• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYcc sales report

279 posts in this topic

Andre was "shocked" I didn't sell any Batman Adventures, even though I was priced under what other dealers sold them for at the show...

why, because...

...you didn't mention them on your web-site?

...you didn't contact any of your New York area Batman Adventures want-list customers prior to the show?

...you didn't take the time to walk them around the room and hand-sell them to prospective customers?

...you didn't pay the Reed Expo folks additional fees to advertise them in the convention guide?

...you aren't a marginally handsome middle aged New York nerd named Bob?

Im getting doubts as to whether the NYCC conference management is actually aware that they are doing a COMIC-convention?

And I am sick of hearing about NYCC and their bad priorities ... Right or wrong it leaves an impression of 'amateurism' ... not honoring the COMICs medium that started it all. Thats 'amateurism' in my book.

oh by the way Rick, you are welcome for the use of the display rack. your show would have been even better with walls ehh?

did you ever find out where yours are??

it was appreciated that you had available for me in Chicago and NY...couldn't have done it without you !

Andre was "shocked" I didn't sell any Batman Adventures, even though I was priced under what other dealers sold them for at the show...

why, because...

...you didn't mention them on your web-site?

...you didn't contact any of your New York area Batman Adventures want-list customers prior to the show?

...you didn't take the time to walk them around the room and hand-sell them to prospective customers?

...you didn't pay the Reed Expo folks additional fees to advertise them in the convention guide?

...you aren't a marginally handsome middle aged New York nerd named Bob?

bob is quite the looker, is he not ;)

It really sounds like they did a great job on you wanting to return?

I made the statement that I very likely wouldn't return, and the sales rep said "I'm sorry to hear that"....

Danielle eventually got them to guarantee the spot they told us we had this year, at a reduced cost...but even then, I'm not so sure I will set up again...

Wow, maybe I should call up and complain too, since both Greg Reece and I were originally supposed to have CGC's spot on a 20 foot aisle, as opposed to where we actually were. I would like a reduced rate on my booths, especially since I do their show every year and C2E2 as well. hm

It really sounds like they did a great job on you wanting to return?

I made the statement that I very likely wouldn't return, and the sales rep said "I'm sorry to hear that"....

Danielle eventually got them to guarantee the spot they told us we had this year, at a reduced cost...but even then, I'm not so sure I will set up again...

Wow, maybe I should call up and complain too, since both Greg Reece and I were originally supposed to have CGC's spot on a 20 foot aisle, as opposed to where we actually were. I would like a reduced rate on my booths, especially since I do their show every year and C2E2 as well. hm

sounds like a plan!

OK, maybe THIS is their strategy...spread the vintage comic dealers around the room to force comic collectors to walk by tee shirt booths and other garbage with the hopes they will patronize those vendors too...maybe it doesn't occur to them that comic collectors only go to shows to look at comics...and once they find a cluster of dealers they look no further.

Essentially what Bob is saying is that Bob is God and all other dealers suck.

Bob does it right and anyone who does it differently does it wrong.

I do think Bob does things the right way. He is certainly proactive in getting his message across. But he does need to realize that doing it his way doesn't necessarily equate certain success given all the other factors. If that were the case then explain to me the whining he does when he has a less than successful show in the venues where some of us kill it?

:popcorn:

They will promise you the moon...and deliver the bathroom.

lol

Just my 2 cents as a customer who walked by New Force and Filter's booth. I stood there for several minutes looking and taking pictures of the great line up of GA and SA keys. A serious but limited group of books. The selection was thin and not deep like many ot the other dealers at the show. Many of the larger dealers I saw there who were doing well had serious stock of books to appeal to many collectors.

I felt that Gator/Filter's booth was more for the very high end collector and not much for the average Joe. I could be wrong because I didn't ask for some books but the appearance of the booth and set up didn't lead me to think they had much beyond what was displayed.

I also understand that it's a family business. However, when I walked by there were kids in the booth and not much attention to the customers walking by. I stood there for 5 minutes looking and not one person said hi to me. That could be because you recognized me and didn't want to say hi. :) But, as someone who does conventions (my business has vendor fairs), we greet everyone who walks up to the booth.

I do also agree that their booth location wasn't great. But, to me, it wasn't as big a factor as it was made out to be though.

Bob also raises some really valid points about the business practices needed for successful convention selling.

Yup, since I'm a whiner and a briber I slipped Mark a few bucks to give Gator a lousy booth location.

Read the rant and rave, you don't kiss the ring you pay.

http://www.highgradecomics.com/article.php?dynamic=rants

Someone has WAY too much time on their hands.

Someone just above (no surprise really, considering the source) isn't really up-to-date on his reading, else he'd know this particular rant and rave classic from Bob has been around awhile. It just seems fresh because it's filled with the finest of sardonic humor.

And without picking sides in the popcorn fest -- there's a lot of truth in what Bob posted. :)

I see Bob has a bunch of Herby Skogland Actions...man, those are beaters...but the little stickers are cool...

The little Mafia comic stories are funny, but the lack of many non-DC and Marvel books is not...

Hoping for a deep selection/multiple runs of "Thrilling Adventures in Stamps"?

Guess I can't please all of the people all of the time.

Yup, I specialize in Marvel/DC Silver/Bronze. Why is that? Could it be that is where the most sales are occurring? Could it be that is primarily where the movie books and sales trends are tracking the highest? Could it be that maybe I know what sells versus what doesn't on my website? I also stock Pre-code horror, Atlas, Golden Age Superhero primarily, Charlton's, War, Romance, Magazines, etc. I have copper inventory as well as some modern. I never claim to be everything to everybody.

Could it be that I actually sell those Non-Marvel/DC titles which you don't post?

Should I be using the vulcan mind meld to figure those titles/issues out?

Or just buy everything and hope it sells or you buy it?

Alriiiighty ... Some of you are going to face fines from the Dealers Guild over this :slapfight:

In other news ... Anyone score anything interesting at the show?

I picked up this copy of a classic Matt Baker cover.

Scan-141012-0001_zps4138f293.jpg

Otherwise, just dribs and drabs. I wish Chuck R. would set up again. He usually has a great selection of trade books.

That's stunning. Someone needs to do a proper Matt Baker art book.