulated by folks who want to spread false information (such as to increase the value of the book). This wiki was discussed ad nauseum earlier in this thread. Sloppy by GCD to rely on it. DC has made clear that the official first appearance of the TT is BB 54, and I don't think you'll find many (if any) dealers listing the book differently. Nor does CGC. Every copy on eBay is listed as "1st Teen Titans" or prominently displays the CGC label which says that without any qualifier.

The only copy of BB 60 listed anywhere, that I can find, as being the "1st Teen Titans" is a raw copy listed by an out of step yahoo on eBay named "blazincomics." Wait! Now where have I heard that name before ...

Edited by sfcityduck

I also have a FN 54 I bought as part of a collection. When it is listed it will be properly referenced as the Teen Titans origin/prototype.

Hmmm. Interestingly, "blazincomics" on ebay calls a coverless copy of BB 54 "origin of Teen Titans," consistent with it being the first appearance of the TT in line with DC and CGC's position, but chooses not to devalue the comic by claiming it is not a TT comic or by calling it a prototype.

Anyone care to dance? :sumo::sumo::sumo::sumo::sumo:

Why ... The coverless copy you posted looks just like the coverless copy blazincomics has listed on eBay as "origin of Teen Titans" with no "prototype" or other qualifier stating that BB 54 is not a TT comic. It even has the same scuff and green distributor marks! Remarkable coincidence.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brave-and-the-Bold-54-Origin-of-the-Teen-Titans-Coverless-Copy-/181825025044

Anyone care to dance? :sumo::sumo::sumo::sumo::sumo:

Why ... The coverless copy you posted looks just like the coverless copy blazincomics has listed on eBay as "origin of Teen Titans" with no "prototype" or other qualifier stating that BB 54 is not a TT comic. It even has the same scuff and green distributor marks! Remarkable coincidence.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brave-and-the-Bold-54-Origin-of-the-Teen-Titans-Coverless-Copy-/181825025044

You know blazin changed his name to HighStakes, right? Or is there something else going on here? hm

I know it.

I didn't appreciate him calling me a "shill." (I'm not and I'm not a speculator or dealer). I thought it was appropriate given his comment to provide some context so readers can judge.

Ok, got it. Subtlety is usually lost on me! :D

I also have a FN 54 I bought as part of a collection. When it is listed it will be properly referenced as the Teen Titans origin/prototype.

Hmmm. Interestingly, "blazincomics" on ebay calls a coverless copy of BB 54 "origin of Teen Titans," consistent with it being the first appearance of the TT in line with DC and CGC's position, but chooses not to devalue the comic by claiming it is not a TT comic or by calling it a prototype.

54 is the origin and 60 is the 1st appearance, just as I have called it all along. Kinda like FF 66 & 67 except with teams. You only see the cocoon in BB 54, you don't witness the team as they have been known for 50 years with their original lineup until Brave and the Bold 60.

If I didn't have a leg to stand on there is a good chance more than half of the scholarly readers here in this thread wouldn't agree with me, Duck. Do I own multiples of 60? Absolutely. Is there anything wrong with that? Absolutely not. If you disagree you can instantly discredit me by posting the panel in Brave and the Bold 54 which introduces the world to the Teen Titans. The only problem is there isn't one. It's a myth. 54 is a team up and origin. It lays the foundation for what appears for the first time 6 issues later. It's only a matter of time until the gospel has spread and the collecting community views this as it truly is. In the meantime, I'd suggest trying on a pair of big boy pants and learning how not to dish out what you apparently cannot take.

54 is the origin and 60 is the 1st appearance, just as I have called it all along. Kinda like FF 66 & 67 except with teams. You only see the cocoon in BB 54, you don't witness the team as they have been known for 50 years with their original lineup until Brave and the Bold 60.

If I didn't have a leg to stand on there is a good chance more than half of the scholarly readers here in this thread wouldn't agree with me, Duck. Do I own multiples of 60? Absolutely. Is there anything wrong with that? Absolutely not. If you disagree you can instantly discredit me by posting the panel in Brave and the Bold 54 which introduces the world to the Teen Titans. The only problem is there isn't one. It's a myth. 54 is a team up and origin. It lays the foundation for what appears for the first time 6 issues later. It's only a matter of time until the gospel has spread and the collecting community views this as it truly is. In the meantime, I'd suggest trying on a pair of big boy pants and learning how not to dish out what you apparently cannot take.

I consider 54 more of a "prototype" issue, as I don't think it was ever established that the adventure in that issue led to the team's formation. But otherwise, yeah.

I didn't realize that posting my new book would renew a 6 month old argument!

I love comic book people

This is almost as classic as who is stronger, Hulk or Thing

So ridiculous

:roflmao:

lol you are so right!

It's totally the Hulk... :baiting: