• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

The only reason folks love to lie with un-adjusted statistics is they're in the business of selling _today's_ product, not the product of 15 years ago, or more.

It's still a BS metric.

By that logic, Spider-Man: Homecoming has made more domestically than Batman (1989). Not even close. The two movies aren't just not in the same ballpark, they're even in the same state in  terms of box office gross, let alone impact on pop culture.

There are blockbusters, and there are blockbusters.

No: due to media fragmentation no movie will unseat "Gone With the Wind" from its "Biggest Box Office" perch.

Likewise, it will be a _damn_ long time before a new Rated R movie unseats The Exorcist from it's near $1 billion adjusted take for top Rated R film (albeit, with re-releases).

For instance, there's only been one movie this century to rank as the # 1 film in America for more than 4 weeks -  Avatar, which managed to be # 1 for 7 weeks.

But that's still a far cry from Beverly Hills Cop, which -- Rated R -- managed to rank as # 1 for 14 weeks. That's insane.  It's more than most movies are even in theaters today.

Right, but the media fragmentation is not going to stop.  Adjusted box office for the classic movies which had no competition from other media is only a one-way calculation, always favoring the older movies.

I think a movie like Wonder Woman could have made $1 billion if it came out in 1939... against zero competition... based in World War I Europe.  

In these comparisons, there's too much weight given to "adjusted earnings" for the older movies in today's dollars and no calculation the other direction... if the older movies actually had to compete in the media today.

There's no way the Gone With The Wind would make $300,000,000 today.  It wouldn't make it past the critics.

We give the classics all the benefit of the doubt, but none of the doubt.

Just now, valiantman said:

Right, but the media fragmentation is not going to stop.  Adjusted box office for the classic movies which had no competition from other media is only a one-way calculation, always favoring the older movies.

I think a movie like Wonder Woman could have made $1 billion if it came out in 1939... against zero competition... based in World War I Europe.  

In these comparisons, there's too much weight given to "adjusted earnings" for the older movies in today's dollars and no calculation the other direction... if the older movies actually had to compete in the media today.

There's no way the Gone With The Wind would make $300,000,000 today.  It wouldn't make it past the critics.

Here, here!

Someone's a fan.

Agent Carter's Hayley Atwell Calls Wonder Woman A "Triumph"

hayley-atwell-wonder-woman-1012896.jpg

While speaking with Buzzfeed during the Television Critics Association press tour, Atwell spoke very kindly about the film, praising practically every aspect of it.

"I thought it was a triumph. I came out of that walking on air, and I think what’s brilliant about  it is, it’s a genre piece, it’s a superhero movie. It’s pitch-perfect from Gal’s performance to the --script to the music. It has just the right amount of tongue-in-cheek humor, it’s engaging, and I was so surprised by the end of it."

For Atwell - who has reprised her Peggy Carter role in various Marvel shorts, cameo appearances, and the Agent Carter television series - Wonder Woman represented a unique triumph for the superhero industry.

"I thought, 'Here we go!' 76 years in the making that’s breaking box office records and it’s led by a woman and it’s directed by a woman – I was like, ‘Patty! F–cking! Jenkins! YESSS!’ And what it means for all of us because it’s not just women are great. It’s going, 'Come on! Let’s represent who we really are as women!' They did it beautifully. Not only did they pull it off, they just were like, Boom! They excelled!"

Edited by Bosco685

21 hours ago, valiantman said:

Really well said.

But I still think we can draw a bright line and compare at least relative box office performance in adjusted dollars since say...2000 onward.

Why 2000? X-Men came out that summer, and heralded a new modern era of superhero franchises.

Yeah -- Blade came first, but X-Men arguably started this current craze, and era (and Hugh Jackman rode that wave through what - 9 movies??)

As popular as Wonder Woman is, it's nowhere _near_ the cultural touchstone that was say...Batman in 1989, or Titanic in 1997.

Example: Iron Man 3 made more domestically than did Spider-Man.

But that's BS because Spider-Man opened on nearly 500 fewer screens yet sold a good 40% more tickets than did Iron Man 3.

And it was the # 1 movie of the year.

Sure, Iron Man III was # 2 for its year, but by a relative nose.

Not Spider-Man -- it made $60 million more than the # 2 (The Two Towers) and more than a $100 million more than # 3 (Attack of the Clones).

Inflation matters, y'all.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Really well said.

But I still think we can draw a bright line and compare at least relative box office performance in adjusted dollars since say...2000 onward.

Why 2000? X-Men came out that summer, and heralded a new modern era of superhero franchises.

Yeah -- Blade came first, but X-Men arguably started this current craze, and era (and Hugh Jackman rode that wave through what - 9 movies??)

As popular as Wonder Woman is, it's nowhere _near_ the cultural touchstone that was say...Batman in 1989, or Titanic in 1997.

Example: Iron Man 3 made more domestically than did Spider-Man.

But that's BS because Spider-Man opened on nearly 500 fewer screens yet sold a good 40% more tickets than did Iron Man 3.

And it was the # 1 movie of the year.

Sure, Iron Man III was # 2 for its year, but by a relative nose.

Not Spider-Man -- it made $60 million more than the # 2 (The Two Towers) and more than a $100 million more than # 3 (Attack of the Clones).

Inflation matters, y'all.

Does it? You now have DVD/BluRay sales stealing from that market even though that is going down and streaming sales stealing from it. WW is outperforming what it needs to when you throw that in and I would call the film a cultural phenomenon 

'Wonder Woman' Box Office: Can It Be Japan's Next 'Frozen'?

Wonder Woman opens in Japan exactly one month from today. As of now, Wonder Woman is just over $780 million worldwide, which means a merely mediocre performance in Japan now guarantees an $800m+ worldwide total.

Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad both made $16 million-$17 million, which is almost identical to Kong: Skull Island ($17m) and Doctor Strange ($16m). Looking at recent MCU movies, if Wonder Woman plays like that we're looking at a range between $10m (Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2) and $26m (Avengers: Age of Ultron, Captain America: Civil War). But, and this is a big "but," if I'm Warner Bros. I'm selling the hell out of Wonder Woman as a princess adventure fable, as opposed to a comic book superhero movie. Because, well, for example, Frozen earned $249m in Japan back in 2014.

:whatthe:

Without overly simplifying things, Walt Disney's female-led fantasies have been very big business in Japan. Zootopia earned $70 million last year while Moana earned $46m. And Star Wars: The Force Awakens earned $97m in Japan while Beauty and the Beast earned $110m earlier this year. Although, to be fair, Rogue One earned "only" $39m, which is about on par with Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales ($34m, a lot less than the $108m earned by On Stranger Tides) and Tangled ($31m back in 2010). And, for what it's worth, The Wolverine (which was set in Japan) earned $40m in 2013 while Logan earned just $6m this year.

If it goes big in Japan - and this is all speculation - we could very well see a worldwide total higher than Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ($861 million) and/or Batman v Superman ($873m). That's arguably hyperbole until it isn't, but the film should have over/under $795m before it even opens in Japan, so a run like Moana will push it over/under $850m worldwide while a run like Beauty and the Beast may see a shot at $900m worldwide. Is that likely? Not really, but this movie has been beating the odds all summer long.

:wishluck:

If WB/DC doesn't bring back Patty Jenkins, there better be a very strong alternative.

Time Warner beat Wall Street expectations this quarter, and got a big boost from ‘Wonder Woman'

overall-4dx-could-be-jarring-if-there-wa

Time Warner’s second quarter earnings got a boost from “Wonder Woman’s” box office success and subscriber growth at its cable operations.

Profits at the entertainment conglomerate beat Wall Street expectations with earnings per-share of $1.33 per share, up from $1.29 per-share in the prior-year period. Revenues grew 5% to $7.3 billion, even as operating income decreased 8% to $1.7 billion. Analysts had projected that Time Warner would post per-share earnings of $1.19 on revenue of $7.3 billion.

The earnings report comes as Time Warner is awaiting government approval for its $85 billion sale to AT&T. The company said it expects the deal will close by the end of 2017. Even without the bureaucratic rubber stamp, AT&T is moving forward with plans to integrate Time Warner into the fold. The telecom giant announced last week that John Stankey will serve as CEO of its media group, giving him control of Time Warner’s properties. Time Warner’s portfolio includes its film studio Warner Bros., its cable division Turner, and the premium cable giant HBO.

:applause:

At this point, Wonder Woman is only $3.76MM from a $400MM domestic box office, and only $6.6MM from a $400MM international box office. Both are easily achievable. Even with a low Japan release. Incredible!

latest?cb=20140728202508

7dMcsaa.jpg

Remaining release dates:

- Japan: 25 August 2017

Just a fun observation...

Beauty and the Beast made $300,000 on Day 60, which was a Monday... and then Beauty and the Beast still made $10,000,000 more domestic before it ended.

Wonder Woman just made $430,000 on Day 60, which was a Monday.

15 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

What timing! I would lose my mind if I found these.

Three Of The Rarest Wonder Woman Comics On Earth Are About To Hit eBay

Hey, it's Matt! Hey Matt!

This is really cool. I love how at the end they show someone rifling through a bin of comics, featuring heavy hitters like Mantra and Brigade.

It has now broken $790MM worldwide, and is $3.3MM from a $400MM domestic total and $6.1MM from a $400MM international total.

3IUHTfV.jpg

Remaining release dates:

Edited by Bosco685

On 8/2/2017 at 6:05 PM, Bosco685 said:

What timing! I would lose my mind if I found these.

Three Of The Rarest Wonder Woman Comics On Earth Are About To Hit eBay

How do 75 year old bundles of newsprint still exist in those pristine conditions...... it blows my mind.  This'll be a fun auction to watch.

Well produced video by the way.

Looks like the movie may have inspired a ride.

Six Flags is building a Wonder Woman roller coaster!

wonderwomancoasterfb1.jpg

Are you ready to soar like WONDER WOMAN in flight? San Antonio's Six Flags Fiesta Texas certainly hopes so, because they've got plans to open a Wonder Woman: Lasso of Truth roller coaster in 2018!

As a part of the attraction's development, Rocky Mountain Construction is set on building the company's first publicly rideable single-rail design. Furthermore, as the ride loop-de-loops it's way around a sizable area, eight-passenger trains will carry riders across a 15.5-inch-wide steel track (which Rocky Mountain Construction has dubbed “IBox”), up 113 feet and down a 100-foot, 90-degree drop. The course also features three inversions and multiple over-banked turns, hitting speeds of 52 miles per hour.

wwcoaster1.jpg

wwcoaster3.jpg

As of Thursday night's results. At this point:

- $2.85MM away from a $400MM domestic box office

- $6.1MM away from a $400MM international box office

- $8.95MM away from a $800MM worldwide total

All seem achievable still.

OX0iSS4.jpg

Remaining release dates:

I would say they are both more than achievable, considering Japan is still to come from an international standpoint and domestically $400 is not even a question even more.

Quite a feat considering the DC movies that preceded it.

For me the question is no longer is WW a massive success critically, monitarily, and with fans.  But, how does this play out to the wider DCEU?  Is WW going to be its own thing, or will it be viewed at part of the wider world?  Will it hurt future movies because of setting the  bar very high? Will fans give the next movie a chance beacause WW is in it and DC has proven it can produce a great film? Is this the "good will" movie DCEU needs, similar to how Marvel built its early success?  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I have no doubt WW 2 will be hugh, and think we may see a Gardians effect where the sequel does even better at the box office.

Edited by drotto

Wonder Woman may end the weekend just under $400 million domestic, but it still fell only 32% Friday ($665,000) for a likely $2.286m (-32%) tenth weekend and possible $399.4m domestic total.

Only $2.2MM from $400MM domestic. Not sure it is going to break that barrier this weekend. But very close!

7qWmNcJ.jpg