• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERGIRL official TV show thread
3 3

2,562 posts in this topic

Supergirl renewed and moving to The CW

Supergirl has been renewed for a second season — but will be moving from CBS to The CW, EW has learned.

Supergirl, which stars Melissa Benoist as the Girl of Steel, will now air on The CW, joining the other super series in producer Greg Berlanti’s universe, Arrow, The Flash, and DC’s Legends of Tomorrow.

Since Supergirl was first announced in development at CBS, both fans and industry insiders have questioned whether the major network famous for its crime dramas was the right fit for the show. Previously, CBS Entertainment chairman Nina Tassler defended the pickup, telling EW, “For our network right now, what we did respond to was the character’s humanity, the other characters in the show as well – the story trajectory and the character’s arc and growth. These are all things that made her just imminently relatable, and made the story exciting.”

The series debuted in October to 13 million viewers and a 3.1 in the 18-49 demographic, but subsequently dropped to around 6.11 million and a 1.3 by its season finale in the next-day ratings. Currently, including DVR playback, the show’s season has averaged around 9.8 million viewers and a 2.4 in the demo, ranking in the bottom half of CBS’ programming in total viewers and 8th in the demo. Still, if the show’s audience remained close to the same, the numbers would be a boom for The CW. The network’s highest rated show, The Flash, has been averaging around 5.7 million viewers factoring in DVR.

Reports also have it that the series will move production from Los Angeles to Vancouver, where those other shows also film, but The CW would not confirm. The move could also bring more cross-over opportunities between Berlanti-verse brands, such as when The Flash joined Supergirl earlier this year.

The show’s budget is likely to be impacted. The Supergirl pilot cost a reported $14 million and the per-episode cost is reportedly around $3 million. As Berlanti once told EW: “The other thing I would say was incredibly hard, was just trying to do something of this scope and size, and, quite truthfully, in Los Angeles. It’s an expensive city to shoot in. These things don’t come cheap, and we didn’t want to do it if we couldn’t give it the scope that it really deserves.”

That means Supergirl 2.0 will likely be a more frugal production. Shooting in Vancouver instead of Los Angeles should alone bring some of the cost down, but it remains to be seen whether fans will be able to ascertain any production value difference on screen.

:whee: Should mean more crossovers and less likely to be canceled after just one or two seasons since the ratings don't have to be as high on the CW to keep the show going. Only downside is the budget being lower on the CW, but it sounds like moving production from LA to Vancouver should help, and if they can produce Flash with a CW budget, no reason they can't do the same with Supergirl.

A-friggin-men!

:applause:

Well CBS is a very intimate partner with WB (who owns DC), as they own the CW (50/50), which is mostly DC comic book shows at this point. And both sides generally seem to be happy, as they all get renewed on CW. Enough people are watching Supergirl and it's reviewed well enough that I'm sure it will be fine.

With all that said, how many feel a move from CBS to CW could prove interesting?

Just sayin' (again because no one replied to that the first time around.. Really hope it does move to CW.

Well CBS is a very intimate partner with WB (who owns DC), as they own the CW (50/50), which is mostly DC comic book shows at this point. And both sides generally seem to be happy, as they all get renewed on CW. Enough people are watching Supergirl and it's reviewed well enough that I'm sure it will be fine.

With all that said, how many feel a move from CBS to CW could prove interesting?

Just sayin' (again because no one replied to that the first time around.. Really hope it does move to CW.

You called it!

:applause:

Seriously if this goes through it actually makes me very excited. I think, as had been said, the ratings are going to shine on CW. And being in a business model where crossovers can more easily happen. For a long while I was not overly fond of THE FLASH and stopped watching about halfway through Season 1. Well the Supergirl/Flash crossover brought me back to the Flash in a binge watch kind of way and now I am really enjoying it. I also noticed in The Flash where there were some Arrow crossovers, and those have rekindled my desire to the up Arrow again. Which I had stopped similar to the way I stopped Flash.

And now we know

what was in the pod in Supergirl's final scene

: a 12 years old Greg Berlanti sent to watch over Kara!!!

Good. Screw CBS (and NBC for their treatment of Constatine too.) Let CW have it and hopefully we get even more cross-overs, which is what we always like anyway. :D

Poor Constantine.....they should have pulled him over to the CW. This Supergirl news proves they could have and didn't for some strange reason.

Hey Belantii......isn't the most highly rated episode of Arrow STILL the one where Constantine shows up? That was rhetorical....the answer is YES.

Well, still glad for Supergirl and the mega potential for more crossovers.

I wonder how much the budget has been cut? I know the show was reported to be 3 mil per episode. No way CW can afford that. I can't see them spending any more than about 2 mil per episode. The move to Vancouver should help some, but what else will need to give. Granted Calista Flockhart was apparently the main reason it was shot in LA to begin with, so we will see how long she remains with the show given that.

Apparently CW does now officially stand for Comic World Network.

Edited by drotto

The odd thing about the budget is the effects weren't as good as they are on Flash & Legends. They blow Supergirl out of the water. Anyone know what the budgets for those shows are?

I agree, and that might have been part of the reason for the change. Maybe they can get a big ol' group discount on special effects if they're all on the same network. And the CW is also partially owned by Warners, so there's probably other efficiencies to be had there.

I think they should try to get Constantine to BBC America for a short series like orphan black

Supergirl's Melissa Benoits And Laura Benanti Sing Gasoline And Matches

ABC's Nashville might have been cancelled, but that doesn't mean its catchy song "Gasoline and Matches" has gone away.

During an appearance at the Center On the Aisle Celebration, held at Feinstein’s 54 Below in New York Monday, Supergirl stars Melissa Benoist and Laura Benanti performed the song onstage together.

It was part of a night of performances -- which also included Supergirl's Jeremy Jordan -- honoring Benanti, an award-winning stage and screen actress who has a long history of working with Supergirl showrunner Greg Berlanti.

Don't know if this has been mentioned but Supergirl is following in the footsteps of its foremothers shows of super powered female leads: Wonder Woman and The Bionic Woman.

Wonder Woman's first season was on ABC. Set in WW2, the show was a hit for the network but if I'm correct ABC didn't want to go forward with a (costly)period piece and didn't renew, but CBS stepped in picked it up, and it ran for two more seasons, albeit, set in modern(70's at that time)times.

The Bionic Woman ran for two seasons on ABC but when they didn't want to do a third NBC picked it up where it ran for one more final season. The third season had a major change in that the show that spawned it, The Six Million Dollar Man was still on ABC. And the networks were not crossing over then so Steve Austin of TSMDM could no longer team up with Jamie Sommers TBW. Oddly enough both shows had two of the same recurring characters that were allowed to double dip.

Be interesting to see any future similarities with this change.

Edited by Sagii