• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The essence of cool

68 posts in this topic

Another dimension of cool is historical relevance, e.g.:

militarycomics31_f_zpsf457b6b0.jpg

Hmmmm. I don't know. Relevance, historical or otherwise, is a much overrated concept in my book. And with respect to all those superheroes battling the Axis powers in WWII, well that proved to be a quick trip to obsolescence once the war ended.

(shrug)

And with respect to all those superheroes battling the Axis powers in WWII, well that proved to be a quick trip to obsolescence once the war ended.

I agree that many of those books don't rise to the level of "cool"...and I wouldn't argue that those books are historically relevant.

On the other hand, that specific book I showed was collected by a young Japanese/American girl who was imprisoned in a WWII internment camp here in this country shortly after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, in fairly dark moment in American history. That's a deeper form of historical relevance that I find, well, cool....and it has nothing to do with the book's cover, art, story, hero....or lack thereof.

And with respect to all those superheroes battling the Axis powers in WWII, well that proved to be a quick trip to obsolescence once the war ended.

I agree that many of those books don't rise to the level of "cool"...and I wouldn't argue that those books are historically relevant.

On the other hand, that specific book I showed was collected by a young Japanese/American girl who was imprisoned in a WWII internment camp here in this country shortly after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, in fairly dark moment in American history. That's a deeper form of historical relevance that I find, well, cool....and it has nothing to do with the book's cover, art, story, hero....or lack thereof.

:applause:

Another dimension of cool is historical relevance, e.g.:

militarycomics31_f_zpsf457b6b0.jpg

Hmmmm. I don't know. Relevance, historical or otherwise, is a much overrated concept in my book. And with respect to all those superheroes battling the Axis powers in WWII, well that proved to be a quick trip to obsolescence once the war ended.

(shrug)

:facepalm:Wow!

I see thawing in Hepcat's future. smiley-gata.gif

Only philistines fail to appreciate the coolness of cool books.

Really? :blush:

:facepalm:Wow!

I see thawing in Hepcat's future. smiley-gata.gif

Only philistines fail to appreciate the coolness of cool books.

Really? :blush:

Edowens mentioned none of those things in his initial post, and they certainly were not easily gleaned from the non-descript Blackhawk cover.

(shrug)

and they certainly were not easily gleaned from the non-descript Blackhawk cover.

hm Granted, I should have learned my lesson by now about subtlety.

Anyway, coolness is in the eye of the beholder...no need to :slapfight: about it...let's reserve that for CG Comics General :D

How often do we post the comment "That's a cool book."?

What makes a book cool? And are we by association cool if we think so?

Is a book cool because it's rare? Under appreciated? Both? Or something ineffable?

funny36_zpsd82e88cc.jpg

Love your example!

What makes a book cool?

So many factors to me:

The Art

- is the drawing itself well drawn?

- is the image portraying a circumstance that is interesting being it a weird machine driving over the evil Nazis or a girl in bondage to a wheel being turned by skeletons?

The Colors:

- a wonderful bright red on a cover can really grab one's attention.

The Age:

- does the age of the book add to coolness? I think so, yet at the same time if a book has a great image on the cover I can consider a modern book cool as well.

The Story

I think if the comic itself contains a well done story that captures the imagination of the reader then the book is cool (thumbs u

Significance

This category can be related to the story category above, but at the same time I believe a book can have significance and have a not so great story inside so that is why it is a separate category.

- does the book have the first appearance of some character that is important?

- does the book itself have significance for what it represents?

The Rarity

- having a very rare book can certainly make it cool in the eyes of many, especially the owner! Perfect example of this to me is my Planet Comics 48 double cover. The book is very likely the only one in existence, and that makes it very cool to me.

The Condition / Grade of the Book/ Production Quality

- something can be said for a books condition. Having a very high grade copy of a book definitely makes the book cool BUT I do think this category needs one of the other categories above in addition to the condition/grade to make it a relevant category though. Example: having a CGC 9.8 copy of some run of the mill modern is ho-hum and not cool to me, but if that same modern has some cool story in it or a great art piece on the cover well then I can say it is cool.

Do You Like the Book/ That Certain Something

- this is of course obvious, but it is a category for what makes a book cool. If it really grabs you and you think it is cool, well then it is!

That would be my list for what makes a book "cool". A book can have any single category to be considered having the essence of "cool" or even better, it can have several or perhaps even all of them.

Is a book cool because it's rare? Under appreciated? Both? Or something ineffable?

funny36_zpsd82e88cc.jpg

Love your example!

What makes a book cool?

So many factors to me:

The Art

- is the drawing itself well drawn?

- is the image portraying a circumstance that is interesting being it a weird machine driving over the evil Nazis or a girl in bondage to a wheel being turned by skeletons?

The Colors:

- a wonderful bright red on a cover can really grab one's attention.

The Age:

- does the age of the book add to coolness? I think so, yet at the same time if a book has a great image on the cover I can consider a modern book cool as well.

The Story

I think if the comic itself contains a well done story that captures the imagination of the reader then the book is cool (thumbs u

Significance

This category can be related to the story category above, but at the same time I believe a book can have significance and have a not so great story inside so that is why it is a separate category.

- does the book have the first appearance of some character that is important?

- does the book itself have significance for what it represents?

The Rarity

- having a very rare book can certainly make it cool in the eyes of many, especially the owner! Perfect example of this to me is my Planet Comics 48 double cover. The book is very likely the only one in existence, and that makes it very cool to me.

The Condition / Grade of the Book/ Production Quality

- something can be said for a books condition. Having a very high grade copy of a book definitely makes the book cool BUT I do think this category needs one of the other categories above in addition to the condition/grade to make it a relevant category though. Example: having a CGC 9.8 copy of some run of the mill modern is ho-hum and not cool to me, but if that same modern has some cool story in it or a great art piece on the cover well then I can say it is cool.

Do You Like the Book/ That Certain Something

- this is of course obvious, but it is a category for what makes a book cool. If it really grabs you and you think it is cool, well then it is!

That would be my list for what makes a book "cool". A book can have any single category to be considered having the essence of "cool" or even better, it can have several or perhaps even all of them.

:golfclap: what he said!!

and they certainly were not easily gleaned from the non-descript Blackhawk cover.

hm Granted, I should have learned my lesson by now about subtlety.

Anyway, coolness is in the eye of the beholder...no need to :slapfight: about it...let's reserve that for CG Comics General :D

I picked up on the subtlety. Okajimas are indeed cool. All of them.

Edowens mentioned none of those things in his initial post, and they certainly were not easily gleaned from the non-descript Blackhawk cover.

(shrug)

Serious collectors should learn to recognize the peds and what makes them interesting. :baiting:

Here's a little research for you... :gossip:

http://www.comicpedigrees.com/pedigrees.php#OKAJIMA

a125db88-9c1c-4c2f-9de8-c503243df442_zps8d9ccde1.jpg

Now that one I really like!

(thumbs u

Thanks! :headbang: Bias duly noted, but you're startin' to get dat kewl essence back! lol

funny36_zpsd82e88cc.jpg

Don't make me regret selling this to you!