• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

Superman flies by altering his "personal" gravity field?

Is this the official explanation? I've always wondered. Not just about Superman, but about several people who can fly.

I realize there are "explanations" for some. Like Storm can summon wind to keep her afloat. Jean Grey isn't so much "flying" as she is just carrying herself telekinetically. Magneto is manipulating the metal in his suit to levitate.

But what about Rogue? Ms. Marvel? Wonder Woman? Any of these other heroes that can fly "just because"?

Is this the official explanation? ...

Superman flies because he's Superman! I agree with Unca Ben... the pseudo science is fun, until it stops being just that. The problem is, it was retroactively engineered to explain why comic book heroes could do the things they do. For example, Superman could fly years before he had a "personal mono-directional gravity field". Because of this, there will always be flaws.

I figured Ant-Man was like DC's Atom with the ability to control both his size & weight.

Personally I don't get some of these discussions (although they may be fun - but that's about it).

Thor throws a hammer, holds on to the thong, and flies behind it?

The Hulk and other super strength characters commonly lift massive objects and the objects' structural integrity doesn't give?

I get the feeling if one were able to lift an aircraft carrier, or other such thing, the frame would bend beyond the breaking point and the superstructure(s) would collapse.

And so on and so on...

I work with a suspension of disbelief when it comes to enjoying these characters and their feats.

The pseudo-science needed to "explain" their abilities is just that - fun, fluffy stuff to talk about, and harmless; unless one starts to take it too seriously.

my ½¢ :)

Aye - trying to find logic in comic book super heroes is sucking all the joy out of the concept.

The Hulk and other super strength characters commonly lift massive objects and the objects' structural integrity doesn't give?

Reed Richards actually ponders this in Fantastic Four #250 when Gladiator attacks them.

Namor flies cause his ankle wings flap really fast

I love Namor, but WHY does he have wings on his ankles????? I always thought that was pretty dumb. If the wings on his ankles are responsible for his flight, do you realize how much bigger they would have to be? He would need Cankles to support the large wings.

Imagine putting Namors ankle wings on the back of the Angel.

I love Namor, but WHY does he have wings on his ankles????? I always thought that was pretty dumb. If the wings on his ankles are responsible for his flight, do you realize how much bigger they would have to be? He would need Cankles to support the large wings.

I figure when Bill Everett designed his character back in the late 1930's he was inspired by motifs depicting Greek and Roman gods.

Namor being Roman spelled backwards and the Greek god Hermes / Roman god Mercury - also where the golden age Flash derived his helmet:

163103.jpg.28a50575af69d4f9231d70ee249bf5a7.jpg

I always thought that the wings were pretty cool?

Reed Richards actually ponders this in Fantastic Four #250 when Gladiator attacks them.

Was this when Gladiator lifted the Baxter Building? If I'm not mistaken, they said it was Shi'ar technology that allowed the building to hold together. Convenient! :idea:

I believe Superman is able to extend his personal force field to surround objects he's lifting so they don't crumble under their own weight. This is the same force field that came about when people asked why Superman's suit never gets bullet holes in it when he's shot.

Some of the stuff is a little mind-boggling (and often highly preposterous), but I wouldn't say thinking about "superhero science" sucks the fun out of this portion of the hobby. I have a good time thinking about and discussing with others how superhero physics and real-world physics match up.

To bring it back to Civil War, there was a brief moment that made me think "was that reasonable/possible?" It was near the beginning when Cap and crew and chasing down Crossbones. At one point, Cap runs up and kicks the front end of a truck, making the truck slide into an enemy combatant. Despite Cap's considerable strength, this struck me as impossible (amidst all the crazy fantasy stuff in the movie that I had no problem accepting. :insane: ) I found even the motorcycle flip from Age of Ultron to be more believable convincing myself that a combination of Cap's strength, the terrain, and momentum would make that maneuver possible.

But who cares, really? It's all in fun. I love these movies!

I always thought that the wings were pretty cool?

Visually they're pretty cool, I'll give you that. But as a means of flight...... no.

Do any other Atlanteans have wings on their ankles? I know Namor is half human and half Atlantean, but where do the wings come from?

I could be wrong, but I believe Namor is also a mutant. The wings are a byproduct of that mutation.

I thought I read that somewhere, but I'm not 100%.

On the issue of super strength & structural integrity:

Many years ago, when Joe Casey wrote the Mr. Majestic series for Wildstorm, the one story involved an invading armada that was more-or-less looking for our solar system based on a star map & solar system map, so Majestic, knowing he was unable to defeat them, opted for an out-of-the-box solution: rearranging the solar system so that it didn't match the map that an invading armada was using. To do so & make sure the planets held together as he physically towed them into different arrangements, he built some super-powerful gravity-field gloves or something of the sort.

It was a very silver-age type story but with some modern sensibilities used to not just be straight camp.

I could be wrong, but I believe Namor is also a mutant. The wings are a byproduct of that mutation.

I thought I read that somewhere, but I'm not 100%.

Flying makes almost the least sense of any of the powers, unless there's some type of propulsion or manipulation of air density. Its one thing to float, but another entirely to go faster, slower, or change directions out of nowhere.

Better not to think about it.

I was in China last week, so I thought I'd show off some of the Civil War Merchandising I saw....

IMG_6096_zpsrtbqjhc9.jpg

hard drives, lights, necklaces, usb's, fans, chargers, key chains, etc. lot of cool stuff.

here's a close up of the fans

IMG_6097_zpsumtbalvg.jpg

But importantly, it was Dragonboat Festival time, when Chinese people generally eat 'zhong zi' or 'doong', which is a sticky rice thingy wrapped in leaves then steamed....If you have any Chinese friends, you should show them this next item:

IMG_6087_zpsygp02qxa.jpg

IMG_6088_zpsnpohvzzn.jpg

IMG_6089_zpsuwbdq2sl.jpg

yes I ate it, and it was awful

It was a 39.4% drop, which at Week 8 when comparing to other Marvel Studios movies is not a bad place to be.

L7vyrtw.png

CjGhUzo.png

TIWOv0c.png

fizzled fairly quickly after the huge opening. can't see it getting to IM3 #'s domestically. #1 in US until Dory swims past. A- box office performance.