• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

So it's not that anyone cares or goes & sees Avengers because they finally get to see Cap and Iron Man on the screen, but more because like T-2 was back in the 90's, it's a big movie with a large audience appeal & really freaking good. The comic-loving audience for these movies is probably less than 10% (and even that's probably generous) and relatively minimal on its $$ impact.

This is a fair point, as those that make these movies massive financial successes are the general audience. Although little Deadpool sure experienced the hobby love in the end.

But do these superhero movies then just become formulaic in approach where there is a clear hero and clear villain, with a whole bunch of action in the middle?

Part of why I still love Spider-Man 2 is the tragic figure of Doc Ock, and how true to life the story was. The average person doesn't just wake up one day and state, "TIME TO DO SOME KILLING!' That 'one bad day' impact leads to decisions and actions that puts them at odds with our hero.

I still don't understand your point.

Regardless of how much money Marvel spent on CW it will still have at least the 4th best multiplier of all their movies so far, the the fourth $1B grosser (and fourth highest overall), the highest grossing Cap movie (third in the franchise) and successfully set up not one but two future franchises with well received characters in this movie (Spider man and Black Panther). The movie succeeded in literally everything it wanted to accomplish from both a financial and creative standpoint. To suggest anything otherwise just looks like sour grapes. (shrug)

-J.

You get the point. You may not want to get the point. That's the difference.

As far as sour grapes - over what? That I watch and enjoy both Marvel (Marvel Studios and Fox) and DC movies? Sounds like you are trying to hunt for something not there.

Jaydogrules does have a point.

Civil War is a financial & critical success.

I feel you have a negative attitude towards Civil War...I don't know why?

I wouldn't agree with you. Bosco's been full of praise for CW.

The funny thing is, I don't think Bosco685 collects comics!

Really? Based on what? What superior analytical skills have you applied with this deduction? Other than a here-or-there smart-aleck comment about just 'being from Canada' or 'Marvel Rules'.

(:

Calm down.

I just asked if you collect comics.

Calm down.

Probably more than you even realize from this question. Although whether I collect comics or not and yet enjoy superhero movies has what value in the discussion?

Part of why I still love Spider-Man 2 is the tragic figure of Doc Ock, and how true to life the story was. The average person doesn't just wake up one day and state, "TIME TO DO SOME KILLING!' That 'one bad day' impact leads to decisions and actions that puts them at odds with our hero.

Spider-Man 2 is so full of greatness!

I dont think it's fatigue (internal to the Marvel U) but more along the lines of it is no long novel

Remember when just seeing a screen cap of a frame in the Iron Man movie that MIGHT be Cap's shield created huge buzz? That doesnt happen any more. It's not fatigue. It's just not novel any more.

And once we got the experience of the Avengers the first time, well it's never going to be the first time again. It's not fatigue, its just not the same as that first experience.

So the question is, what is the next game-changer? Marvel turned over the game, and now they have to figure out what is the next way to excite the market...

AMEN!

That is the point. And a very fair assessment of what could be going on here. The new and unique WOW factor starts to get less WOW over time because it is the norm now.

But as crowded as Infinity War is sounding like, having a story spread over two films with a massive threat like Thanos could be the new 'Avengers' or 'Star Wars' to re-energize people to being amazed again with new experiences. Though the new Thor is sure sounding like something special from the cookie crumbs being tossed out.

:wishluck:

Spider-Man 2 is so full of greatness!

And the way Doc Ock goes back to his true nature of being a good guy that was driven by the wrong motivation - and saves the city from destruction by going down with the fusion reactor.

:cloud9:

What a movie!

Calm down.

Probably more than you even realize from this question. Although whether I collect comics or not and yet enjoy superhero movies has what value in the discussion?

If you don't collect comics, why are you on the CGC message boards.

To be honest,

I prefer the old CGC labels.

How about you?

I use Deadpool as an example precisely because of how successful it was, and especially because that revenue ratio number is so impressive. Every studio would love that 13x ratio, but I'm fairly certain they would prefer a 5x ratio and an extra 200-300 million in their pockets instead. Of course, in the end we are nitpicking success vs success(or SvS, if you prefer).

Quite true.

By the way, I'm a big Bosco fan, and extremely appreciative of all the effort he puts forth and insight he brings to the boards. Just wanted to share another perspective. :smile:

:foryou:

Calm down.

To be honest,

How about you?

You're confused. This is the TV-movie-game section of the boards. Take that noise to Comics General.

:baiting:

No, no, no we can't lose Bosco. I love his charts!

Where did Bosco go?

(:

We heard you were quitting to go head up the DCCU. :insane:

Seriously though, I love getting the scoop on all this stuff and appreciate all you do here. Charts and graphs are cool, but I really love all the links to rumors and stuff you post.

Revenue ratio is nowhere near as important as profit though. It's an interesting stat, definitely worthy of discussion and analysis, but every studio in the universe would prefer an Age of Ultron to a Deadpool.

Don't get me wrong, Deadpool was an amazing success, but AoU grossed nearly twice as much of the sweet, sweet cabbage when all is said and done. And yes, I realize Marvel sees a smaller percentage of profit from certain international markets like China, but they still made a much greater profit at the end of the day.

Additionally, Marvel makes four-quadrant blockbusters that even my grandparents pay to see in theaters. So even when the profit margin is less(pretty easy to guesstimate Civil War's final numbers, and you could definitely argue that Deadpool will make almost as much profit with far less risk), their global empire expands thanks to the goodwill created for Black Panther, Spidey, and Ant-Man. Sure, they spent more money on a bigger budget, but they will be reaping the rewards for years to come. Marvel Studios films simply appeal to a broader range of people.

I use Deadpool as an example precisely because of how successful it was, and especially because that revenue ratio number is so impressive. Every studio would love that 13x ratio, but I'm fairly certain they would prefer a 5x ratio and an extra 200-300 million in their pockets instead. Of course, in the end we are nitpicking success vs success(or SvS, if you prefer).

By the way, I'm a big Bosco fan, and extremely appreciative of all the effort he puts forth and insight he brings to the boards. Just wanted to share another perspective. :smile:

I totally agree. :applause:

Calm down.

To be honest,

How about you?

I know it's off topic, but I've got to say that kitty in your avatar pic is so adorable. I say aww! every time I see it. What's his/her name?

Calm down.

To be honest,

How about you?

Your logic is intriguing.