• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

So far, it is not going to play like a Disney princess movie for Japan. But still in a good spot.

FORBES.COM: 'Wonder Woman' Nabs Promising Japan Debut

Also in Wonder Woman news, the Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc. film made its debut in its final territory, namely Japan. As is often the case, this big Hollywood offering opened in Japan way after it had played everywhere else. And it earned $3.5M in its opening weekend. That’s not a barn-burning debut, but it is right between Batman v Superman ($3.3M) and Suicide Squad ($3.8M), both of which ended up with around $16M by the time they wrapped up.

Of note, it is double the opening weekends of Captain America and Thor, while it was 86% bigger than Captain America: The Winter Soldier and 84% larger than Ant-Man. Oh, and it was 19% bigger than Man of Steel and 11% bigger than Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, although I think WB wants more than those films' respective $10m totals. So, no, it's probably not going to play like Maleficent or Moana. But it's a decent start in a territory where opening weekend doesn't always tell the whole story. And it has now earned $806.2m worldwide.

So the next weekend should be telling how Japan is receiving Wonder Woman.

Looks like there was a major local release at the Japanese box office that detracted from the Wonder Woman initial release. But it definitely pulled in the female audience.

Japan Box Office: ‘Sekigahara’ Wins Weekend Ahead of ‘Wonder Woman’

“Sekigahara,” the Masato Harada-directed epic about the battle that in 1,600 changed the course of Japanese history, debuted atop the Japanese box office for the Aug. 26-27 weekend. Bowing on 360 screens with Toho and Asmik Ace co-distributing, the film earned $3.6 million on 312,000 admissions. Starring Koji Yakusho and Junichi Okada as opposing generals in the battle, “Sekigahara” is expected to finish with some $30 million.

Second highest ranking among new chart entries, at number two in earnings, was Warner’s new release, “Wonder Woman” opened on 596 screens, and claimed second spot by earnings, with $2.4 million on 182,000 admissions. In three days it took $3.4 million, drawing the sort of young female fans who seldom show at Hollywood comic book films.

On 8/29/2017 at 9:14 AM, kimik said:

Looking at how weak the slate of films is for this coming long weekend, will there be more theatres added? 

I don't see that happening the film came out on digital download now, but will possibly stay around the same number of theaters because nothing comes out til next week. I think It would have been fantastic release for this weekend 

On 8/27/2017 at 7:07 AM, Callaway29 said:

I'm very late to the party but saw WW last night. Now I get what all the fuss is about... My girlfriend even said if she were to ever sleep with a girl, it would now be gal gadot lol...

Who was it before?

Those extra theaters seem to be paying off. Last week's daily average was $129.3K. This week's average jumped to $206.4K. The international box office hasn't been updated since Monday. So the weekend's details will be interesting.

UogN6Qj.png

17 hours ago, kimik said:

I would love to see this hit $412-$415 domestically somehow. I think that is a stretch, but that would be awesome.

Is that a stretch Mendelson just predicted  the film will be at 409 million at the end of Labor Day weekend including Monday. I think the film will will be at 408.9 myself based on early numbers myself. With the film passing Iron Man 3 on Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest.

What is clear with the exception of It predicted to do 60 million next weekend no other major competition comes out until the heavy packed week of September 22nd. As a result of the lackluster August I actually think It with great early reviews will do around 100 million that weekend. Word of mouth is great on every site I have been on.

Keeping this stuff in mind WW could be at 412 million be the end of its run. Cause simply we don't know where to judge where this film is going to finish because of weird things happening to this film like the second gust of wind by adding more theaters. How many theaters is this film going to be pulled from when It comes out?

Even Mendelson thought Iron Man 3 was out of reach for quite awhile. Obviously the Digital media release is barely touching the numbers.

19 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Is that a stretch Mendelson just predicted  the film will be at 409 million at the end of Labor Day weekend including Monday. I think the film will will be at 408.9 myself based on early numbers myself. With the film passing Iron Man 3 on Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest.

What is clear with the exception of It predicted to do 60 million next weekend no other major competition comes out until the heavy packed week of September 22nd. As a result of the lackluster August I actually think It with great early reviews will do around 100 million that weekend. Word of mouth is great on every site I have been on.

Keeping this stuff in mind WW could be at 412 million be the end of its run. Cause simply we don't know where to judge where this film is going to finish because of weird things happening to this film like the second gust of wind by adding more theaters. How many theaters is this film going to be pulled from when It comes out?

Even Mendelson thought Iron Man 3 was out of reach for quite awhile. Obviously the Digital media release is barely touching the numbers.

It was an incredible Friday result after all this time. Adding those theaters made a big difference!

I don't think Forbes.com's Scott Mendelson said the goal was out-of-reach weeks ago. He did say it was a potential. But it was assumed to be the last potential goal Wonder Woman would cross. Incredible!