• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYcc sales report

279 posts in this topic

So we will miss your presence at a show because Gator wasn't in a prime location?

Wow, what if he wasn't setup at the show? Is that the promoters fault to?

I am frankly very impressed by the number of Gator groupie's that feel he had absolutely no responsibility in where he was placed in the show. That with the hundreds of vendors and the application he filled out Reed would know he and Adam have "great inventory" and should get premier booth locations.

:facepalm:

Bob, I think you're simply completely missing the mark here.

I think it's safe to say that after many years of GAtor's presence on these boards -- in many ways the grandfather of these boards... and for most of us, having had time spent talking directly with Rick... we find Rick to be an upstanding guy.

I feel the same way about Adam.

If both Rick and Adam feel they've been slighted and treated unfairly by NYCC, then I think it's safe to assume that they've earned the right to be trusted in their experience.

If you think somehow Rick is whining, and I'm just a Rick-apologist, I think you've completely missed the mark - it's got to do with having formed a trusting relationship, so that when Rick and/or Adam say they've been wronged, I believe them and support them.

I call it friendship, not being a groupie...

So we will miss your presence at a show because Gator wasn't in a prime location?

I am frankly very impressed by the number of Gator groupie's that feel he had absolutely no responsibility in where he was placed in the show. That with the hundreds of vendors and the application he filled out Reed would know he and Adam have "great inventory" and should get premier booth locations.

I think it's safe to say that after many years of GAtor's presence on these boards -- in many ways the grandfather of these boards... and for most of us, having had time spent talking directly with Rick... we find Rick to be an upstanding guy.

If both Rick and Adam feel they've been slighted and treated unfairly by NYCC, then I think it's safe to assume that they've earned the right to be trusted in their experience.

If you think somehow Rick is whining, and I'm just a Rick-apologist, I think you've completely missed the mark - it's got to do with having formed a trusting relationship, so that when Rick and/or Adam say they've been wronged, I believe them and support them.

I wish amazing bop would supply us with a gentle response to this ... (thumbs u

:cloud9:

I Think Bob brings up valid points....and while thankfully he is not a "groupie" (sarcasm on), he is a friend...

at some point or another, probably every dealer has had a "bad" show....

mine was last year in Tampa, and I fully accepted that it was circumstances I could have done differently, that led to my dismal show.... I altered my set up this year for Tampa, and had a stellar (for me) "kick arse" show...so I chalked that up to learning curve....

NY is not that case...I have set up in NYCC for 6 or 7 straight years, I believe, and have done 100K or more in sales all 6 years....I feel I have a pretty good grasp of what to expect from NY buyers...

so, IMO, it wasn't pricing, or selection, or my visibility...it was, pure and simple, location (and a few other small mitigating factors), IMO, that not only stymied, but virtually grinded sales to a halt for us...

Ok. Let me address Ole Grand dad of the boards.

Went to the New Force website. Nothing mentioning a booth location or frankly where I would find Rick at any Convention he sets up at. Nice short blog on where I can call him if I'm selling books and that he is accepting paypal with a note dated 2006. Last post August 2014. No mention that he is at Reed NY show.

Filter's Comics has no website, ebay store only.

Again, how Adam would communicate he is at the Reed NY show on ebay would be interesting unless Adam put it into every book description he has up for sale. Needless to say that didn't happen.

So between the two of them they are relying on the show exhibitor listing and the white sign hanging on the curtain.

Now unless Adam has a email group customer list hanging around I didn't get an email from him saying he would be at the show. I heard it from another customer of mine that he would be there. Same goes for New Force, no email. I heard Rick was coming because I had to give him a check.

Now if you go to my website and look in my convention schedule there is a lot of information including booth number. The home page lists a short list of the next 6 shows I will be doing and clearly states where to click for my full schedule. That schedule goes deep into 2015. I give customers a FULL year in advance where I will be. If I can't be there I let them know.

Do I see this on the New Force website? Adam doesn't have a website.

So the way I see it if my customers don't know where I am and are relying on "sight" what happens is "Out of sight, out of mind". I would be questioning why "my customers" weren't looking for me or calling me asking where I was. Why don't I have pre-show sales? Why don't I have books on hold for customers to see? Did anybody I sold to last year come by again this year? Why not? Have I contacted them to ask why?

Could it be my website or the fact that I don't have one doesn't support my convention sales?

Is it possible I had the wrong product mix for the show?

Display rows too crowed?

If I have a "Wall book business model" and don't have box stock inventory is it possible the business model is flawed. Clearly the business model doesn't support a bad booth location. That is the owners business model for those of you following along, not the promoters.

Were books being requested off the wall displays? Were prices being asked? Best you can do questions? If yes then it is possible that customer bought the book from somebody else. That means I didn't have the nicer copy or my pricing (My responsibility)

Or is it simply easier to post that I was slighted by the promoter?

And I am NOT saying Reed didn't mess up on this or that Rick/Adam are not upstanding.

to clarify, I did have the nycc booth location on our website newsfeed, top post, dated 10/08 (it also stated shipping warehouse closed while we were gone,etc) ...but I deleted it sunday night, as it was no longer valid.... I post every con dates on our site, in advance....BUT, I don't sell comics via my site, so it has very little impact, other than maybe some local customers coming by and saying "hi"...

Daniele had it posted all over facebook daily (that is their main "social media" alert mechanism)...so, we did as much if not more there, than we ever had...

in fact, I have had the same modus operandi at NYCC for the past 7 years, and every show has been a success, except this one....

so the only variable that was diff this con, from past, was location...

inv about the same (multiple of GA and SA keys across all price points, priced at or around current FMV...same as I always do...same as I had last month in Balt, etc)...no overcrowding of shelves...in fact, no shingling at all...every book, full faced...prices in line/the same with balt and wwchicago and sdcc, etc...where I sold hundreds of 1000's of $ of books

booth staffed same as always etc...

as mentioned, about the only variable diff this year, from past years, was our location (we've never had signs, or websites posts, etc)...

just saying (thumbs u

to clarify, I did have the nycc booth location on our website newsfeed, top post, dated 10/08 (it also stated shipping warehouse closed while we were gone,etc) ...but I deleted it sunday night, as it was no longer valid.... I post every con dates on our site, in advance....BUT, I don't sell comics via my site, so it has very little impact, other than maybe some local customers coming by and saying "hi"...

Daniele had it posted all over facebook daily (that is their main "social media" alert mechanism)...so, we did as much if not more there, than we ever had...

in fact, I have had the same modus operandi at NYCC for the past 7 years, and every show has been a success, except this one....

inv about the same (multiple of GA and SA keys across all price points, priced at or around current FMV...same as I always do...same as I had last month in Balt, etc)...no overcrowding of shelves...in fact, no shingling at all...every book, full faced...prices in line/the same with balt and wwchicago and sdcc, etc...where I sold hundreds of 1000's of $ of books

as mentioned, about the only variable diff this year, from past years, was our location (we've never had signs, or websites posts, etc)...

just saying (thumbs u

hey rick. as a side note, I know you are just a text/phone call away but I'd love it if you had a NFC website updated with new GA inventory with scans and prices. I know it is a lot it work and you have a store but I view several dealers sites that update semi/regularly (Reece, bob, Superworld, metro) to see what offerings are available. Some take advantage of all social media forms (website, facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, vine, yelp) to market their inventory to new customers. Of course, face to face interaction is always fun. Not saying a stronger Internet/social media presence would have cured your bad location at NYCC, but overall hits and exposure helps in mass marketing.

Let me help you since you still want to blame the promoter and haven't answered this part.

If I have a "Wall book business model" and don't have box stock inventory is it possible the business model is flawed. Clearly the business model doesn't support a bad booth location. That is the owners business model for those of you following along, not the promoters.

Were books being requested off the wall displays? Were prices being asked? Best you can do questions? If yes then it is possible that customer bought the book from somebody else. That means I didn't have the nicer copy or my pricing (My responsibility)

So basically you sat the whole weekend and didn't show a book once?

If people are requesting to see books off the wall then the booth location doesn't matter does it? When a person has a book of yours in their hands and is looking at it the responsibility is yours to close them, no?

So unless you showed absolutely nothing part of the problem may have been selection, prices etc or as Jeff stated your Witty banter.

When i want to buy on the internet i look.? When i go to a comic con i dont have time to see who all is there from the web.

I go there and see who is there. Thats what is fun seeing who is there not on the web that i see all day every day.

I stop going to shows Wonder-con was 45 min away in SF but even that was bad to many people and other cant walk talk anything anymore.

Gator i never bought nothing from you dont know who you really are but you do have bad a__ books and you got the shaft sounds like.

Dont know who runs the show but when i sold books and i know they were good still the persons not happy i do what i can to make it right $5 to a grand what ever it takes.

This guy should try to make it right and fair you went to the show to have fun make money look around. If you done the show for 6 years you know whats good and whats bad cant fix a flat tire if you dont have the tools to do it.

I am on your side on this just from all the trust you have here.

Let me help you since you still want to blame the promoter and haven't answered this part.

So basically you sat the whole weekend and didn't show a book once?

If people are requesting to see books off the wall then the booth location doesn't matter does it? When a person has a book of yours in their hands and is looking at it the responsibility is yours to close them, no?

So unless you showed absolutely nothing part of the problem may have been selection, prices etc or as Jeff stated your Witty banter.

sorry, thought I had already addressed...no, virtually no books were even being asked to be looked at...best prices etc...there literally was no vintage comic traffic at all, outside of the usual boardie suspects...if anyone even stopped long enough to appear to have any interest, they were greeted, invited to see any book, ask any questions, etc... I've been selling collectibles a long time, I'm pretty good at it ;)

my business model has proven successful at every single con I have ever done, except the first Tampa show...that's probably 50+ cons of "wins", and only 1 "loss" till now (and that loss was a start up show where I had no history to help me decide how to display...I've had 7 years of NY history).... (thumbs u

just saying (thumbs u

hey rick. as a side note, I know you are just a text/phone call away but I'd love it if you had a NFC website updated with new GA inventory with scans and prices. I know it is a lot it work and you have a store but I view several dealers sites that update semi/regularly (Reece, bob, Superworld, metro) to see what offerings are available. Some take advantage of all social media forms (website, facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, vine, yelp) to market their inventory to new customers. Of course, face to face interaction is always fun. Not saying a stronger Internet/social media presence would have cured your bad location at NYCC, but overall hits and exposure helps in mass marketing.

I completely understand... Bob does a fantastic job of this type of operation... I'm virtually "retired"....I worked 45 years worth of hours in a 15 year period on my toy business... I am "done" working... I just do this for fun/hobby, make a little money, socialize, whatever you want to call it... (my wife and kids get to travel sometimes to diff cities, so its all good).... do I like to lose 10K? of course not....as mentioned, in the 7 years I've been setting up at shows, I had never lost money until the Tampa show last year, and that was , as bob is pointing out, my error in selection of books, etc... I put that "loss" 100% on me, not the promoters...

in this case, NYCC was largely (I'm not saying it is 100%, as that is too definitive) due to booth placement and the promoters telling us one thing (where we would be placed) and doing/placing in a bad spot (they've already admitted this too us at the show, so the discussion on that aspect is moot...they've admitted responsibility, but only recourse offered was better pricing and placement next year, if we choose to return)

It really sounds like they did a great job on you wanting to return?

I made the statement that I very likely wouldn't return, and the sales rep said "I'm sorry to hear that"....

Danielle eventually got them to guarantee the spot they told us we had this year, at a reduced cost...but even then, I'm not so sure I will set up again...

It really sounds like they did a great job on you wanting to return?

I made the statement that I very likely wouldn't return, and the sales rep said "I'm sorry to hear that"....

Danielle eventually got them to guarantee the spot they told us we had this year, at a reduced cost...but even then, I'm not so sure I will set up again...

so they had no explanation as to why the promised booth location was not where you got placed?