• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the time you went all in on a book...

112 posts in this topic

I went all in with my Detective Comics 31 when it was offered to me back in 2000. Had to sell a lot of stuff as I was in college. Still own the book today and have absolutely no regrets. That being said, when I bought it, I wasn't worried about future value. I bought it because I loved the book.

Money's always kind of tight here..... but there have been occasions were I've pulled out all the stops. My problem is in managing to afford to KEEP them after the dust settles. Oddly enough, the books that I paid GPA highs for have always been books that I either broke even on or made nice profits if I had to sell. The one that comes to mind the most was the Okajima Thunda 1 .... I ended up letting it go to a super boardie when I managed to find a mid grade autographed copy that was more in my "order of magnitude". You should go for it ..... the only way you'll ever know for yourself. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I went all in with my Detective Comics 31 when it was offered to me back in 2000. Had to sell a lot of stuff as I was in college. Still own the book today and have absolutely no regrets. That being said, when I bought it, I wasn't worried about future value. I bought it because I loved the book.

:applause: that's is great Ankur I would say it was prolly worth every penny!!!! great book man!!

the first time I went , "all in" on a comic was right after I joined these boards...I was venturing into the bigger GA keys and thought I am gonna go for one I love!! Cap 3 no less...I sold some keys and set a bid I could live comfortably with and didn't look back and stuck to my guns!! I lost but it was a fun experience!! GAtor and the new owner had the book in Chicago and let me see it...nice guy!! small world I mean the odds of me walking up to GAtors booth at this exact time and me bringing up that book was crazy!! It all worked out though bc I was originay looking for a lower grade anyways and I did get to own a beautiful 5.0 for a short period of time so hey, got to meet some cool chaps and see and own some great books even though not for long was a fun experience...it made me realize that at this stage in my life if I want to put away some money, support my family in nice home, and have a diversified comic collection the mid to high 4 figure books will have to wait a few years but in the meantime I will keep hunting for and peicing together one of the lowest graded collection of keys and classic covers I can ever hope for and having a great time doing it!! :grin:

For me, the headline should be more like, "The time you were up way late, possibly having had a little too much to drink, and browsing comics you found something you really really wanted, so you went 'all in' setting a very high snipe amount, then completely forgot about the book and the snipe, and then a week later got an email that said 'You have won!', and looking more closely you discovered that your winning bid was only a couple bucks under your snipe amount."

the first time I went , "all in" on a comic was right after I joined these boards...I was venturing into the bigger GA keys and thought I am gonna go for one I love!! Cap 3 no less...I sold some keys and set a bid I could live comfortably with and didn't look back and stuck to my guns!! I lost but it was a fun experience!! GAtor and the new owner had the book in Chicago and let me see it...nice guy!! small world I mean the odds of me walking up to GAtors booth at this exact time and me bringing up that book was crazy!! It all worked out though bc I was originay looking for a lower grade anyways and I did get to own a beautiful 5.0 for a short period of time so hey, got to meet some cool chaps and see and own some great books even though not for long was a fun experience...it made me realize that at this stage in my life if I want to put away some money, support my family in nice home, and have a diversified comic collection the mid to high 4 figure books will have to wait a few years but in the meantime I will keep hunting for and peicing together one of the lowest graded collection of keys and classic covers I can ever hope for and having a great time doing it!! :grin:
I love your collection Gino. I'm doing kind of the same thing with my collection. The obvious exception is the All Select #1 in my sig. I went all in on it and I have not regretted it yet. :wishluck: In fact, my wife made me send it to CGC because I kept pulling it out of the bag and reading it! :roflmao: I couldn't help it; it was like the book called to me.

Sometimes a book is so cool it clouds your ability to reason (Silver Streak 6). Sometimes you just know it is the best copy you will ever see (Single Series 20). Sometimes you love it so much that you don't care (Jumbo 10). Sometimes it's a once in a lifetime opportunity (Action 15 cover). Sometimes something is so goofy and personal that it doesn't matter (Fast Willie Jackson 1). Sometimes you make a huge mistake (Human Torch 1)...but hopefully it will all even out in the end.

Sometimes a book is so cool it clouds your ability to reason (Silver Streak 6). Sometimes you just know it is the best copy you will ever see (Single Series 20). Sometimes you love it so much that you don't care (Jumbo 10). Sometimes it's a once in a lifetime opportunity (Action 15 cover). Sometimes something is so goofy and personal that it doesn't matter (Fast Willie Jackson 1). Sometimes you make a huge mistake (Human Torch 1)...but hopefully it will all even out in the end.

Now that you mention it, one of my 'all in' books...

<a  href=ZtWejl.jpg' alt='ZtWejl.jpg'>

I've done it only once but it was a special book for me to go after so I definitely went 'all-in' ~ with the thought process that these opportunities do not come around often so... I pulled the Cap trigger. :cloud9:

In hindsight, I am happy to report that I'm glad I did it.

My big 1st purchase was when I went all out for this book. Paid 'next year's prices' for it at the time but I didn't regret. Out of a very small handful of books, it's still probably the top or 2nd from the top book I'd like to have back.

MarvelMysteryComics9CGC5_0.jpg