• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERGIRL official TV show thread
3 3

2,562 posts in this topic

I'm interested in seeing if the writing gets better in season 2...
I'm holding on to hope. A lot of shows writing gets better during the second season, after a disappointing first season. I can think of only one (The Facts of Life) at the moment. Where cast and writing changes shot it to the top of the ratings. Supergirl was CBS's most anticipated show of the Fall. I'm sure if it's renewed, it will be altered a bit.

My advice to the producers would be ground it more from the world domination plots to more simple crimes. This is what killed The Greatest American Hero during the second season. Cut down on the needlessly cheap effects shots (those fakey long shots of people in flight.) They should focus harder on guest villians and how they alter Kara's life as well, not just the beatdown aspects (but those are charmingly retro in Walker: Texas Ranger way.) Hate to say it, but the villian of the week might be just the ticket, if it's written with a social commentary of a girl just trying to get by. It'll keep the budget low.

Supergirl just proved she could save the world despite doubting herself, so what now she's going to do it again next season because she knows she can. Yawn.

A slightly long but very detailed review of Season One, and why Supergirl has a strong chance for a Season Two.

SCREEN RANT: Why Supergirl Deserves a Second Season

When Supergirl premiered on CBS late in 2015, it joined a rather lengthy list of superhero-focused TV that included Fox’s Gotham, Netflix’s Daredevil, ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Agent Carter, as well as The CW’s DC Comics universe consisting of Arrow and The Flash. Throughout Supergirl’s first season, it has been joined by new series like Netflix’s Jessica Jones and The CW’s Legends of Tomorrow. All this is to say, Supergirl arrived at a time in which TV fans have a glut of options ranging in various tones and subject matter all under the superhero umbrella.

Still, Supergirl made a name for itself right out the gate by setting a Fall 2015 record high with its premiere ratings and drawing 14 million viewers – perhaps helped along by the buzz created when the pilot leaked earlier in the year. Created by Ali Adler (No Ordinary Family, Chuck) and Greg Berlanti (the architect behind Arrow, The Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow), Supergirl seemed to provide perfect counter-programming to the other superhero series on television with its light and optimistic tone.

So, does Supergirl deserve a second season? Looking at the ratings, the crossover potential with The CW’s DC Comics shows, the storytelling season 1 got right, and the series’ handling of its female protagonist, the answer is an unequivocal “Yes.” Supergirl may not appeal to all viewers or offer the type of superhero drama certain comic fans are looking for, but the Girl of Steel has gained a dedicated fanbase and offers a take on comic book TV different from many other shows currently airing. A second season would allow Supergirl to iron out the kinks from season 1 and continue to provide a unique take on the superhero genre.

As to when we’ll find out the fate of Supergirl, CBS will be hosting its upfront presentation on May 18th, according to Media Village and it’s likely we’ll learn if Supergirl will receive a second season at that time. Whether the freshman superhero drama will receive the official stamp of approval from the network remains to be seen, but Supergirl certainly deserves a second season.

I think for season 2, Kara and J'onn should rent a Winnebago and travel the highways and byways of Southern California looking for local trouble. It worked before on CBS.

shazam-live-action-2.jpg

I think for season 2, Kara and J'onn should rent a Winnebago and travel the highways and byways of Southern California looking for local trouble. It worked before on CBS.

shazam-live-action-2.jpg

And ten years later. travelling the roads in a custom van:

Edited by ThatPovGuy

shazam-live-action-2.jpg

:applause:

SUPERGIRL's Future Is In Doubt As Warner Bros. Mull Budget Cuts And A Possible Move To The CW

The Wrap reveals that CBS and Warner Bros. are currently deep in talks about the future of Supergirl, and with just two weeks to go until the network announce their fall schedule, the clock is ticking and the pressure is on. CBS want the show to come back, but the fact that it costs $3 million an episode to produce is a major issue for them, especially as the series lost around half of its viewers over the course of the season. Supergirl still did good numbers, but not quite good enough to justify an amount as high as that it seems.

However, here's where things get interesting. The trade mentions that, "Both sides have a potential out. Moonves could push 'Supergirl' to The CW, which as it happens is a joint venture between CBS and Warners (Moonves and his team are responsible for programming the network). Such a switch would make perfect sense. The youth-skewing CW already has “The Flash” and other superhero franchises (there was a crossover between 'Supergirl' and 'The Flash' this season), and its audience is much more aligned with 'Supergirl] than is CBS’ much-grayer viewership."

This may not be a bad thing. Though poor Constantine ended up in the same boat, Supergirl would make much more sense when blended in with The Flash, Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow.

I hope it does move to the CW. Even though I've heard mixed reviews, I would've watched the season if it aired on Hulu or whatnot.

I never thought CBS was the right fit, and they probably lost a lot of potential next day viewers by only streaming the show on their own service.

THE FLASH's Tom Cavanagh Says SUPERGIRL Is Headed To Vancouver

Just yesterday, reports came in that Warner Bros. were considering on cutting the budget for Supergirl and having the show make a jump from CBS to the CW. For Warner Bros. to move a show to a different network might seem risky, but it wouldn't be hard, considering both networks participate in a joint venture. It seemed like it was more likely for the show to have its budget cut rather than to move it to a different network, but a recent interview with The Flash's Tom Cavanagh suggests that Supergirl might actually make her way to the CW.

"We like to call it an empire," Cavanagh said jokingly about the CW's superhero presence in Vancouver. "I think Supergirl is coming up there next week, Legends [of Tomorrow] shoots up there, Arrow shoots up there, all the superheroes shoot up there." Cavanagh could be reffering to the show possibly planning another crossover, but from the previous reports and the show's ratings not being what Warner Bros. and CBS was hoping for, it's more than likely that the Girl of Steel is headed to the CW.

:wishluck:

THE FLASH's Tom Cavanagh Says SUPERGIRL Is Headed To Vancouver

Just yesterday, reports came in that Warner Bros. were considering on cutting the budget for Supergirl and having the show make a jump from CBS to the CW. For Warner Bros. to move a show to a different network might seem risky, but it wouldn't be hard, considering both networks participate in a joint venture. It seemed like it was more likely for the show to have its budget cut rather than to move it to a different network, but a recent interview with The Flash's Tom Cavanagh suggests that Supergirl might actually make her way to the CW.

"We like to call it an empire," Cavanagh said jokingly about the CW's superhero presence in Vancouver. "I think Supergirl is coming up there next week, Legends [of Tomorrow] shoots up there, Arrow shoots up there, all the superheroes shoot up there." Cavanagh could be reffering to the show possibly planning another crossover, but from the previous reports and the show's ratings not being what Warner Bros. and CBS was hoping for, it's more than likely that the Girl of Steel is headed to the CW.

:wishluck:

Oh good, someone else opened their mouth first. Yeah, I've heard it is moving here as well Edited by Darjis_

SUPERGIRL Takes One Step Closer To The CW As CBS Nears Decision On Show's Future

CBS still hasn't made a decision on whether or not they'll be bringing Supergirl back for a second season, but Deadline reports that talks of moving the DC Comics series to The CW are "now real."

However, with production already confirmed to move from Los Angeles to Vancouver (which is a cost cutting measure), it would certainly make sense for Supergirl to become part of The CW family. According to the trade, "It was up to CBS Corp. chairman Les Moonves, who is holding all the cards in the situation since the company controls CBS and the programming on the CW, to make the call whether Supergirl would stay or not on CBS and whether it would go to the CW. Being based on a DC property, if it moves to the CW, Supergirl would remain solely owned by WBTV and not a co-production with CBS TV Studios as the original CW series automatically become."

Supergirl renewed and moving to The CW

Supergirl has been renewed for a second season — but will be moving from CBS to The CW, EW has learned.

Supergirl, which stars Melissa Benoist as the Girl of Steel, will now air on The CW, joining the other super series in producer Greg Berlanti’s universe, Arrow, The Flash, and DC’s Legends of Tomorrow.

Since Supergirl was first announced in development at CBS, both fans and industry insiders have questioned whether the major network famous for its crime dramas was the right fit for the show. Previously, CBS Entertainment chairman Nina Tassler defended the pickup, telling EW, “For our network right now, what we did respond to was the character’s humanity, the other characters in the show as well – the story trajectory and the character’s arc and growth. These are all things that made her just imminently relatable, and made the story exciting.”

The series debuted in October to 13 million viewers and a 3.1 in the 18-49 demographic, but subsequently dropped to around 6.11 million and a 1.3 by its season finale in the next-day ratings. Currently, including DVR playback, the show’s season has averaged around 9.8 million viewers and a 2.4 in the demo, ranking in the bottom half of CBS’ programming in total viewers and 8th in the demo. Still, if the show’s audience remained close to the same, the numbers would be a boom for The CW. The network’s highest rated show, The Flash, has been averaging around 5.7 million viewers factoring in DVR.

Reports also have it that the series will move production from Los Angeles to Vancouver, where those other shows also film, but The CW would not confirm. The move could also bring more cross-over opportunities between Berlanti-verse brands, such as when The Flash joined Supergirl earlier this year.

The show’s budget is likely to be impacted. The Supergirl pilot cost a reported $14 million and the per-episode cost is reportedly around $3 million. As Berlanti once told EW: “The other thing I would say was incredibly hard, was just trying to do something of this scope and size, and, quite truthfully, in Los Angeles. It’s an expensive city to shoot in. These things don’t come cheap, and we didn’t want to do it if we couldn’t give it the scope that it really deserves.”

That means Supergirl 2.0 will likely be a more frugal production. Shooting in Vancouver instead of Los Angeles should alone bring some of the cost down, but it remains to be seen whether fans will be able to ascertain any production value difference on screen.

:whee: Should mean more crossovers and less likely to be canceled after just one or two seasons since the ratings don't have to be as high on the CW to keep the show going. Only downside is the budget being lower on the CW, but it sounds like moving production from LA to Vancouver should help, and if they can produce Flash with a CW budget, no reason they can't do the same with Supergirl.