• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,408 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, paperheart said:

'Civil War' Scribe Mark Millar Predicts 'Black Panther' Will Make More Than 'Avengers: Infinity War'

I'm inclined to agree.  I think there's a large swath of people who normally don't watch MCU films, but whether due to hype, ethnicity, or what not, came out in numbers to support Black Panther.  They didn't watch what came before it and they probably don't care what will come after it.

34 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I'm inclined to agree.  I think there's a large swath of people who normally don't watch MCU films, but whether due to hype, ethnicity, or what not, came out in numbers to support Black Panther.  They didn't watch what came before it and they probably don't care what will come after it.

+1 if we're strictly talking US; it's already been proven that the demographic that drove WW ($412MM US) didn't blindly rush to see the next movie the character was in (JL $229MM US).  In fact, they stayed away in droves.  AIW has a steep hill to climb to catch BP in the US.  Int'l is a different story. 

43 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

OR the inclusion of new fans from the Black Panther film will add to the number of people waiting to see Avengers: Infinity War and contribute to the box office of the upcoming Avengers movie, since the Infinity War trailers show that the Black Panther and Wakanda will play a significant part in the story.

I guess we will find out.  I suspect Infinity War will be huge, and the success of Black Panther will just add to it.

16 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

OR the inclusion of new fans from the Black Panther film will add to the number of people waiting to see Avengers: Infinity War and contribute to the box office of the upcoming Avengers movie, since the Infinity War trailers show that the Black Panther and Wakanda will play a significant part in the story.

I guess we will find out.  I suspect Infinity War will be huge, and the success of Black Panther will just add to it.

Take this with a grain of salt since it's an extremely insignificant sample size, but from my personal experience speaking with my co-workers, there are a number of people interested in watching Black Panther.  I asked "Why?" because they don't watch superhero films and the response is "I'm curious to see what all the hype is about."  I will then later mention how excited I am for Infinity War and again, the unanimous response is "what's that?"  I guess what I'm saying is my co-workers want to see what the socio-political conversation is as it relates to the movie, plus the hype that this movie is a cultural phenomenon is driving them to theaters.  Infinity War will be hyped, but as an action movie.  Not for any cultural significance.  And as such, they have less motivation to go watch in the theaters.  Some will watch on Netflix, but that's a different set of figures that doesn't factor into the worldwide box office that is so easily digested by media and consumers as a measure of success.

I agree with @paperheart that Infinity War will play better in overseas markets and would estimate a $450M - $500M domestic gross and a 35%/65% US/WW split.  (This is opposed to Black Panther which currently looks on pace for a 50/50 split.  Also note, that all but 3 previous MCU movies had higher international hauls than domestic with Iron Man 1+2 and Hulk being the 3 outliers).

(EDIT: I do accept that there will be some new fans to the MCU as a result of Black Panther, but I don't think it'll drive up Infinity Wars numbers in any significant way.  I think any significant increase will be because it's the culmination (or part 1) of something 10 years in the making as well as people who watch multiple times.  I for one am already planning on watching it twice (which is something I rarely do) assuming it's as good as advertised.)

Edited by ExNihilo

I argued pages ago that Black Panther could/would outdo Infinity War in the U.S.

Here's why -- sequels generally don't do better than the orginals from which they've spawned.

We've seen that with all three of the Star Wars trilogies -- each Chapter 2 did ~70% of Chapter 1.

And Age of Ultron did 73% of The Avengers.

Not saying that Infinity War won't outdo Age of Ultron -- but it's far more likely that Infinity War will finish between Age of Ultron's $540M U.S. and The Avengers' $623M U.S. than it is to finish above $623M.

Black Panther, however, is on track to finish above $600M and *may* finish close to/above $624M.

And yeah -- as someone recently noted, BP's _in_ Infinity War, but it's not like WW's appearance in Justice League helped that film...

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

I argued pages ago that Black Panther could/would outdo Infinity War in the U.S.

Here's why -- sequels generally don't do better than the orginals from which they've spawned.

We've seen that with all three of the Star Wars trilogies -- each Chapter 2 did ~70% of Chapter 1.

And Age of Ultron did 73% of The Avengers.

Not saying that Infinity War won't outdo Age of Ultron -- but it's far more likely that Infinity War will finish between Age of Ultron's $540M U.S. and The Avengers' $623M U.S. than it is to finish above $623M.

Black Panther, however, is on track to finish above $600M and *may* finish close to/above $624M.

And yeah -- as someone recently noted, BP's _in_ Infinity War, but it's not like WW's appearance in Justice League helped that film...

The reason why Infinity War will not beat Black Panther in the domestic box office race is the May release of Deadpool2 (May18th) and SOLO (May25th). There's too much competition.

I'm not sure if the general audience can deal with two super hero movies within three weeks?

Infinity War was moved forward one week (April24th) to give breathing room for the SOLO movie.

In time people will start to realize that there are MCU movies and then there's Black Panther

And I'm not saying that bcs I really enjoyed the movie. In fact it's probably 4th or 5th on my Marvel movies list. 

Its just a whole seperate movie both with story and with demographics

Yeah - and it should cross $550 million domestic by Monday.

Of the six films that have booked $500 million domestic in less than 30 days, none ultimately made less than $615 million domestic.

Black Panther booked $500 million in just 17 days.

Edited by Gatsby77

51 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I went last night and saw it for the first time.  Theater was full. 

I liked the movie, a lot. 

Non-Spoiler Review

Positives -

The music was VERY good, and I thought added a lot, which is unique thus far for a non-Guardians Marvel movie. 

Good use of Daniel Kuluya (sp?), the dude from Get Out.  I wouldn't have minded a bit more from him though in terms of story or backstory.

Everyone loves Shuri and Michionne.

The 'twist' was mild, but still pretty good.

The social context and questions and issues are honestly exciting and refreshing to think about, whether or not you agree with any or all of the arguments or resolutions.

The clothes for Shuri, Tchalla, and Killmonger were pretty rad throughout.  But I think the winner for best dressed was Killmonger.

Negatives -

I thought the opening fight scene was a little hard to follow.

I get that the movie was about the weight of being king and leading a nation, but I could have used a little more humanizing of Tchalla. 

Given that there's a lot of strong women in the movie, the love interest was probably the weakest and least interesting, other than speaking terrible Korean.  Maybe that's so we don't mind when she isn't in BP2 and we get STORM.

Box Office: 'Black Panther' Sprints Past $1 Billion Worldwide

Black Panther earned around $10 million (-39%) on its fourth Friday of release. That sets the stage for a $41.5m fourth weekend gross, enough to A) top the box office for the fourth time in a row and B) snag the third-best fourth weekend gross ever behind The Force Awakens ($42m in 2016) and Avatar ($50m in 2010). If you adjust for inflation, a $42m weekend would be seventh on the list behind only Jurassic Park ($42m adjusted), Spider-Man ($45m adjusted), The Force Awakens ($45m adjusted), The Phantom Menace ($25m in 1999/$46m adjusted), Titanic ($56m adjusted)  and Avatar ($58m adjusted).

Again, that's not bad company. The film has now earned $531.1 million domestic. That means it will pass Rogue One: A Star Wars Story ($532m in 2016/2017) and The Dark Knight ($534m in 2008) to become the seventh-biggest unadjusted domestic grosser of all time. And once it passes The Dark Knight, it'll be the second-biggest comic book superhero flick ever in North America behind only The Avengers ($623m in 2012). And at this juncture, that milestone may well tumble.

By the end of the weekend, Black Panther should have around $561 million in 24 days, giving it the third-biggest 24-day total behind only The Last Jedi ($572m) and The Force Awakens ($812m). Oh, and with $442m overseas (counting the $48.2m in its first two days in China), Black Panther indeed crossed $1 billion worldwide yesterday. It is the 33rd movie to top $1 billion in unadjusted global grosses, including the 16th from Walt Disney and the fifth from the MCU, alongside Avengers, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Iron Man 3 and Captain America: Civil War. And it will pass $500m overseas by tomorrow.

saw the movie again this week.

Still loving it. Better chromatography than any other super hero movie i can think of besides TDK. And Killraven is (to me) the second best developed/peformed foil in the MCU unseating Fassbenders Magneto and Molina's Doc Oc. First is still Hiddleston's Loki.

2 hours ago, miraclemet said:

saw the movie again this week.

Still loving it. Better chromatography than any other super hero movie i can think of besides TDK. And Killraven is (to me) the second best developed/peformed foil in the MCU unseating Fassbenders Magneto and Molina's Doc Oc. First is still Hiddleston's Loki.

Killraven approves this message

05ab43bb317e33361ef3e688d811c672.jpg

Black Panther Vol. 1: A Nation Under Our Feet topping the reordered TPB/GN chart with 8 other BP TPB following right behind it

http://blog.comichron.com/2018/03/black-panther-continues-reorder-chart.html

Black Panther's command of the reorder lists only increased last week, with nine softcover and hardcover books among the top books that comics shops reordered from Diamond Comic Distributors. That's up from seven the week before.