• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Only $2.2MM from $400MM domestic. Not sure it is going to break that barrier this weekend. But very close!

7qWmNcJ.jpg

The film had a pretty drastic drop compared to the previous week during the weekdays. The one thing that is clear is that this film will finish around 399.4 million this weekend. Comparing this film to Spidey at this point is hard to say if it will beAt that film. Spidey did suffer a major drop this upcoming weekdays in a side by side comparison. So WW can still catch up the one thing that is clear for me the announcement of the BluRay has stopped me from seeing this film again.

4 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

The film had a pretty drastic drop compared to the previous week during the weekdays. The one thing that is clear is that this film will finish around 399.4 million this weekend. Comparing this film to Spidey at this point is hard to say if it will beAt that film. Spidey did suffer a major drop this upcoming weekdays in a side by side comparison. So WW can still catch up the one thing that is clear for me the announcement of the BluRay has stopped me from seeing this film again.

I'm not sure about 'drastic drop' compared to last week. It seems like normal weekly drop-off. Friday-to-Friday drop was -32.2% compared to the previous Friday's drop was -22.6 which was aggressively low. You know what I mean?

So when it starts experiencing normal drop-off, it's hard to call that drastic.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

I'm not sure about 'drastic drop' compared to last week. It seems like normal weekly drop-off. Friday-to-Friday drop was -32.2% compared to the previous Friday's drop was -22.6 which was aggressively low. You know what I mean?

So when it starts experiencing normal drop-off, it's hard to call that drastic.

I said weekday not weekend

DEADLINE: ‘Wonder Woman’ Jumping Past $400M After Becoming Summer’s Top-Grossing Pic, 2nd Best Of 2017

She’s not done yet. After becoming the highest-grossing film of the summer and the second-highest of the year, Warner Bros./DC’s Wonder Woman will cross the $400M mark at the domestic box office on Monday, becoming one of 19 titles to clock in that range on the all-time U.S/Canada chart. Worldwide she stands north of $794M, nearing $800M.

By Sunday, Wonder Woman is expected to reach $399.4M with $2.2M in her 10th weekend at 1,307 venues. Next B.O. target for Wonder Woman? Overtaking Sony’s Spider-Man 3 ($403.7M) and maybe even last summer’s Disney/Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War ($408M).

In a depressed summer box office, Wonder Woman has been the top draw, and despite opening lower than Disney/Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.  2., $103.2M to $146.5M, she has posted a near 3.9 multiple, which is higher than most superhero films - including Doctor Strange (2.7x) Captain America: Civil War (2.2x), Suicide Squad (2.4x), and Batman v. Superman (2x).

FORBES.COM: 'Wonder Woman' Nears $400M

I’ll have to wait until tomorrow (or Tuesday) to drop that “Yippee, Wonder Woman is over $400 million!” post.

The Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc. blockbuster will end the weekend just under $400m domestic, but it still fell only 29% for a $2.36M tenth weekend and $399.6M domestic total. And no, despite what you’ve heard thanks to overzealous Time Warner Inc. pronouncements, it’s not quite over $800m worldwide yet. That’ll happen at the end of the month right before/after it opens in Japan.

So right on the edge of $400M domestic. Incredible! Something I never expected to see.

Box-Office Milestone: 'Wonder Woman' Crosses $400M in North America

Wonder Woman muscled past the $400 million mark Tuesday at the domestic box office — an increasingly difficult feat for any film to achieve in North America.

The femme-centric superhero tentpole, starring Gal Gadot, has smashed a number of records since first hitting theaters in early June, including becoming the top-grossing live-action film of all time from a female helmer, with more than $795 million in global grosses.

More recently, Wonder Woman became the top grossing title of summer 2017 in North America and the No. 2 film of the year domestically behind another female-led movie, Disney's Beauty and the Beast ($504 million). In North America, Wonder Woman has enjoyed the best hold of any superhero in decades, or 3.8 times its opening gross of $103.3 million, besting the first Spider-Man in 2002. 

1 minute ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Funny since we are still waiting for box office numbers for today. WW over performed Monday so it is going to pass that Mark today, but still it has not happened yet

Are you assuming studio execs are not getting those numbers early, and they are sitting waiting for the analytic sites to publish after-the-fact?

Based on Monday's results, not even accounting for any domestic results from today.

- $172K from $400M domestic

- $5.6M from $400M international

- $5.77M from $800M worldwide

AhGCgAs.jpg

Remaining release dates:

- Japan: 25 August 2017

Gal Gadot Reaches out to Hilary Clinton Following Recent Wonder Woman Screening

kFnbsb0.jpg

This past weekend, Hillary and Bill Clinton attended a special screening of Wonder Woman at the Alamo Drafthouse in Brooklyn, New York and the film's star hopes they enjoyed it.

Gal Gadot reached out to the Clintons on Twitter today after learning of the private screening.

"I hope you enjoyed watching the film!" Gadot wrote, tagging both the former President and former Presidential candidate.

Hey Bosco --- I saw a stat that I hadn't seen before, which might be one that you have the data to track.

For each movie, take the opening weekend number and see how many multiples are earned after the opening dollars.  This seems to indicate audience approval and good word-of-mouth.

Here are the Top 13 movies of 2017 ranked by their "POM" (Post-Opening Multiplier):

4.26    Get Out
2.87    Wonder Woman
2.48    The Boss Baby
2.34    Despicable Me 3
2.32    The LEGO Batman Movie
1.88    Beauty and the Beast (2017)
1.75    Kong: Skull Island
1.75    Cars 3
1.72    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
1.65    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
1.56    Logan
1.53    Spider-Man: Homecoming
1.29    The Fate of the Furious

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

Hey Bosco --- I saw a stat that I hadn't seen before, which might be one that you have the data to track.

For each movie, take the opening weekend number and see how many multiples are earned after the opening dollars.  This seems to indicate audience approval and good word-of-mouth.

Here are the Top 13 movies of 2017 ranked by their "POM" (Post-Opening Multiplier):

4.26    Get Out
2.87    Wonder Woman
2.48    The Boss Baby
2.34    Despicable Me 3
2.32    The LEGO Batman Movie
1.88    Beauty and the Beast (2017)
1.75    Kong: Skull Island
1.75    Cars 3
1.72    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
1.65    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
1.56    Logan
1.53    Spider-Man: Homecoming
1.29    The Fate of the Furious

Good callout. I've actually been considering this since it comes up so often now. Especially with the big hits.

9 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

By the way, it's official!

iZryiuh.png

Iron Man 3 (2013): $409M domestic

Captain America Civil War (2016): $408.1M domestic

I would have bet anything this movie wouldn't have sniffed 350M let alone 400M back in June. Amazing the impact this movie has had.

21 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Good callout. I've actually been considering this since it comes up so often now. Especially with the big hits.

I don't really see that as a good list myself. Some of those films have much higher budgets so word of mouth really wouldn't effect a film like B and B as much in what the final ratio will be domestically times budget. I think the better option to see is the drop off for the second weekend barring that the film was a limited release at first that got a wider release 

Edited by reddwarf666222

30 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

By the way, it's official!

iZryiuh.png

Iron Man 3 (2013): $409M domestic

Captain America Civil War (2016): $408.1M domestic

It's not official by those numbers that is Monday's numbers. What are Tuesday's numbers? Usually Tuesday outperforms Monday 

Edited by reddwarf666222

1 hour ago, reddwarf666222 said:

It's not official by those numbers that is Monday's numbers. What are Tuesday's numbers? Usually Tuesday outperforms Monday 

Monday was a holiday in some provinces here in Canada, which is why I believe the BO did so well. It's quite possible that Tuesday pulled in the same amount.