• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

FORBES.COM: 'Wonder Woman' Soars Past 'Spider-Man,' And 'Iron Man 3' May Be Next

Wonder Woman earned a mere $130,000 yesterday, a drop of just 26% from last Monday, to bring its domestic total up to $404.131 million. The Gal Gadot/Chris Pine superhero movie has now made more in North America than Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man ($403.7m in 2002 sans 3D), meaning it is the seventh-biggest comic book movie ever and the biggest non-sequel comic book/superhero movie of all time. Even adjusted for inflation, it’s only behind Spider-Man, Superman: The Movie and Batman. Oh, and it didn’t even need Japan to cross the $800m mark worldwide, so now whatever it makes it Japan is arguably gravy. But as it wraps up in North America, the only current question left is whether it can find an extra $5m before it exits theaters.

To wit, with $404M, it is the 23rd-biggest grossing movie of all time in North America. Should it find an extra $5M, it will [pass] The Hunger Games ($408M in 2012 sans 3D), [pass] Captain America: Civil War ($408M in 2016) and finally [pass] Iron Man 3 ($409M in 2013). That’s a tall order considering it just had a $130k Monday gross and made just $1.092m over its 12th weekend. But said weekend was down just 24%, the lowest drop in the top-20 save for the expansions.

It’s losing screens for sure - down to just 803 theaters - but the loss of theaters and the various new movies aren’t making a dent in the film’s week-to-week declines. As noted before, that’s what’s been most impressive about the film’s run. Week in and week out, no matter the screen drops or the other films in the marketplace, the Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc. release has acted like it was the only major movie in town. Logic dictates that it only has around $2-3 million left in the tank, but Wonder Woman has been fond of disavowing logical box office patterns.

I think the thing that may impact any further large Domestic bumps is the Digital HD release on August 29th (next Tuesday). So if anything is going to send this sky-high, it is going to be Japan if it perceives Wonder Woman like a Disney princess movie. Which is what the analyst sites have been banking on. We shall see.

1 minute ago, kagenish said:

when was the last time international numbers were updated

8/20 was the last update. The analytics sites have been slowing down on updating International Box Office numbers (updates like 2-3 times weekly).

All it needs is less than $4M to break the $400M international barrier. It should far exceed that number, based on other movies ($12M-$13M or more).

Remaining release dates:

- Japan: 25 August 2017

-----------------------------------

Japanese Box Office (superhero origin movies):

- Ant-Man: $9.7M

- Deadpool: $18.9M

- Doctor Strange: $16.4M

- Guardians: $9.5M

- Man of Steel: $9M

- Suicide Squad: $15.6M

-----------------------------------

'Wonder Woman' Returning To IMAX For Limited Run

Wonder Woman is nearing the close of its box office run, but fans now have one more chance to see it on an even bigger screen.

The celebrated DCEU film is returning to IMAX for a special one-day showing. IMAX made the announcement with the following caption: "She's back! This Friday, #WonderWoman returns to select IMAX theatres. Find what's playing near you: http://imax.com/theatres ."

From the looks of things, the film seems to be showing at a bevy of locations, so if you want one more chance to see it again on the big screen, now is your chance.

1 minute ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Any thoughts on how that will effect the box office for WW this weekend. Will it be a rare occasion a big budget film does more this week than the previous week?

Hard to say. Though being a Friday versus earlier in the week, it gives the movie a chance to go much higher than the $124K range on average.

Although still needing $3.9M to break the $400M international box office barrier, still sitting pretty worldwide. Japan numbers will take more than the weekend to start reflecting in the international total. It should be interesting.

2UAj7Ml.png

Remaining release dates:

- Japan: 25 August 2017

20 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Hard to say. Though being a Friday versus earlier in the week, it gives the movie a chance to go much higher than the $124K range on average.

I'm reading some sources predict 2.5 mil this week and because the film will be added to over a thousand more screens domestically.

34 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

I'm reading some sources predict 2.5 mil this week and because the film will be added to over a thousand more screens domestically.

Ahhhh. I see what you mean.

Box Office: James Cameron Did 'Wonder Woman' A Huge Favor

Wonder Woman ended its 84th day of release with $404.5M in North America grosses. This weekend is noteworthy for two reasons. First, it’s opening in Japan today so we may have a decent idea of whether it plays like a conventional comic book superhero movie ($15m-$20m) or something akin to a Disney princess melodrama (think Maleficent or Moana) with a much larger potential upside. And the other occasion is that it will celebrate the end of the summer season by adding 1,000 “new” IMAX auditoriums as part of an overall 1,407 theater expansion. So as of today, the Patty Jenkins-directed movie will be playing on 2,210 screens just before it debuts on Digital HD this coming Tuesday.

I’m not sure if the out-sized reaction to James Cameron’s “Eh, I liked it but I prefer a different kind of strong female character” comments, which are unfortunately distracting from a pretty terrific overall interview, will help the movie this weekend. That said, I can’t imagine it’ll hurt as the Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc. release takes a shot at a $2.5 million weekend, which will bring the picture’s total up to $407M.

If the Japanese market takes to this as a Disney princess, those are some big numbers.

- Maleficent (Japan box office): $63,283,085

- Moana (Japan box office): $45,915,441

But not Frozen-big.

- Frozen (Japan box office ): $249,036,646

:whatthe:

20 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Ahhhh. I see what you mean.

Box Office: James Cameron Did 'Wonder Woman' A Huge Favor

If the Japanese market takes to this as a Disney princess, those are some big numbers.

- Maleficent (Japan box office): $63,283,085

- Moana (Japan box office): $45,915,441

But not Frozen-big.

- Frozen (Japan box office ): $249,036,646

i'd forgotten about that frozen performance in japan--dayum!

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

DEADLINE.COM: Early Saturday Box Office Updates

That's a nice Friday jump as this week's average has been around $129.3K daily.

http://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/daily/2017/08/25

Is reporting 485k, which puts this film's Friday earnings between what it earned week 10 and 11. So my guess for this weekend is a finish between 1.6 and 1.7 million.  The McGregor/Mayweather buy ins may effect the intake some. I do think it is safe to say now that this film will pass Captain America: Civil War at some point after the final totals come in this weekend, but whether that films beats Iron Man 3 is a toss up at this point.

We really don't have any big films coming out til September 8th with It..

1 hour ago, reddwarf666222 said:

http://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/daily/2017/08/25

Is reporting 485k, which puts this film's Friday earnings between what it earned week 10 and 11. So my guess for this weekend is a finish between 1.6 and 1.7 million.  The McGregor/Mayweather buy ins may effect the intake some. I do think it is safe to say now that this film will pass Captain America: Civil War at some point after the final totals come in this weekend, but whether that films beats Iron Man 3 is a toss up at this point.

We really don't have any big films coming out til September 8th with It..

FORBES.COM: 'Wonder Woman' Returns To IMAX, Tops $405M

Wonder Woman returned to IMAX theaters this weekend in one last shot at glory before it debuts on Digital HD on Tuesday. The film got a shot of unexpected publicity on Thursday when the Internet declared war on James Cameron over some slightly tone-deaf “I liked it, but my female characters are better” statements.

Nonetheless, the film earned another $485,000 (+47%) on Friday for a likely $1.6M (+48%) weekend and new $406.1M domestic total. Topping The Hunger Games ($408M in 2D), Captain America: Civil War ($408M) and Iron Man 3 ($409M) may be possible.