• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYcc sales report

279 posts in this topic

Hoping for a deep selection/multiple runs of "Thrilling Adventures in Stamps"?

Stamp Comics 1-7

Thrilling Adventures in Stamps 8 - one off

just sayin

Or just buy everything and hope it sells

You don't have to buy everything, Bob. :baiting:

ThrillingAdvsinStamps8f100ninin_zpsc06cdb25.jpg

So, are those natives killing him to get his woman, or his stamps?

I saw a guy dressed as Dead Pool buying a stack of comics.

These generalizations are just that...sweeping statements that don't hold water in reality.

Wrong.

I have done hundreds and hundreds of conventions. People in costumer very rarely buy anything. I think I have sold to 2 or 3 total in 19 years of doing conventions.

Generalizations are created for a reason. No they don't always hold, but the VAST majority of the time, they are exactly correct.

I know some don't agree, but IMO cosplay is the worst thing that ever happened to "comic book shows". Costumes have no pockets. nuff said.

From what I've seen the last few years, the cosplayers do purchased items at the NYCC. It's just not comic books. They buy t-shirts, anime related posters, swords and toys.

I'll buy this.

But that's why I qualified it as "comic book shows".

You do know that people used to get dressed up at shows in the 70's.

Halloween has also grown into the 2nd largest retail sales number so wouldn't it be logical that more "cosplay" costumes would be showing up at comic book conventions.

Grump

Halloween has also grown into the 2nd largest retail sales number so wouldn't it be logical that more "cosplay" costumes would be showing up at comic book conventions.

Grump

Suck it Storms

Grump

I'm not nearly as old as you to remember those shows in the 70s. :preach:

It used to be comic fans dressing up, tradition that has been part of cons since the 70's (Heidi :cloud9: ) Now it's just an excuse to wear outrageous outfits and be seen. I saw a dude in his 50's with a Mohawk and red jockey underwear on - that's all. Where else can a wacko like that parade around and not get arrested. It's gotren pretty pathetic. I wish another real comic venue would come along and knock NYCC off its undeserved pedestal.

:gossip: Dude was Zangief from Street Fighter

SFA3_Zangief.gif

Yeah right lol Tell that to the 6 year old girl in therapy now.

Hoping for a deep selection/multiple runs of "Thrilling Adventures in Stamps"?

Stamp Comics 1-7

Thrilling Adventures in Stamps 8 - one off

just sayin

Or just buy everything and hope it sells

You don't have to buy everything, Bob. :baiting:

ThrillingAdvsinStamps8f100ninin_zpsc06cdb25.jpg

So, are those natives killing him to get his woman, or his stamps?

Was going from memory ;)

The guy getting speared cover is pretty graphic to this day!

Guess I can't please all of the people all of the time.

Yup, I specialize in Marvel/DC Silver/Bronze. Why is that? Could it be that is where the most sales are occurring? Could it be that is primarily where the movie books and sales trends are tracking the highest? Could it be that maybe I know what sells versus what doesn't on my website? I also stock Pre-code horror, Atlas, Golden Age Superhero primarily, Charlton's, War, Romance, Magazines, etc. I have copper inventory as well as some modern. I never claim to be everything to everybody.

Could it be that I actually sell those Non-Marvel/DC titles which you don't post?

Should I be using the vulcan mind meld to figure those titles/issues out?

Or just buy everything and hope it sells or you buy it?

How apropos the above post is. I was looking for Baker stuff...but when I checked the A-Z listings for "Other" I got next to nuthin...and didn't see any Baker. Guess it doesn't sell...oh well...there's always eBay...

You're kind of a cocky dealer aren't you? :sumo:

And you must be kind of an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Not to worry, you shan't be lonely -- plenty of like company for you in the world at large. :)

:cloud9: Stamps...

Those are really cool books. Collecting stuff like this is what makes the hobby fun for me. (I include Baker in "stuff.")

Collecting run-of-the-mill super hero books is mostly a matter of just spending the dough.

That's what makes Harley or Richie M such great dealers. You walk up to them and ask about an obscure book and they may not have it but they likely know what it is and can talk to you about it. With other dealers you are likely to get the brush off.

Not that I don't also have a lot of super hero books. :D

I tend to know which dealers like to talk about what books, or not, and try to be respectful of their time. Even the chattiest of dealers can get busy, and likely doesn't have time to shoot the mess over how excited I am about a new-to-me PCH book, for example.

"Guess it doesn't sell...oh well...there's always eBay..."

Now while I may be crossing the "You can't pick on customers" line this is the type of post and comment I get at shows. If they don't see it they assume I don't look for it, get it or sell it. Baker issues, classic covers, keys all sell very well off my website. I've had customers come up to me at shows asking where is that book they were looking at. When I tell them it sold off the site they look "hurt". I follow up by asking was it on your want list. Did you email me? Did you ask me to hold it for you? When they say no I ask well how would I know you wanted it? Is that "Cocky" or just being honest?

I don't know sometimes what exactly collectors want from dealers. Do you want a museum or a retailer? Somewhere to come look and go "wow" or a place where you can buy what you are looking at. When I sell that item I then have to go find a replacement. If it is tough for you to find do you think it is any easier for a dealer?

Then there is the "I don't buy them CGC graded". Ok, well it does remove the doubt that it is unrestored doesn't work. They seem offended if I tell them crack it out and just keep the label. Could be graded accurately and priced exactly the same as a raw copy but nope, that plastic well just annoys the hell out of them. That's my fault and I should have known you didn't want it graded.

When collectors question why there isn't more Golden Age at a show I ask how many dealers do you think have the money to buy it? The reason certain dealers have the inventory is that they are very aggressive at shows finding books, have years of selling books to collectors and as years go by they get them back and sometimes luck. It is not like a lot of "new" GA collections come to market every year.

I do get a kick out of some comic-buying customers who "would get a book", but "oh, but it's in plastic, I don't buy 'em that way" (verbatim quote from the last Chicago show) -- which means they have the misconception that a slabbed book automatically means a price higher than what it "should" be. Or perhaps, looking at it another way -- they likely want the book for a steal, and feel less confident they're going to snag it for a song if it's already in plastic.

Totally separate issue -- the aesthetic desire to have a book in a shiny new mylar and archival board, vs. a clunky slab is perfectly understandable, and quite easy to do -- remove from and discard slab, and may as well keep the label. Couldn't be easier.

Richie Muchin has liberated more slabs with the use of concrete floors than most dealers I know. Not sure what the problem is with removing the book from the slab. Could it be that customers think I will use the same removal method?