• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

Oh mess, I didn't realize the print run on the D cover was 1250??? Wow, no, I wouldn't worry about it at ALL. The web store was selling 500. The print run is 1250. I swear these exclusive covers have to be 600 or less to really be worth anything imo. Even then, at 600, they have to have something going for them (first appearance, popular artist, or something else).

53 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

The white phoenix was really the closest? There were people standing in line at one of the conventions for that one.

I didn't buy the ones today because the last few sets I bought, I didn't really make anything on them. I broke even on a couple and then have a couple I still need to sell.

Sold Feb. 7

IMG_6843.PNG

54 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Sold Feb. 7

IMG_6843.PNG

It must have cratered then, wasn't it going for like $300-350 for a while? unsigned? It was a hot book for while. Anyway, just goes to show how hot a book can get then completely cool off. Print runs are just too high on his books.

8 hours ago, kevhtx said:

It must have cratered then, wasn't it going for like $300-350 for a while? unsigned? It was a hot book for while. Anyway, just goes to show how hot a book can get then completely cool off. Print runs are just too high on his books.

Yes, after the first show where he released it. Then he had it at a bunch of other shows so the market got watered down.

11 hours ago, kevhtx said:

Oh mess, I didn't realize the print run on the D cover was 1250??? Wow, no, I wouldn't worry about it at ALL. The web store was selling 500. The print run is 1250. I swear these exclusive covers have to be 600 or less to really be worth anything imo. Even then, at 600, they have to have something going for them (first appearance, popular artist, or something else).

I stopped purchasing Campbell covers over a year ago as not only were the copies I received from J Scott Campbell.com frequently VF/NM / 9.0 to NM- / 9.2 (sometimes VF / 8.0) including replacement copies, but the few extra copies that I purchased to sell, to cover my purchase costs, never sold; I keep them all in a visible pile to remind me to avoid purchasing Campbell covers unless they are the "cheap" variant covers.

7 minutes ago, jason4 said:

How much was the print run on the white Phoenix? 

Btw...the last non-signed cover d new mutants that's not in a set sold for 150 and is gone 

Never released how many the white Jean Grey was because they were only sold at shows.

Wait a few months on that cover d.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Yes, after the first show where he released it. Then he had it at a bunch of other shows so the market got watered down.

Ah, I do remember the first show. I think it was Orlando maybe? It makes sense. The print run was so high. He saved some for each show so I'm sure he had a run on his table at the first show. If that book had a print run of 500-600, I bet it would have kept its value.

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Never released how many the white Jean Grey was because they were only sold at shows.

Wait a few months on that cover d.

I bet it was like the others and 1000-1200. 1250 for this D cover.

1 hour ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I stopped purchasing Campbell covers over a year ago as not only were the copies I received from J Scott Campbell.com frequently VF/NM / 9.0 to NM- / 9.2 (sometimes VF / 8.0) including replacement copies, but the few extra copies that I purchased to sell, to cover my purchase costs, never sold; I keep them all in a visible pile to remind me to avoid purchasing Campbell covers unless they are the "cheap" variant covers.

I purchased extras and got them signed by JSC then graded by CGC. I made a little bit on them after covering my costs, but really not enough to keep buying more and risking the possibility of getting bad copies. I mainly got 9.8, but a few 9.6 from them. I still have some ASM #11 books I haven't sold. I haven't put them up on eBay though. When I first started doing it (CGC SS), I did pretty well on them. I would do them really fast. But, soon after, it seemed like I had some competition and the profits were really weak. Now, I only purchase the ones I like of his that I want for my own collection.

12 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

I purchased extras and got them signed by JSC then graded by CGC. I made a little bit on them after covering my costs, but really not enough to keep buying more and risking the possibility of getting bad copies. I mainly got 9.8, but a few 9.6 from them. I still have some ASM #11 books I haven't sold. I haven't put them up on eBay though. When I first started doing it (CGC SS), I did pretty well on them. I would do them really fast. But, soon after, it seemed like I had some competition and the profits were really weak. Now, I only purchase the ones I like of his that I want for my own collection.

Yes, I also received a few, very few, NM/M / 9.8 and NM+ / 9.6 copies from JSC.com. But, unfortunately, far more were the grades that I listed previously. When I contacted them about the books I was always informed that most of the books had the same damage, it was blamed on Marvel Comics' printing. Yet, on eBay, for example; although, arguably, a skewed sample as most folks may list only the best copies that they own; I would find a great many examples of copies that did not have the damage that my copies had. Accordingly, it was clear that for whatever reason I was sent among the most damaged copies that JSC.com had available.

After my purchase of I forget which cover, as I was buying a JSC cover, I got off the JSC train never to board again outside of the "regular variants."

If you are interested in that D cover, Rich_Henn has a pre-order for signed CGC 9.8's in his pre-order thread for $225. That's not a bad price since JSC charges $40 for his signature. After witnessing, grading, cost of the book and JSC fees, that's a decent deal. I believe he fast tracks too. It's a guaranteed 9.8 from Rich. I've done a lot of biz with him and he does quality service. That's probably about the price you will pay during convention season for a signed 9.8 for it. He has 5 spots.

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Was not aware of that. Did he post it on social media?

No, it’s on the sale page of each of the comics.  

https://jscottcampbell.com/collections/marvel/products/jean-grey-1-j-scott-campbell-store-exclusive-cover-1

Im guessing based on the New Mutants cover, he changed his SOP and is selling a small amount of the convention run on the website for those that can’t make it.  The print run is larger than last summer runs which were all at 1000

Edited by Drbearsec

I don't think they had that on there when it first was on sale? I don't think he was adding the convention exclusive info to the sets at that time. I'm not 100% sure on that, just going on memory. I just remember the set going on sale and then we knew there would be a convention exclusive at the next con. Then, people lined up at his booth and prices went nuts for it. There were more and it seemed to calm down a bit. Prices were still a bit nuts on it. I was never really a big fan of that set. I didn't buy that one, but was initially kicking myself when that white Phoenix book took off though. 

2 hours ago, kevhtx said:

I don't think they had that on there when it first was on sale? I don't think he was adding the convention exclusive info to the sets at that time. I'm not 100% sure on that, just going on memory. I just remember the set going on sale and then we knew there would be a convention exclusive at the next con. Then, people lined up at his booth and prices went nuts for it. There were more and it seemed to calm down a bit. Prices were still a bit nuts on it. I was never really a big fan of that set. I didn't buy that one, but was initially kicking myself when that white Phoenix book took off though. 

Right, the way I remember it is, the D covers were convention only. At SDCC they sold out of white phoenix on preview night, spectacular spider man and xmen sold out in the following days. There was some blow back from fans since D werent available to everyone. Now he seems to be offer the D covers as part of the pack and will have some at conventions.

I also remember the D covers (singles) being only $50 at the conventions, wonder if they will be available individually still or if you have to buy the pack.