• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYcc sales report

279 posts in this topic

Obviously I was joking about the sale. Though when someone asked where all our books were (as I had just completed packing them up) I did jokingly say "had a 50% off sale and sold them all". I didn't clarify my sarcasm hehe

Come to London in March. I can guarantee you $100 in sales :banana:

George, what are the dates for the London con? I might try to arrange a business trip to Europe to coincide, if the dates are close enough for me to get away with it.

It seems to me that comic cons are not really about comics anymore, and if they want to keep calling them comic cons they should put all the dealers right in front of one of the doors so everyone can find them. It seems like a dis-service to the namesake of the cons to sprinkle the comic dealers all over the place. This is one of the reasons I decided to stop going to these pop culture calamities.

These cons want too much for dealer tables, and then they give the dealers the shaft. There are too many non-comic fans at these things too, and some of us can't even get a ticket. They just aren't fun anymore.

Sorry if I'm echoing what anyone else already said, but between these fiasco cons and disreputable dealers on flea Bay it's really taken some of the fun out of collecting.

But, maybe I'm just so old that I remember when comic collecting was more fun...and it was a great adventure to go to a big con. I think I'll just buy books from boardies, my favorite online dealers, and shops in the future. :sorry:

What Wondercon show are you doing?

Are you referring to the one they used to hold in San Francisco that did great sales number or the Mickey mouse Anaheim version that doesn't?

Richard, save your money.

the old Oakland site at the Marriot on Broadway in the late 80s and 90s was a great NorCal show.

You guys should set up at WonderCon in April. The show gets bigger every year, and I'd get to see my fellow geeks more than once a year. :whee:

Agreed, and Disneyland is across the street!

hm Is it easy to get tickets? I don't even consider SDCC because it's too much of a hassle, otherwise I'd probably go every year.

You guys should set up at WonderCon in April. The show gets bigger every year, and I'd get to see my fellow geeks more than once a year. :whee:

Agreed, and Disneyland is across the street!

hm Is it easy to get tickets? I don't even consider SDCC because it's too much of a hassle, otherwise I'd probably go every year.

Yes still pretty easy to get tickets to this show. Last year BustedFlush and I attended with our wives and had a relaxing time at the show and enjoying an extended long lunch afterwards. It reminds me of San Diego twenty years ago which means you have about five years before this gets too big!

Rick,

Wow. What happened to you and Adam at NYCC sucks. How disrespectful to you both and to the show.

Here you've got 2 of the nicest, most decent guys in the comic industry -- with some of the best stuff on the market at almost any given time -- and they hide you in the boonies.

For a show of such magnitude, to IMO make a mistake of such magnitude, is outrageous.

It's stealing your money and your sales, and keeping fantastic books and two fantastic people away from center stage where they belong.

Makes me want to start my own NYCC and put you square in the middle of the show - heck, I'd put you and Adam and you booth on stage.

Rick,

I was at this year's NYCC and (unfortunately) never found your booth. Reading about your experience had me thinking about some of the key locations that were occupied by non-comic related sellers. Geico Insurance? Come on! The last place I need to see my insurance carrier is at a comic con. And I'm a big fan of the NYCC- it's evolved into the largest Con in the country if not the world (been to San Diego - one of the "Grand Slam Cons" but NY is moving to a higher plane in terms of sheer size). The NY Times Business Section had an article about how they plan to extend the NYC Comic Con to multiple locations. I have mixed feelings about this. Can you imagine Wal Mart, Sears, Wells Fargo, etc. having a presence at these Cons? Scary.

I'm looking forward to Carbonaro's show in March 2015.

Best,

John

Obviously I was joking about the sale. Though when someone asked where all our books were (as I had just completed packing them up) I did jokingly say "had a 50% off sale and sold them all". I didn't clarify my sarcasm hehe

George, what are the dates for the London con? I might try to arrange a business trip to Europe to coincide, if the dates are close enough for me to get away with it.

March 14-15

London Super Comic Con takes place March 14-15, 2015. 1koko twisted my arm so I already purchased my flight to the UK.

Rick's and Adam's booth was among the cutlery and jewelry dealers. The NYCC smartphone app did not even list Filter's Comics among the Comics Dealers. I found Filter's Comics under General Exhibitors.

Rick,

I was at this year's NYCC and (unfortunately) never found your booth. Reading about your experience had me thinking about some of the key locations that were occupied by non-comic related sellers. Geico Insurance? Come on! The last place I need to see my insurance carrier is at a comic con. And I'm a big fan of the NYCC- it's evolved into the largest Con in the country if not the world (been to San Diego - one of the "Grand Slam Cons" but NY is moving to a higher plane in terms of sheer size). The NY Times Business Section had an article about how they plan to extend the NYC Comic Con to multiple locations. I have mixed feelings about this. Can you imagine Wal Mart, Sears, Wells Fargo, etc. having a presence at these Cons? Scary.

Best,

John

Is this the article? %7B%221%22%3A%22RI%3A5%22%7D&_r=0'>NYT article If so, I don't see a discussion of expanding to multiple locations. hm

Rick,

Wow. What happened to you and Adam at NYCC sucks. How disrespectful to you both and to the show.

Here you've got 2 of the nicest, most decent guys in the comic industry -- with some of the best stuff on the market at almost any given time -- and they hide you in the boonies.

For a show of such magnitude, to IMO make a mistake of such magnitude, is outrageous.

It's stealing your money and your sales, and keeping fantastic books and two fantastic people away from center stage where they belong.

Makes me want to start my own NYCC and put you square in the middle of the show - heck, I'd put you and Adam and you booth on stage.

:cloud9:

Come to think of it, I didn't see you or Adam's table at the show. :cloud9:

That sucks! I always look forward to reading your con sales reports.

These big shows owe the comic dealers a little more respect then they give them, since they call themselves comic conventions :/

Next year I'm going one day maybe.

Rick,

Best,

John

Is this the article? %7B%221%22%3A%22RI%3A5%22%7D&_r=0'>NYT article If so, I don't see a discussion of expanding to multiple locations. hm

"110 events at 25 venues all over the city"

Rick,

Best,

John

"110 events at 25 venues all over the city"

I thought they did something similar to that this year, a whole week of stuff leading up to and surrounding the con at different locations around the city. Maybe I imagined reading that. In any event, the main con would still be in one place I'd imagine, too much of a nightmare to spread it around.