• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A.K.A. Jessica Jones on Netflix (11/20/15)
3 3

840 posts in this topic

For everyone poo-pooing on the trailer and the potential for the show...

Have you read the book? Honestly? If not, you're missing out and I can understand your lack of excitement. The book is one of the best series I've read in awhile. 2c:cloud9:

Harvey I am approaching it as the un-initiated might. The vast majority of the potential audience for this show have not read the comic and will not read the comic.

From that standpoint the trailer failed to reach out and grab you the way Daredevil did, IMO. Very little of the nature of the character or the themes involved you say are in the series came out in the trailer. The observation is similar to what many have said about the Preacher trailer (and they have a point as well).

Are dissenting opinions that are respectfully stated not allowed in this thread for some reason? (shrug)

-J.

You proclaimed the source material was lacking. I ask the question you danced around again, have you read the book? The above comment implied you have not.

I'm fine with you not liking the trailer. I'm not fine with you taking shots at something you've never read though.

My shot (if you insist on calling it that) was against the missing "wow factor" in the trailers and the breadth of the original source material and the ability of such to sustain an entire 13 episode series, when to me the character seems better suited for a two episode walk-on story arc on the SHIELD show, not against the "quality" of the source material itself. I did not answer the question as to whether or not I read it because I was not remarking on the trailers as a seasoned fan of the comic book, but rather as a casual fan of Marvel productions might who was likely being introduced to this character for the first time.

But to answer your question, no I have not consumed every ounce of content that pertains to this character, however, yes, I have sampled enough to make an informed opinion as to the quality and degree of interest level generated by the trailers. Harvey and Gadzukes have suggested I delve deeper, which I will. That may make the trailers "look better" to me if perhaps it allows me to spot additional easter eggs and details from the books, but even if that were to happen I doubt it would alter my concern that this character can effectively and interestingly carry a 13 episode solo show.

-J.

I think what Harvey & others are saying is that you're underestimating how interesting & deep & menacing & formidable the Purple Man was made in the Alias series.

Yes, the Bahrain episode of AoS touched on similar material, but I think what they're pointing out is that between the back-story of the Purple Man's trauma on JJ that gets explored thru the series & showing a virtual/literal predator that's much more menacing & diabolical than a small angry pre-teen girl with similar powers will be where the differences lie & allow for a much deeper story.

Not only that, but I believe you're very much underestimating the depth of the source material available even just from the 28-issues of Alias, much less any of the source material from later appearances. Jessica Jones hasn't been used very well in following series/appearances, but there's a LOT of meat on the bone from Alias that can be mined for even just this 1 season.

I think what Harvey & others are saying is that you're underestimating how interesting & deep & menacing & formidable the Purple Man was made in the Alias series.

Yes, the Bahrain episode of AoS touched on similar material, but I think what they're pointing out is that between the back-story of the Purple Man's trauma on JJ that gets explored thru the series & showing a virtual/literal predator that's much more menacing & diabolical than a small angry pre-teen girl with similar powers will be where the differences lie & allow for a much deeper story.

Not only that, but I believe you're very much underestimating the depth of the source material available even just from the 28-issues of Alias, much less any of the source material from later appearances. Jessica Jones hasn't been used very well in following series/appearances, but there's a LOT of meat on the bone from Alias that can be mined for even just this 1 season.

Hey Dok I hear what you're saying. It wasn't just the similarities to the girl's powers (thriving vicariously on experiencing other people's pain, her attempted possession of May, and of course her possession of the entire SWAT team, etc) in the Bahrain episode of SHIELD that jumped out at me, but also the effects of encountering her on May after the fact, in addition to the fact that she and Andrew were trying for a baby at the time, May's subsequent alienation from not only SHIELD but the breakdown of her marriage, not to mention the fact that she was also involved in an inter-racial relationship. This on top of the fact that May is also a small, attractive woman with a dark, sullen disposition and an uncanny ability to throw around grown men and trained fighters as if they were rag dolls. And she is not even supposed to have powers, technically. lol

Lots of parallels there. It worked for a couple of episodes on SHIELD, but 13 episodes dealing with substantially similar themes and material (albeit perhaps a bit grittier)? hm

-J.

Hey Dok I hear what you're saying. It wasn't just the similarities to girl's powers (thriving vicariously on experiencing other people's pain, her attempted possession of May, and of course her possession of the entire SWAT team, etc) in the Bahrain episode of SHIELD that jumped out at me, but also the effects of encountering her on May after the fact, in addition to the fact that she and Andrew were trying for a baby at the time, May's subsequent alienation from not only SHIELD but the breakdown of her marriage, not to mention the fact that she was also involved in an inter-racial relationship. This on top of the fact that May is also a small, attractive woman with a dark, sullen disposition and an uncanny ability to throw around grown men and trained fighters as if they were rag dolls. And she is not even supposed to have powers, technically. lol

Lots of parallels there. It worked for a couple of episodes on SHIELD, but 13 episodes dealing with substantially similar themes and material (albeit perhaps a bit grittier)? hm

-J.

Fair enough. The PTSD after the fact is similar. But considering that May never got possessed (?? is that even the right term?), I see one big change. Granted, you point out that a lot of parallels. But I just see Alias as something much deeper & much more psychologically brutal. I can't explain it today (not enough caffeine), but I just can't see Alias covering the same territory or even getting all that similar to Bahrain. I also see a LOT more material available to mine than SHIELD did with Alias that covers a lot more territory than AoS ever did with May.

There are a lot of similarities, but I don't see it being any more "just treading the same territory" than virtually any other action/adventure series, or really any other mind-control PTSD story.

Hey Dok I hear what you're saying. It wasn't just the similarities to girl's powers (thriving vicariously on experiencing other people's pain, her attempted possession of May, and of course her possession of the entire SWAT team, etc) in the Bahrain episode of SHIELD that jumped out at me, but also the effects of encountering her on May after the fact, in addition to the fact that she and Andrew were trying for a baby at the time, May's subsequent alienation from not only SHIELD but the breakdown of her marriage, not to mention the fact that she was also involved in an inter-racial relationship. This on top of the fact that May is also a small, attractive woman with a dark, sullen disposition and an uncanny ability to throw around grown men and trained fighters as if they were rag dolls. And she is not even supposed to have powers, technically. lol

-J.

Fair enough. The PTSD after the fact is similar. But considering that May never got possessed (?? is that even the right term?), I see one big change. Granted, you point out that a lot of parallels. But I just see Alias as something much deeper & much more psychologically brutal. I can't explain it today (not enough caffeine), but I just can't see Alias covering the same territory or even getting all that similar to Bahrain. I also see a LOT more material available to mine than SHIELD did with Alias that covers a lot more territory than AoS ever did with May.

There are a lot of similarities, but I don't see it being any more "just treading the same territory" than virtually any other action/adventure series, or really any other mind-control PTSD story.

Honestly the similar subject matter would probably have been enough for me to give at least the first few episodes a go. I'm just glad I'm not the only crazy one here who noticed the May story arc parallels on SHIELD, at least as presented in the trailers. lol You and the other boardies say things go deeper for JJ in the course of the Alias series, and I believe you. The quality of the execution of the translation of that into a 13 episode run of a heretofore marginal and largely unknown character is the only ? at this point, as expressed by me in my original comment.

-J.

-J.

Honestly the similar subject matter would probably have been enough for me to give at least the first few episodes a go. I'm just glad I'm not the only crazy one here who noticed the May story arc parallels on SHIELD, at least as presented in the trailers. lol You and the other boardies say things go deeper for JJ in the course of the Alias series, and I believe you. The quality of the execution of the translation of that into a 13 episode run of a heretofore marginal and largely unknown character is the only ? at this point, as expressed by me in my original comment.

-J.

I'm looking at it like this: Until Marvel borks up something significantly, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Even when they've marginally borked up something (S1 of AoS), they've worked to improve it quickly. And based on the quality of DD S1, I'm trusting Marvel to execute well. Took them about 3/4 of 1 season of 1 show, but they've generally figured out this TV thing based on S2 & 3 of AoS, S1 of DD and S1 of Agent Carter.

i can see Jessica Jones having more mainstream success than Daredevil and being a bigger hit. Just sayin.

Yup, I agree, and if it does it will be because of the issues it covers, and how much the media will love them

giphy.gif

This directed at me ???

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

How can someone comment on a series if they haven't even read the books yet?

hello-world-welcome-to-our-site.jpg

It's a certain skill prevalent on the internet now - knowing something that you actually have no experience of.

giphy.gif

This directed at me ???

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

How can someone comment on a series if they haven't even read the books yet?

hello-world-welcome-to-our-site.jpg

*cough* *cough*... If you are saying that the trailer/series cannot stand or be appreciated/understood on its own merits, then you are only proving my point, since 99.999999999999999% of the people who watch this show will have never read the books, and never will.

-J.

Obviously a very well produced show, but I have yet to see anything that wows or immediately draws in the viewer the way the Daredevil trailer did (particularly for the non-comic-book-nerd crowd). Perhaps it is just the source material and a weak F-list character that does not seem capable of supporting their own show, but this material looks like a long, drawn out (no pun intended) version of the monster of the week stuff they've done on the SHIELD show.

Fortunately the canvas is small, so if it doesn't quite connect it won't harm the Marvel brand at all.

-J.

I think where you may have gone down a path that was questionable was noting the source material and an F-list character.

Wouldn't you want to be familiar with the source material and character if you are going to note them as weak points?

(shrug)

Obviously a very well produced show, but I have yet to see anything that wows or immediately draws in the viewer the way the Daredevil trailer did (particularly for the non-comic-book-nerd crowd). Perhaps it is just the source material and a weak F-list character that does not seem capable of supporting their own show, but this material looks like a long, drawn out (no pun intended) version of the monster of the week stuff they've done on the SHIELD show.

Fortunately the canvas is small, so if it doesn't quite connect it won't harm the Marvel brand at all.

-J.

I think where you may have gone down a path that was questionable was noting the source material and an F-list character.

Wouldn't you want to be familiar with the source material and character if you are going to note them as weak points?

(shrug)

As noted, I was referring to the breadth of the source material ("quantity") not the "quality".

And yes, she is an F list character, or whatever "not A , B, or C list" letter you want to use. Obviously this show raised the profile of the character. Whether or not that resonates with the masses, or people clamor to continue to seeing the character remains to be seen. Regardless of the source material, I found the trailers rather weak and un-involving with themes and characters and character powers that look remarkably like the stuff they have already done on a couple of episodes of SHIELD. I could see JJ appearing on there for a story arc or two easier than I can see a 13 episode run in a solo title, especially since any and all Daily Bugle/Peter Parker/Spider-man interaction is off the table.

These are just my opinions of the trailers, not of the books, or the show itself.

-J.

You're calling her an F list character based on the source material, but saying this is only because of the trailer? (shrug)

No, I'm calling her an F list character because she was completely unknown to even many comic book fans prior to Marvel deciding she should get a solo show.

That, in itself was a risky move. Marvel pulled it off with Guardians, but unlike the trailer for that movie, this one just falls flat IMO.

J.