• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A.K.A. Jessica Jones on Netflix (11/20/15)
3 3

840 posts in this topic

I'm 3 episodes in and liking it very much. :D

4 episodes in and liking JJ better than DD so far. Seems like some of the city backgrounds were shot in Vancouver, BC as I recognized HSBC (Honk Kong Bank of Canada) sign and Gastown brownstones.

Just finished it & the one thing I especially dug as an easter egg/foreshadowing was

the mention of IGH. I have a feeling this will be the replacement for MGH in the MCU. Inhuman Growth Hormone instead of Mutant Growth Hormone

as a source for powers.

Also, I'm 99% sure

Frank will be Nuke in the other series, including Punisher.

I agree with you on

Frank.

Frank Simpson = Nuke

ultimate-captain-america-frank-simpson-nuke.jpg

I wonder if that means he will cross over to Daredevil.

Frank Simpson definitely will become Nuke, as he seems to be part of the Weapon Plus Program with the pills he is taking to gain strength.

Luke Cage just walking out of the bar in the end was an awesome scene.

:whee:

But I had no idea between the program differences. Glad you pointed that out.

I finished the series. It was really good.

- Although I was not crazy over the Luke Cage actor when first announced, Mike Colter embodied the character and had quite a few scenes to make him stand out (which he did). I am very much looking forward to his series.

- I liked how the show introduced Luke and Jessica's characters. Not as unbeatable, shining heroes but realistic, flawed individuals just trying to find their way in life that just so happen to do good periodically.

- There are so many characters introduced, yet it was done in such a way you didn't get lost in the casts. Even the connection with the Daredevil universe by having Rosario Dawson show up and help Luke was done in a way it felt natural without distracting from this show's flow.

- David Tennant as Kilgrave was a really solid choice as a villain. His twisted memories of his backstory (a science experiment gone wrong) versus reality (scientist parents wanting to cure their beloved son's degenerative neural disease) demonstrates how even his memories can't be trusted.

- There are a few times I wanted Jessica to finally take him out, she was so close to Kilgrave. But I also realized since it was noted throughout the show she was still trying to clear Hope of murdering her parents. When she finally breaks his neck in the end, it was a relief as this sociopath would do anything to anyone if not stopped.

8.5/10 stars

My take on what I have seen:

Positives:

1) Good cinematography and atmosphere;

2) Well cast (but with a caveat, see below);

3) Good intentions by Marvel of trying to bring a niche, fringe character to the masses and continuing to dabble in the darker side of their catalogue;

4) Reasonably engaging first episode

Negatives:

1) Not enough direct interaction with JJ and bad guy;

2) Bad CGI and boring/poorly choreographed fight scenes;

3) Storyline artificially elongated with superfluous characters, repetitious sequences and conversations between characters, and filler episodes that do not advance the storyline (i.e.. too much bad writing);

4) Ritter's performance is flat, droll, and monotone, and the voiceover is a lazy, unnecessary, and overused device on the show

All and all, this is no Daredevil and I would be surprised if a second season of this was picked up, as the material was already thin and stretched to the point of tedium in far too many places.

Two out of five stars for me.

-J.

Finished up and agree. There just wasn't enough there there and felt forced at times. It did redeem itself somewhat toward the end though.

I suspect the 2nd season will be much, much better that this 1st one. The 1st season introduced A LOT of characters and core elements. Now with all that worldbuilding out of the way she's perfectly primed to get on with it.

Watched 12 episodes over a lock in with Diet Coke and Combos on Saturday and watched the last episode this morning.

Overall I liked the series.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Luke Cage character and loved the reasons behind his two uses of the term "Sweet Christmas" lol

I'm going to go on record and say that I think the Luke Cage series will blow this one away based on the handling of the character so far.

Three major cons for me...

1) Kilgrave - as nutbag as the guy was, he just wasn't nutbag enough. Yes some of his kills were over the top, but for me, they were expected. A nice surprise or two with him would have helped me enjoy the series more.

2) Malcolm, Robyn, Ruben. I'm sorry but wasn't these three the exact same neighbors Frank Castle had in the Thomas Jane "Punisher" film? They may have swapped sexes... but it sure all felt like the same characters.

3) No emotional investment in Jessica. Sorry but as much as I liked the show... I found myself rooting more for Trish and Luke than I did for Miss Jones.

6/10 for me on this one. I will watch the second season, but I will secretly pray for Jessica's demise in the season 2 opener in hopes that Hellcat takes over to exact revenge for JJ's death :D

Through 6 episodes now, it definitely got better in E5/6. I find myself waiting for more Killgrave because he really is the best part of the show, but I still can't see myself watching more than 2 or 3 in a day like Daredevil where I knocked out 6 at a time.

I hope the "perceived" success of JJ leads to more Marvel MAX inspired Netflix shows. Foolkiller, Supreme Power Nighthawk, Punisher and a very dark & violent Moon Knight would make my day

Good series , 13 hours I felt like were well spent.

I agree with others, that Luke Cage came out as the best, most interesting character. Mike Colter played him just right, and he was well used in the series. Looking forward to his own show.

Effects were ok, maybe a little underwhelming. I could tell when there was cable work being done just because the motions were not very believable. Not sure if that's more about insufficient stunt/FX budgets or the actors just weren't good "action" actors.

Really enjoyed the reappearance of Rosario Dawson as Claire Temple near the end. I really hope she continues to get peppered into the shows on Netflix (she's listed on the Luke Cage show imdb, so she'll be back for sure).

I thought the Wil character was pretty weak. Seemed to be more of a plot device than anything with any depth. The actor (also named Will) never seemed to land on an acting style, and I cant tell if that was just bad acting or an intentional choice related to the super soldier meds.

The Robyn neighbor was a mix of annoying and eye-roll inducing... Could have lived without her.

Thought Tennant was a fine villain, but I agree on the idea that the ending was anticlimatic,

they talked about Purple Mans extended powers but they never really put them on display.

I think the choreographing issues that some of you describe mostly had to do with the fact that unlike DD and any of the others, none of these characters really knew how to fight except for Trish. She was well-choreographed, while everyone else was kinda stumbling thru it. For good reason. JJ could punch her way out of most things & can't fly worth a darn, and can't land any better. While Luke mostly was good at getting hit & just muscling his way out of things.

In that way, it makes a lot of sense to have the fight scenes poorly choreographed. Trish can fight, but has no powers. Those with powers though don't know how to really fight. DD spent years training. JJ and Luke Cage didn't because they just tried to live normal quiet lives & throw their muscle around when needed.