• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,408 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, miraclemet said:

saw the movie again this week.

Still loving it. Better chromatography than any other super hero movie i can think of besides TDK. And Killraven is (to me) the second best developed/peformed foil in the MCU unseating Fassbenders Magneto and Molina's Doc Oc. First is still Hiddleston's Loki.

Chromatography.jpg

My wife and I finally got the chance to go see this last night at Regal Theaters. Really like their theaters, as they have those large chairs where you can kick back and feel like you are sitting on the couch.

I really enjoyed this movie. And the character T'Challa is not only a portrayal of strength, but also consistently leaning towards what is right. Even when he is challenged for the crown and is advised to deny Killmonger the chance, he still does what is right based on the traditions and practices of Wakanda.

It's pretty clear why movie-goers appreciate Killmonger so much. His backstory really hits at the emotions when you consider what he had to go through as an abandoned child. But the toughest scene is when he transitions to the Astral Plane to see his father, and the latter realizes what his son has become is far from what he desired for him. As a father, man that was a hard scene to get through.

On 3/5/2018 at 11:14 AM, comix4fun said:

It's entirely possible, depending on perspective. The majority of the Amazons in WW were decidedly one-note. They were badass fighters, so a little 2d in that regard. 

The Dora Milaje was incredibly 3 dimensional and (without hitting spoilers) , in many regards. They had the badass fighter aspect but there was a bit more complexity to them, overall.

I see what you meant about more screen time for the Dora Milaje. There is much more screen time in this movie versus the Amazons in Wonder Woman. Especially with a couple of the main characters that engage with T'Challa throughout the movie. But when it comes to purpose and history, Wonder Woman had much more details behind the Amazons right from the beginning of the movie. Zeus created the Amazons to safeguard the world from the evils of Ares. And in the DC Movie Universe, it is to protect the God Killer for later use against Ares, which turned out to be Diana. With the Dora Milaje, what we see is they serve as Wakanda's army and imperial guard. And with their lack of ability to drive direction in Wakanda, they are shown to be sub-servant to the king. Even when Killmonger is beating T'Challa down, all they can do is stand there and observe because that is what is expected.

With Killmonger as an MCU villain, he is definitely up there with some of the most impressive. Though I would still consider Loki and The Winter Soldier my favorites. But his purpose was very clear due to all his suffering and seeing what impacts former People of Africa the most: overpowering the Colonizers (a nice way of saying countries commonly Caucasian that had involvement in slave trade). So I felt he was more straightforward and driven by hate and hurt. Even when he receives the power of the Black Panther and has the caregivers burn the rest of the Heart-Shaped Herb, it is all about him being the last one to receive such powers and none other going forward. Though I could go either way with his intent being NOBODY should ever be given greater powers over their people like this, and everyone should be given the right of equality. Though he was going to achieve this through force.

Overall, I would place this in the top 10. But I would still start my list with Captain America: The Winter Soldier followed by Guardians of the Galaxy and The Avengers. Where I would place Black Panther after that I still have to think it through. But easily in the Top 10.

Edited by Bosco685

Black Panther roars past $1 billion at the box office

Black Panther has passed the $1 billion dollar mark at the worldwide box office -  just four weeks after its release.

According to Forbes, the film achieved the feat on Friday 9 March, marking another milestone and challenging industry norms about movies with predominantly black casts. The film starring Chadwick Boseman, Lupita Nyong’o and Michael B Jordan is the fifth made by Marvel to hit $1bn, after The Avengers; Avengers: Age of Ultron, Iron Man 3, and Captain America: Civil War. Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige spoke to Entertainment Weekly where he said there “absolutely” will be a Black Panther sequel.

“One of the favorite pastimes at Marvel Studios is sitting around on a Part One and talking and dreaming about what we would do in a Part Two,” he said.

“There have been plenty of those conversations as we were putting together the first Black Panther. We have ideas and a pretty solid direction on where we want to head with the second one."

‘Black Panther’ Crosses $1 Billion at Global Box Office

Marvel’s “Black Panther” continues its record-breaking streak, passing the $1 billion mark at the global box office in just 26 days.

The Ryan Coogler tentpole is the 33rd movie to gross $1 billion. It’s the 16th Disney film to reach this milestone, and the fifth Marvel film to do so — joining the ranks of “The Avengers,” “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” “Iron Man 3,” and “Captain America: Civil War.” “Black Panther” has grossed $521 million domestically, making it the ninth-highest release of all time. In its fourth weekend, “Black Panther” is heading for a $40 million-plus weekend, which would make it the No. 2 superhero release of all time over “The Dark Knight’s” $535 million.

It would also give “Black Panther” the third-highest fourth weekend of all time, taking the title from “The Avengers” with $36.7 million. “Avatar” and “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” currently hold the one and two spots, with $50.3 million and $42.4 million respectively. A 44% drop for the tentpole’s fourth weekend would be on par with its third weekend decline of 41%.

Internationally, “Black Panther” is aiming for the $500 million mark this weekend, thanks to a strong debut in China, where it opened with $20 million in its first day.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I see what you meant about more screen time for the Dora Milaje. There is much more screen time in this movie versus the Amazons in Wonder Woman. Especially with a couple of the main characters that engage with T'Challa throughout the movie. But when it comes to purpose and history, Wonder Woman had much more details behind the Amazons right from the beginning of the movie. Zeus created the Amazons to safeguard the world from the evils of Ares. And in the DC Movie Universe, it is to protect the God Killer for later use against Ares, which turned out to be Diana. With the Dora Milaje, what we see is they serve as Wakanda's army and imperial guard. And with their lack of ability to drive direction in Wakanda, they are shown to be sub-servant to the king. Even when Killmonger is beating T'Challa down, all they can do is stand there and observe because that is what is expected.

I discounted the prologue because it was basically story set up and not so much character exposition or development. It's a quick bit of backup to jump us into Diana's story. Those amazons don't really get their due in the WW film itself, they are very two-dimensional, even the top line actresses compared to Gadot. 

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

I discounted the prologue because it was basically story set up and not so much character exposition or development. It's a quick bit of backup to jump us into Diana's story. Those amazons don't really get their due in the WW film itself, they are very two-dimensional, even the top line actresses compared to Gadot. 

Discount it or not, the prologue is part of the movie. And you see the Amazons interact with one another as warriors just like the Dora Milaje. What continues the Amazon story is Diana IS one of them, so you get a feel for their beliefs and training through her entire story. That we didn't see in Black Panther.

Still two solid movies. no matter what we think or didn't think we saw.

So I didn't catch this in any of the early thread conversations once people went to see the movie.

1) Did Killmonger have the Heart-Shaped Herb burned because he felt only he should have the power, or was it because of his beliefs nobody should have power over others?

2) When Killmonger's father cries on the Astral Plane, was it due to guilt over what his son had become or because he had betrayed Wakanda (or both)?

10 minutes ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

All Time Box Office DOMESTIC GROSSES

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

+Untitled.jpg

The Dark Knight (2008)

- 2008 USD Domestic: $534,858,444

- 2018 USD Domestic: $615,754,346

It's like when Wonder Woman was being compared to Spider-Man as the biggest superhero origin movie. Comparing USD adjusted has a big impact. Which is why paperheart laughed at Forbes' Scott Mendelson for not adjusting appropriately.

2 hours ago, paperheart said:

leaps to #21 all-time WW (unadjusted) at $1.078BB, right behind Dark Knight

OOPS! Sorry. Double-standard.

Edited by Bosco685