• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

All I know is that Thanos better be killin' folks.

Lots of folks.

Actually, from a story direction this does seem to be the natural path. Anything else would detract from all that wonderful buildup.

:ohnoez:

Thanos is not a compelling villain/character if all he does is commit genocide.

But it's not that simple - he does it out of his twisted love for Death, which I would argue adds an impressive layer of depth if explored correctly.

But it's not that simple - he does it out of his twisted love for Death, which I would argue adds an impressive layer of depth if explored correctly.

Which is why I said 'if all he does is commit genocide.'

Genocide of Love

Sounds like an old Whitesnake song.

Genocide of Love

Sounds like an old Whitesnake song.

Must be terrible then.

So wiping out the human race isn't compelling, but killing a bunch of Avengers is?

Of course - they can engage in all of those colourful fisticuffs that we all like.

CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR Blu-Ray Cover Art And Special Features Revealed; DOCTOR STRANGE Preview Confirmed

n0b5Fuf.png

A copy of the Captain America: Civil War Blu-ray was on display at the Disney Holiday Preview event held in New York City today, and thanks to Stitch Kingdom, we have a breakdown of the special features which will be included on the disc.

On the plus side, we're getting an audio commentary from the movie's writers and directors and a new look at Doctor Strange! Expect more details on those deleted scenes nearer the time of release.

• United We Stand, Divided We Fall — The Making of Captain America: Civil War – Part 1 & 2 – From skinny volunteer to backbone of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, chart Captain America’s journey through every decisive moment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe in this complete behind-the-scenes look at a landmark in the Marvel saga.
  • Captain America: The Road to Civil War — Explore the First Avenger’s fascinating evolution from loyal soldier to seasoned, conflicted hero who questions authority.
  • Iron Man: The Road to Civil War — Tony Stark’s path has been no less epic or transformative than that of his friend and ally, Steve Rogers.
  • Open Your Mind: Marvel’s Doctor Strange — Exclusive Sneak Peek — Go behind and beyond the scenes as Doctor Strange makes his journey to the big screen.
  • Audio Commentary — With Directors Anthony and Joe Russo and the screenwriters.
  • Gag Reel
  • Deleted and Extended Scenes

team%2Bcap.jpg

Finally got to see this movie today. I liked it!

I didn't see Zemo as some pushover villain. His entire plan came together in the end, at the sacrifice of himself (though he was stopped from taking his own life). Even calling his wife's voice recording to keep his anger going. I'm not sure why people said he came across as lame when he had a clear purpose, a strong reason for his hate of superheroes, and a successful plan to pit them against each other.

Now as far as Tony and Steve reconciling one day leading to The Avengers assembling, I don't see how that would happen knowing what we know now about Tony's parents. Even if The Winter Soldier was not in control of his own actions. Murdering someone's parents seems like a done deal on a relationship. Especially if you then defend the murderer.

I'd rank this in my Top Four of Marvel Studios films. I still like The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy more, and The Avengers still has a special place in pulling together a massive cast so expertly.

8.5/10.0 for me.

I didn't see Zemo as some pushover villain. His entire plan came together in the end, at the sacrifice of himself (though he was stopped from taking his own life). Even calling his wife's voice recording to keep his anger going. I'm not sure why people said he came across as lame when he had a clear purpose, a strong reason for his hate of superheroes, and a successful plan to pit them against each other.

Now as far as Tony and Steve reconciling one day leading to The Avengers assembling, I don't see how that would happen knowing what we know now about Tony's parents. Even if The Winter Soldier was not in control of his own actions. Murdering someone's parents seems like a done deal on a relationship. Especially if you then defend the murderer.

I'd rank this in my Top Four of Marvel Studios films. I still like The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy more, and The Avengers still has a special place in pulling together a massive cast so expertly.

8.5/10.0 for me.

I concur with this review.

8.5/10.0 for me.

I concur with this review.

double concur, though I might give Iron Man 1 an 8.6 and put it just above this one.

Counterpoint:

Zemo's "plan" only works because the heroes are already at each other's throats because of the Crossbones incident and the Sokovia accords. In fact, since his plan is just to get them to fight each other, he is completely irrelevant to the plot in some ways because they are already fighting amongst themselves before he even shows up in the movie.

He also could have accomplished the entire plan simply by emailing Tony Stark the video instead of jumping through hoops with that ridiculously elaborate ruse to get people to chase him to Siberia. It's random luck that Iron Man was even there; what would Zemo have done if only Cap and Winter Soldier showed up? The big reveal would have fallen flat since they both already knew the content of the video.

I liked the movie overall, but I thought it had some serious issues.

Counterpoint:

Zemo's "plan" only works because the heroes are already at each other's throats because of the Crossbones incident and the Sokovia accords. In fact, since his plan is just to get them to fight each other, he is completely irrelevant to the plot in some ways because they are already fighting amongst themselves before he even shows up in the movie.

He also could have accomplished the entire plan simply by emailing Tony Stark the video instead of jumping through hoops with that ridiculously elaborate ruse to get people to chase him to Siberia. It's random luck that Iron Man was even there; what would Zemo have done if only Cap and Winter Soldier showed up? The big reveal would have fallen flat since they both already knew the content of the video.

I liked the movie overall, but I thought it had some serious issues.

I think with many of these stories all the action and drama would be missing if the villain jumped right to the heart of their intent. So you are right. Zemo could have gone for the quick win, and achieved his goal immediately.

But maybe part of his plan was to cause their extended suffering like he was having to deal with. Anyone that calls a recording of their dead wife on the phone just to keep his twisted motives fresh sure isn't going for the fast delivery.

So this is coming home to Blu ray on September 13th. Preorders are now available.

Yup!

CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR Blu-Ray Cover Art And Special Features Revealed; DOCTOR STRANGE Preview Confirmed

n0b5Fuf.png

A copy of the Captain America: Civil War Blu-ray was on display at the Disney Holiday Preview event held in New York City today, and thanks to Stitch Kingdom, we have a breakdown of the special features which will be included on the disc.

On the plus side, we're getting an audio commentary from the movie's writers and directors and a new look at Doctor Strange! Expect more details on those deleted scenes nearer the time of release.

• United We Stand, Divided We Fall — The Making of Captain America: Civil War – Part 1 & 2 – From skinny volunteer to backbone of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, chart Captain America’s journey through every decisive moment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe in this complete behind-the-scenes look at a landmark in the Marvel saga.
  • Captain America: The Road to Civil War — Explore the First Avenger’s fascinating evolution from loyal soldier to seasoned, conflicted hero who questions authority.
  • Iron Man: The Road to Civil War — Tony Stark’s path has been no less epic or transformative than that of his friend and ally, Steve Rogers.
  • Open Your Mind: Marvel’s Doctor Strange — Exclusive Sneak Peek — Go behind and beyond the scenes as Doctor Strange makes his journey to the big screen.
  • Audio Commentary — With Directors Anthony and Joe Russo and the screenwriters.
  • Gag Reel
  • Deleted and Extended Scenes

team%2Bcap.jpg

Cap3 is still bringing in decent domestic numbers for a movie in its ninth week. Though it still trails Iron Man 3 by $87.95 MM based on inflation adjusted USD ($67.3 MM same-year USD).

JNDT9cv.png

jdCeCH8.png

The Chinese box office delivered a massive contribution at $190.4 MM. Even when you look back at Age of Ultron, that movie achieved $240.1 MM. And when looking at the standalone Winter Soldier, that film achieved $115 MM.

I wonder what that would have done for the Deadpool film if it had been allowed.

Frank Grillo Teases More Crossbones After Captain America: Civil War

For those of you who think Crossbones bit it in Captain America: Civil War, it might be time to think again. In a recent interview, actor Frank Grillo teased fans by questioning whether or not his character was really dead.

Grillo isn’t sure if Crossbones died in the explosion. Speaking with ABC News, the actor said, “You think he dies, don't you? Did you see the body?” Smiling, Grillo later asked, “What did you see?”

Grillo even referenced Crossbone's uncanny ability to survive, saying, “That happened last time. I'm not saying anything except that...you didn't see a body.”