• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERGIRL official TV show thread
3 3

2,562 posts in this topic

missing only on Constantine.

What was missing on Constantine?

honestly, I think a large part of it was it being on NBC on a weird night.

While NBC has SOME popular shows and isn't a dumpster fire anymore, I think they're having trouble identifying their markets for shows and reaching them. BUT they still have ultra high expectations.

CW shows skew younger towards their target audience, and market and schedule accordingly. Constantine doesn't market as scary or funny or sexy enough for a specific audience ON A MAJOR NETWORK, and while we all might love it, there's not like a zillion Hellblazer readers chomping to watch the show.

Put it on Syfy? I think you've got a sustainable show with realistic goals, even on a smaller budget.

I thought the stories were ok, but they didn't MAKE me need to watch next week.

missing only on Constantine.

What was missing on Constantine?

honestly, I think a large part of it was it being on NBC on a weird night.

While NBC has SOME popular shows and isn't a dumpster fire anymore, I think they're having trouble identifying their markets for shows and reaching them. BUT they still have ultra high expectations.

CW shows skew younger towards their target audience, and market and schedule accordingly. Constantine doesn't market as scary or funny or sexy enough for a specific audience ON A MAJOR NETWORK, and while we all might love it, there's not like a zillion Hellblazer readers chomping to watch the show.

Put it on Syfy? I think you've got a sustainable show with realistic goals, even on a smaller budget.

I thought the stories were ok, but they didn't MAKE me need to watch next week.

I agree with your thinking on setting this up on a network with little clue how to handle Constantine, horrible show time, and very little marketing.

The show really started picking up when Zed started jelling with the rest of the story. But that doesn't mean the show will be for everyone.

Memo to DC:

Just stop with the movies that are too serious, blow up too many buildings, kill too many people, and literally take too much color away -- to the point where kids really have no interest in watching DC movies. Focus on TV. Do what is being done on Arrow, Flash and now Supergirl. Rinse and repeat.

That Supergirl extended trailer had all the magic of the '78 Superman movie, and more. :applause: Incredible!

Quite a high kill count in Arrow S1 though... as compared to the comic where GA kills ONE guy... and boy, what a fuss they made... ;)

I thought it looked great, not crazy about Jimmy Olsen as a black man, but they only throw that in there so people won't complain about an all white cast. I think the show will be a big hit.

This actually looks good. But it still bugs me a little that the DC television and cinematic universes are separate... guess Marvel's got me spoiled in that department. And I'm a big DC fan!

Cute, but never pictured Jimmy Olson as a black guy with the body of a male model. Where are the freckles. Flockhart has had some major face work done, her skin looks stretched.

Edited by krighton

I find it funny that DC doesn't know what to do with "Jimmy Olson"

First he was a white nerdy teenager (Jimmy Olson, original 80's film)

Then he became a "she", minus the nerdy part but still uncomfortable (Jenny Olson, Man of Steel)

Now, he's back to being a male BUT a black, matured dude (James Olson, Supergirl tv show)

Has any other DC character been given this much identity crisis??

Cute, but never pictured Jimmy Olson as a black guy with the body of a male model. Where are the freckles. Flockhart has had some major face work done, her skin looks stretched.

[font:Book Antiqua]+ 1 I like Jimmy as a red head / teenager

also @ 24 still calling her "girl" please...[/font]

:eyeroll:

not bad i like it, it's different to what we have across other shows.

:applause:

I like it!

I think I'm going to like it! :whee:

A little "Devil wears Prada" a touch of "Ally McBeal" a smidge of "He's Just Not That Into You" and a healthy dose of "Reveal your secret identity to pretty much everyone" lol

I thought it looked great, not crazy about Jimmy Olsen as a black man, but they only throw that in there so people won't complain about an all white cast. I think the show will be a big hit.

I will predict it will have higher ratings than Arrow or Flash.

Why?

It has a built in audience.

As much as we like Flash and Arrow we will find Supergirl is much more popular than them with mainstream.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I liked it! Speculating on how long it will last is pointless because it's based on so many factors beyond quality, but the good thing is they seem to have a concept of how they want to handle things and the concept seems fun and sound.

A few observations/questions

1. How many DC TV universes are we up to now? Forget cinematic ...you've got Arrow/Flash, Gotham, Smallville, Preacher, Lucifer and now Supergirl? Crazy stuff. You do have to give it to Marvel for integration.

2. The "big blue" elephant in the room. Showing Superman in the trailer and referring to him is going to make it very hard not to use him. I mean, it's Superman. You can't make the excuse that he's "far away".... At least not all the time without it being awkward. Feels like they're going to need to use him somehow, but carefully.