• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I would have loved to live in the 1970s and work at Marvel!

22 posts in this topic

I don't know about you guys, but when I see photos like the ones in this article, I strongly want to go back in time and go to work at Marvel in the good old seventies.

http://my-retrospace.blogspot.com/2013/04/comic-books-56-comic-book-creators.html

Stan The Man was incredibly cool, one of the coolest guy in the world. Look at Chris Claremont! Also Dave Sim was cool!

Was there ever a picture taken of Wally Wood without a cigarette?

I'm sure that article is romanticizing Marvel in the 70s. Sure, those photos look cool but I'm positive they don't tell the whole story.

Reading about that right now actually....Marvel the untold story. Lots of interesting stuff from the beginning in that book. Ever wonder what they were smoking when they wrote a particular book? Well, you might not be far off when it comes to a few of them.

well, marvel would have paid you jack back then. then again, you could have rented a nice 2B apartment in Manhattan that would cost you $6,000 a month now for about $400 and gotten locked in with a stabilized lease for the rest of your life and be paying about $900 now.

better yet, paid $35,000 for a 3 bedroom apartment that would be $3 million now. More room to store all the krap you'd take home from the office...

The weed and polyester decade. Only someone not yet born then would want to go back.

Born in 71...I'd give anything and everything to live my childhood all over again and in exactly the same way. :cloud9: x 1,000,000

Jim

Born in 71 as well :thumbsup: Overall it was awesome, but no way I wouldn't start saving the allowance for keys as they came out :) and Disney stock.

I don't know about you guys, but when I see photos like the ones in this article, I strongly want to go back in time and go to work at Marvel in the good old seventies.

http://my-retrospace.blogspot.com/2013/04/comic-books-56-comic-book-creators.html

Stan The Man was incredibly cool, one of the coolest guy in the world. Look at Chris Claremont! Also Dave Sim was cool!

Here's the bullpen in 1969.

1969BullpenGallery1.jpg

1969BullpenGallery2.jpg

1969BullpenGallery3.jpg

1969BullpenGallery4.jpg

If we read this book

9780061992117_p0_v3_s260x420.JPG

unfortunately we will find out it wasn`t a paradise, and a lot of backstabbing happened back in the 1970s. :(

well, marvel would have paid you jack back then. then again, you could have rented a nice 2B apartment in Manhattan that would cost you $6,000 a month now for about $400 and gotten locked in with a stabilized lease for the rest of your life and be paying about $900 now.

better yet, paid $35,000 for a 3 bedroom apartment that would be $3 million now. More room to store all the krap you'd take home from the office...

A Doctor I'm friendly with moved from NY to Lake Tahoe in 1975. He sold his townhouse on 5th Avenue and 94th St for $40,000. It recently sold for TWENTY million dollars.