• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you handle expensive comic books? Gloves?

17 posts in this topic

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6387397&fpart=1

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7655517&fpart=1

I've read a few articles lately from conservationists that have swayed me towards going with just bare hands with frequent hand washing. Two issues....1) gloves decrease feel/dexterity when handling the pages, which increases the risk of rips/tears/etc.; 2) dirt/oils from your hands can seep into and through cotton gloves, so, ironically, the gloves can actually themselves become grime carriers/transmitters.

If interested, there's a good article starting on p. 4 of the pdf at the following link that argues against using gloves (article is called "Misperceptions About White Gloves"): http://archive.ifla.org/VI/4/news/ipnn37.pdf

Typically after a nice plate of hot wings and BBQ ribs. Ah Gloves vs no gloves!

No, most of my $1k copies are already in slabs so no big deal but for the few raws in that price range that I have that I need to handle from time to time it'll be disposable white surgical unpowdered latex gloves. If you have latex allergies try nitrile or neoprene but latex has the best tactile and motor control which can be a problem with the typical white cloth glove. Cloth is also prone to collecting dirt and chemicals which can transfer to the comic, the fibers can catch on the pages leading to unexpected tears, and the reduced tactile response can make handling difficult. I mainly use gloves if I'm handling a book I don't own or if I'm planning on selling it. Don't reuse the gloves more than once if you have to take them off and put them back on.

But sometimes I just have to FEEL the book myself so before pulling it out of its mylar I'll go wash my hands thoroughly for 30 seconds with unscented soap and water (gearing up for surgery), rinse thoroughly, dry my hands with a clean towel or sterile napkin and sit down with a pack of unscented non-aloe baby wipes. If I feel my hands getting sweaty while holding the book, I'll carefully set the book down and wipe my hands with the baby wipes and air dry before continuing. If I'm reading multiple books, I'll just wash my hands in between each book and then moisturize after I'm done putting away the books.

I'm a bit anal about this and you won't have to go to these extremes but this is just me. You'll be fine if you just wash your hands and don't sweat profusely while reading.

This is a problem that kind of solves itself as you get older, too. The older I get (Just turned 60) the dryer my hands get, to the point where there's no sweat. Zero. I have to wear jersey gloves with the plastic dots to even get a decent grip on hand tools or shovels, etc.

These days after a good solid wash and hand dry and I'll handle books of any vintage, any value without fear.

Of course, my personal collection tends toward the VG range, but I have a few high grade gems I enjoy reading, and after checking that my hands were dry, I felt no qualms about handling and thumbing through that remarkable Action 1 at the Chicago Forum Dinner a couple years back.

Just wash your hands and place it on a flat, clean surface.

Although there is a great line in the 2002 film Comic Book Villains when one of the comic shop owners tells Carey Elwes' character that the acid from his fingers is causing the book he is holding to lose value.