• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERGIRL official TV show thread
3 3

2,562 posts in this topic

Indeed Bio. I think if the new SG's hair was as blond as Helen Slater's, most of us would be pleased with the costume.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with you, however it does give rise to an interesting question... Hair or Costume!?!

Hair or Costume hm ...

Hair or Costume hm ...

Hair or Costume hm ...

Both.

Vanity Fair's take on the costume:

"[Costume designer Colleen] Atwood’s crime-fighter costume is far more elegant than any of its 80s iterations, thanks to the dignified silhouette, tasteful material, and sophisticated palette. With a high neck, covered midriff, and modesty-saving tights, Benoist’s Supergirl will hopefully prove that you don’t have to flash T&A or be vacuum-packed into a latex pantsuit to fight crime as a female. You may still have to wear heels though. (As VF.com’s superhero expert Joanna Robinson points out on Twitter, the strategic shadows in the photo prevent us from knowing whether Supergirl is wearing heels or, in a triumph of comfort, flat boots.)

And gone are the days of coloring all superhero costumes from the same color palette reserved for children’s birthday parties. This Supergirl prefers crimson, navy, and a subdued metallic—both sophisticated and, as Entertainment Weekly points out, a closer sartorial match to Harry Cavill’s Superman costume.

Atwood, who has previously designed costumes for The Flash and Arrow, issued a statement about her creation, telling fans, 'In designing Supergirl, I wanted to embrace the past, but more importantly, thrust her into the street-style action hero of today.'"

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/03/supergirl-melissa-benoist-costume

"[Costume designer Colleen] Atwood’s crime-fighter costume is far more elegant than any of its 80s iterations, thanks to the dignified silhouette, tasteful material, and sophisticated palette. With a high neck, covered midriff, and modesty-saving tights, Benoist’s Supergirl will hopefully prove that you don’t have to flash T&A or be vacuum-packed into a latex pantsuit to fight crime as a female. You may still have to wear heels though. (As VF.com’s superhero expert Joanna Robinson points out on Twitter, the strategic shadows in the photo prevent us from knowing whether Supergirl is wearing heels or, in a triumph of comfort, flat boots.)

And gone are the days of coloring all superhero costumes from the same color palette reserved for children’s birthday parties. This Supergirl prefers crimson, navy, and a subdued metallic—both sophisticated and, as Entertainment Weekly points out, a closer sartorial match to Harry Cavill’s Superman costume.

Atwood, who has previously designed costumes for The Flash and Arrow, issued a statement about her creation, telling fans, 'In designing Supergirl, I wanted to embrace the past, but more importantly, thrust her into the street-style action hero of today.'"

Maybe they'll bring in Power Girl to balance out all the "taste"?

supergirl_full_01.jpg

I've been negative about the costume, but I'm just happy we have a real actress in this role.

In the past I thought Marley Shelton would have rocked the role in the early 2000's based on her similiar looks to the character, but after watching Melissa Benoist dominate her limited scenes in 'Whiplash' with so much quiet emotion, I think she's gonna carry this show pretty far.

That break-up scene was one of the best I have ever seen on celluloid. The way he just kept kicking her in the face, metaphorically, and her reaction that never overdid it was brilliant. At work, we discussed if she really had a boyfriend or not. I thought it was a ploy to just try to keep him out of her life. It was a pretty fast rebound for a quiet, yet lonely gal.

Can you say "propaganda"...

That article basically says everything we've said but with a positive spin!

...It's almost as if they'd been reading this thread hm

supergirl_full_01.jpg

I've been negative about the costume, but I'm just happy we have a real actress in this role.

In the past I thought Marley Shelton would have rocked the role in the early 2000's based on her similiar looks to the character, but after watching Melissa Benoist dominate her limited scenes in 'Whiplash' with so much quiet emotion, I think she's gonna carry this show pretty far.

Yes, the perfect choice. Couldn't ask for a better actress. Her screen presence is quite simply breathtaking... Can we bleach her hair now?

;)