• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERGIRL official TV show thread
3 3

2,562 posts in this topic

The beginning was pretty cheesy and would rival George Reeves 50's series Krypton opening for schlock. Way too rushed. But, luckily Benoist shows up to "save the day" with her every-gurl narration. Calista Flockhart is playing her character too icy, her character feels like an afterthought anyway. Chyler Leigh adds a lot humanity to Kara's older sis. Hopefully, the dynamic holds throughout. Ever since Frozen, sisters who actually love each other is such a refreshing change. Benoist proved she didn't need fancy TV level effects to carry believable self doubt on her shoulders before the climax, she's just a great actress. The violence was especially stunning with each blow and kick Kara received and felt like there actually might not be a neat/tidy wrap-up for her at the end of the episode as with other weekly "Super" serials from Lois & Clark to Smallville. It's refreshing to see a woman action star get her hands dirty in a a fight actually. Meaning, I was "buying" the fight's set-up compared to The Matrixs or Charlie's Angels of celluloid. One thing's for sure, I'm tuning in next Monday. (thumbs u

Yes definitely a rushed start... one minute she saved the plane, then she's revealing her secret identity to her colleague at the first opportunity. And that was a great bit where she turned the plane 90° through the bridge however the landing was too abrupt. Should've been 90 minutes (thumbs u

I think the fight scenes will only improve with time but I do want to see some blurry super-speed action :taptaptap: And she is Supergirl... I hope she's not going to be squarely matched EVERY episode. She should be pounding the bad guys to pulp ;)

Fort Ross

:golfclap:

I don't mean to be critical, but how did she go from getting her ### handed to her to trashing the same dude later in the episode?

That seems to happen a lot in film, TV and comics!

Not digging the idea of Phantom Zone criminals as the main foil. When does Toyman come in?

He's now a Kryptonian prisoner... ;)

Yes definitely a rushed start... one minute she saved the plane, then she's revealing her secret identity to her colleague at the first opportunity. And that was a great bit where she turned the plane 90° through the bridge however the landing was too abrupt. Should've been 90 minutes (thumbs u
Yeah, I think it should have been 90 mins too. It would have been a great homage to Superman II if her colleague who had a crush on her, suspected she might be the Maid of Might and set up little challenges for her until the roof scene. It would have showed how intelligent he was, then showed a responsibility side as he develops her costume, helping get past his lovestruck character arc into a more important character in her universe. But, if we got more of him, I probably would have asked for more of Calista's Cat character in another Jerel universe. You weren't going to win with some of theses thinly developed secondary characters.

It's a comic book TV show. Not 'I Claudius' on the BBC.

I like how they delivered the show, even with its tiny flaws. As a foundation episode, it felt like they captured the main characters in a way it will remain interesting.

I especially like how Supergirl comes across as this powerful being that still comes across as a young girl learning about life while taking on more than any one individual should be expected to deal with.

Supergirl's Live+3 Ratings Make For An Even Bigger Premiere

CBS has released the Live+3 ratings for the Supergirl series premiere, giving a fuller sense for how many people watched the show -- and taking on an extra 3 million viewers in doing so. Live+3 takes account of live viewers plus the three days following on DVR.

DVR rose the show by 3.17 million viewers to a total of 16.13 million. That three-day period also rose Supergirl to a 4.1 rating in Adults 18-49.

For context, the premiere for Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was considered a massive success for ABC, and it had almost identical numbers. Its live numbers were marginally smaller than Supergirl's, and the Live+3 for Supergirl were outperformed by S.H.I.E.L.D. slightly. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. went up from 12.1 million to 15.8 million.

:o

lol

I would've switched off if it had been! "I, Kara" hm;)

It was pretty good. I'll be watching it every week (thumbs u

You better!

:sumo:

:baiting:

lol

It's Supergirl... If it ended up worse than a remake of the Helen Slater movie without Helen Slater, I'd still watch it every week ;)

Yeah, I think it should have been 90 mins too. It would have been a great homage to Superman II if her colleague who had a crush on her, suspected she might be the Maid of Might and set up little challenges for her until the roof scene. It would have showed how intelligent he was, then showed a responsibility side as he develops her costume, helping get past his lovestruck character arc into a more important character in her universe. But, if we got more of him, I probably would have asked for more of Calista's Cat character in another Jerel universe. You weren't going to win with some of theses thinly developed secondary characters.

I like that idea (thumbs u

How about a DCJU...? ;)

I don't mean to be critical, but how did she go from getting her ### handed to her to trashing the same dude later in the episode?

Not digging the idea of Phantom Zone criminals as the main foil. When does Toyman come in?

That's the same issue I have. Its an easy plot line to work from. Bring in a new Phantom Zone bad guy each week, Sounds a little redundant. I think they casted everyone well though. Melissa Benoist makes a good Supergirl, I just hope they can improve the storylines.

I like how they delivered the show, even with its tiny flaws. As a foundation episode, it felt like they captured the main characters in a way it will remain interesting.

I especially like how Supergirl comes across as this powerful being that still comes across as a young girl learning about life while taking on more than any one individual should be expected to deal with.

Well, excuuuuuuse me. I just have a somewhat benefit to occasionally write adventurous stuff.

I like that idea (thumbs u

How about a DCJU...? ;)

If I was doing it, Mary Marvel and Batgirl would be in it for more girl power. Sounds like a terrific launch pad for them without interfering with big-budget films down the road, it's brand afterall. Right now, I think it would be a huge mistake if a superpowered guy saves her tush even once, when a female villian was revealed. This show isn't gonna win Emmy's, but it's gonna be a crucial building block for DC TV properties for a wider audience (girls) seeking a healthy dose of fun that Constan... whatever failed at for NBC. I only critique it now, because the 3rd season of Wonder Woman played opposite to it yesterday night. That excrement is pretty unwatchable now (Special guest villian Henry Gibson reciting his whole scheme while skydiving in the opening of one episode or Wolfman Jack hypnotising kids at discos). Hoping they don't give into camp and hold their theme.