• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A.K.A. Jessica Jones on Netflix (11/20/15)
3 3

840 posts in this topic

It's sounds from everywhere JJ is garbage.

Mainstream or here? Mainstream says "it's awesome" but it doesn't have the same buzz that Daredevil did. However, the boards seem a little split.

I personally enjoyed it. Don't expect it to be Daredevil when it's not. DD was a more crime story. This is a psychological drama mixed with revenge & detective noir. They're 2 different animals. It would be like comparing Goodfellas to Payback.

I don't see good......yet. I recently saw Poltergeist and was hoping for so much more. They could have just followed the original poltergeist -script and they would have had a hit. I watch way too much TV and am easily entertained. JJ was just....boring. Much like Poltergeist I just keep asking myself "What am I watching"? JJ should watch Lori from WD if before her next sex scene. Flat. Nothing but flat.

Finished it up last night. Overall it's good, but not great. Perhaps I was spoiled by Daredevil. I do think it's better than most network TV Superhero shows (AoS, Flash, Gotham, etc). Critics have it slightly better than Daredevil on MetaCritic, users have it slightly worse. I'll give it 6 out of 10.

What do these critics have as good? I'm curious what they recommend.

Mainstream or here? Mainstream says "it's awesome" but it doesn't have the same buzz that Daredevil did. However, the boards seem a little split.

I personally enjoyed it. Don't expect it to be Daredevil when it's not. DD was a more crime story. This is a psychological drama mixed with revenge & detective noir. They're 2 different animals. It would be like comparing Goodfellas to Payback.

What is "mainstream"?

What is "mainstream"?

crossing streams?

People who think this is better than Daredevil are either on drugs, are sitting on a pile of Alias #1 or feel that they have to like it because it fills so much of the progressive checklist

Killgrave is the only thing worth looking forward to in every episode, and even then he's not as menacing as Kingpin or Ledger's Joker

Killgrave is likable as a character and Jessica Jones is not. Flawed heroes can shine through on the screen and I don't know it it's the actress or the poor writing, but half the time I want to see her get punched in her monotone mouth.

I'd be stunned if it gets picked up for a 2nd season. Daredevil type buzz is not happening

Yeah. Basically my sentiments exactly.

-J.

What is "mainstream"?

crossing streams?

Never!!

Ok, maybe one time.

What is "mainstream"?

Essentially every non-geek-dedicated website that has reviewed it. There's a bunch of articles from LA Times, NY papers, yahoo, Forbes, etc. And the ratings sites like Rotten Tomatoes, MetaCritic, and others. They all seem to say it's good. Literally the only places I've seen negative reviews for it are here. Granted, I haven't looked super hard, but a quick google under news for "Jessica jones reviews" seems overall very positive. That's as "mainstream" as you can get. The worst one of the headlines described it as was "formulaic".

What is "mainstream"?

Essentially every non-geek-dedicated website that has reviewed it. There's a bunch of articles from LA Times, NY papers, yahoo, Forbes, etc. And the ratings sites like Rotten Tomatoes, MetaCritic, and others. They all seem to say it's good. Literally the only places I've seen negative reviews for it are here. Granted, I haven't looked super hard, but a quick google under news for "Jessica jones reviews" seems overall very positive. That's as "mainstream" as you can get. The worst one of the headlines described it as was "formulaic".

Doesn't that strike you as odd?

What is "mainstream"?

Doesn't that strike you as odd?

Considering that I enjoyed it and the vast majority of reviewers did too, not really. I also really enjoyed DD & so did the vast majority of reviewers. I also enjoyed most of Marvel's output and so did the vast majority of reviewers. So nothing strikes me odd that people generally enjoyed a thing that I thought was good.

Edited by Doktor

But it's not just generally enjoyed. Find a criticism.

Of course I have a few criticisms:

I thought they could have done some better effects works on her fly/jumping. It just looked a little off. I chalked it up to "she kinda sucks at using her powers" (because she does & admits it), but I just don't think that's how fly/jumping would look.

I thought that the annoying neighbor girl could have been entirely removed & the show wouldn't have suffered in the slightest.

I thought that it could have had some more humor. There weren't as many dry funny moments as DD showed that dark shows could have.

I wish they would drop the indirect references to the MCU and just be direct on these shows. It bugged me a little in DD too.

And I wish they wouldn't have killed that miniature furniture making detective from the Wire.

None of them are really make or break issues. They're just minor gripes.

The only criticism that I could really have that would be even slightly related to the actual series would have been that I didn't think they portrayed Jessica's powers consistently. I thought she was overpowered at times when she shouldn't have been. But that's about it.

Edited by Doktor

But it's not just generally enjoyed. Find a criticism.

Oh, you mean criticisms in the reviews? As I said, the one said "formulaic". And all of them had little quibbles here & there, but mostly on something that they wish would have been done differently. But for what it was, plot & pacing & story & character wise, they all generally enjoyed it.

There's only 2 conclusions that can be drawn from that: That either the reviewers are scared to criticize it (for some undefined reason that I can't quite figure out) or it's a sign that the show was good & mostly solid. I lean towards the latter. You obviously lean towards the former. Neither are absolutely correct.

I tried to watch the first 4 episodes last night and they were absolutely treadful.

It's a terrible cross between one of the NCIS's and a Law and order special victims unit.

Hero for hire #1 should plummet. I was so excited for Luke Cage and they ruined it!

None of these characters are likeable.

Please cancel this garbage.

Or search engines show popular sites and/or sites that are paid up to date. ;)

New York Post, New York Times, Forbes, LA Times, E! and others like that don't really need to rely paid placement. They're already about as close as you can get to go-to sources for journalism & news without paying for placement. And those are the review sources that I specifically mentioned. It's not like I'm cherry-picking the Beaver County Times or the Topeka whatever the hell their newspaper is or some guy's blog. NYT, LA Times, Post, Forbes, E! and all of those are pretty much the definition of mainstream.

So we're back to the same point. The mainstream news & review sources pretty much says "it's good" with only a few articles that even give it an "it's ok" and virtually none saying "it sucks". So the mainstream generally thinks it's good. I think it's good. The only place I'm seeing any significant disapproval from is here.

Or you could just go search #jessicajones on twitter & see an overall pretty positive response from the peanut gallery.

I tried to watch the first 4 episodes last night and they were absolutely treadful.

It's a terrible cross between one of the NCIS's and a Law and order special victims unit.

Hero for hire #1 should plummet. I was so excited for Luke Cage and they ruined it!

None of these characters are likeable.

Please cancel this garbage.

Should plummet???

Just because YOU didn't like the show does NOT mean the book should plummet. It doesn't work that way.

What matters is how many people liked the show, how many people liked (and like) Luke Cage, etc. And from so much evidence in this thread, a lot of people (many boardies and lots of non-boardies) do.