• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

I almost went back to order a second set of just ABC covers, but they were all still showing available and I figured they would probably be around for a while considering how The New Mutants set went live over a week ago and their ABC signed set for it is still available.

What I forgot to consider was that The New Mutants AREN'T Spidey. :) Should've gotten that second set to use as trade bait for a previous set I missed, but oh well. Some other collector is much happier for it this morning, I'm sure.

Edited by PerlAddict

On 3/1/2018 at 10:08 PM, PerlAddict said:

Tried to find some articles or cached pages, but I came up short, so I figured I might have better luck just asking here:

Can someone tell me what the original prices from JSC's website were for the Avengers #8 variant covers (unsigned & signed)?

Thanks!
Dave

I think around $55 unsigned /$75 signed. He started upping his price around this time, so it's possible it was $10-20 more.

20 minutes ago, Tnexus said:

I think around $55 unsigned /$75 signed. He started upping his price around this time, so it's possible it was $10-20 more.

Thanks. So $30 signed now isn't too bad of a premium. Though the Captain America was the A cover, so it would've been the least rare and probably went for $15 to $20 by itself.

Edited by PerlAddict

I havent bought one of the last few of his sets. Kinda wish he would do something different on his exclusives in between the cheesecake ones. He couldn't tackle some of these new characters or even DC for his own website? I know he might have a contract with Marvel or something exclusive for their covers, but seems for his own site he could do some others? He did some Harley covers in the past couple years. Maybe that was right before he signed a new contract. I dont know.

It would have been cool to see his take on the Red Goblin, Deadpool, Cable, Old Man Logan (other than just as background for another cheesecake cover) or something else recent. I'm sure until they stop selling out, the current template is what we will keep seeing.

The odd thing to me is, I had trouble selling the last few I bought on ebay where I dont any trouble selling other stuff that "sell out". I think a lot of those sales of his are people trying to flip them. When I do sell them, I usually just make my money back, make just a few dollars or lose a little bit. It hasn't really been worth it since the Gamora set for me. Ive had a couple of them do well, but that was it.

The thought of flipping crossed my mind if I could get an ABC set along with the ABCD, too (trades would be nicer), but looking at eBay, it seems like it can be so hit or miss. Yeah, it'd be nice to offset some of the cost of the keeper set with the flipper set, but I worry it would be a lot of work and worry for little dollars. I DID piece together a signed set of the Phoenix covers for $270 shipped from multiple auction listings on eBay a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't real happy I missed the original sale, but oh well; it is what it is. So there are definitely people buying just to have 'em, and I guess I should be grateful that some of the folks buy them to flip so that folks like me who missed them still have a shot at owning them.

I'm currently lamenting missing so many great sets the last handful of years when I wasn't collecting. There are some ASM, Renew Your Vows, and Spider-Gwen covers (SOOO MANY Spider-Gwen covers. This variant craze is madness!) I'd love to own, but I don't want to pay current eBay prices for them. Joined some FB groups, been watching MyComicShop auctions, and I guess I ought to start checking the classifieds here. All about having patience at this point! 

On another note, the Phoenix set was $210 IIRC for the signed ABCDEFGH set ... the signed ABCD set of Renew Your Vows #13 was $145. Seems like an awfully big price jump, especially since the Phoenix covers were all limited to under 2k copies each and the RYV set is still available for order direct from Unknown Comics since its release last year.

I'm happy to get signed covers, but I do wish the variants had been actual different art/poses versus just spot color variants. But oh well. If I could drawn my own, I would. But I can't, so I buy JSC's stuff. :D

4 hours ago, Poka said:

I am done buying JSC until he comes up with something different than the same girl in different dresses/poses. Hope that happens soon.

You know the geico commercial it's what you do? If you're jsc, it's what you do. And it sells so he's going to keep doing it. The only book I know of his without women that sells great is wolverine as Deadpool. 

1 hour ago, jason4 said:

You know the geico commercial it's what you do? If you're jsc, it's what you do. And it sells so he's going to keep doing it. The only book I know of his without women that sells great is wolverine as Deadpool. 

yeah but they are not selling as fast as they used to

1 hour ago, Poka said:

yeah but they are not selling as fast as they used to

And I wonder how popular they really are. Like I said, they seem to be harder to sell on ebay than other "sold out" books. I think he is extremely popular among resellers so I bet a bunch of resellers have a bunch of JSC stock that sits. When those people stop buying, its gonna slow down more.

I am all for the do what you do best. I dont think he should completely stop doing these types of covers. Even though they "sell out", think about it like this, if he were doing these for Marvel, do you think they would allow him to keep doing the same kind of poses and covers each time? Even though they sell out? He has to have some diversity and branch out. He will never know what his next big book is if he doesn't branch out. His books from just a couple years ago and before were more creative (his spider-man books and of course his big expensive books). 

Some books of his that are not cheesecake ones (Deadpool vs X-force #1, Wolverine 1, Siege 3, ASM 688).

3 hours ago, jason4 said:

The ASM 688 Lizard cover is literally the only other one that I can think of.  

-J.

He is on cruise control. I mean he doesn't have to only have males on his covers, but the template shouldn't be so prevalent, 90% of the time. Just having sexy females on your cover doesn't make it cheesecake imo. But, having them front and center with all the poses like he does just seems to be catering to one specific type of fan. 

I liked his Peter Parker set that he came out with last summer. I just hope he branches out soon and the exclusives are a little more varied. A Spider-man 800 set would have been cool with 4 different versions of a clever idea. His take on red goblin too. If he did that and reduced the print runs, I really think that long run, he would be better off.

4 hours ago, kevhtx said:

He is on cruise control. I mean he doesn't have to only have males on his covers, but the template shouldn't be so prevalent, 90% of the time. Just having sexy females on your cover doesn't make it cheesecake imo. But, having them front and center with all the poses like he does just seems to be catering to one specific type of fan. 

I liked his Peter Parker set that he came out with last summer. I just hope he branches out soon and the exclusives are a little more varied. A Spider-man 800 set would have been cool with 4 different versions of a clever idea. His take on red goblin too. If he did that and reduced the print runs, I really think that long run, he would be better off.

Long run? :roflmao:

18 hours ago, kevhtx said:

Just having sexy females on your cover doesn't make it cheesecake imo. But, having them front and center with all the poses like he does just seems to be catering to one specific type of fan. 

His latest Lady Death covers would fit this description well. Even as a Lady Death fan, these covers really aren't all that great.

LD_EmeraldTurnaround_ModelSheet_W.thumb.jpg.8e80820704756f72a0eea438107525b0.jpg

unfortunately that Emerald comic con Lady Death is not new. It's just recolored from work he did in 2002. (pic was pulled from a my comic shop listing)

Ditto for the "new" Coffin variants of last year's "Lady Death Killers". They were just recolored/repurposed from issue of 1 of Lady Death Gauntlet

s-l1600.jpg

58 minutes ago, devald said:

unfortunately that Emerald comic con Lady Death is not new. It's just recolored from work he did in 2002. (pic was pulled from a my comic shop listing)

Ditto for the "new" Coffin variants of last year's "Lady Death Killers". They were just recolored/repurposed from issue of 1 of Lady Death Gauntlet

s-l1600.jpg

Good call, I didn't realize that.

I'm not an artist by a long shot....but that cover is just U-G-L-Y. the proportions between Lady death's whole body VS her legs are just way-way off. Her legs looks like twice the size of her whole body (arms included). This reminds me of Rob Liefield's take on Captain America (with DD man-boobies)

1 hour ago, combiner1 said:

I'm not an artist by a long shot....but that cover is just U-G-L-Y. the proportions between Lady death's whole body VS her legs are just way-way off. Her legs looks like twice the size of her whole body (arms included). This reminds me of Rob Liefield's take on Captain America (with DD man-boobies)

Is this your first time seeing JSC work? xD